Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2007, 22:49   #1
BANNED

Is this the indication to change the battery ?

Guys it has been more then 2 yeras that we bought scorpio it clocked 73,000 km till now this is the first time that my scorpio refused to start.

when i turned the keys their was some strange sound comming from the battery and the lightes also became dim..then i called my mechanic..he bought a battery along with him ,he connected it and now my scorpio started
Now i want to ask u guys is this the indication to change my battery.....?
what is the life of the battery that comes from the company????i got amaron battery from the company .
Old 28th July 2007, 23:18   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

2 years is a short time for a new battery to fail in a modern alternator-driven car; older dynamo-charged cars did have a reputation of not consistently charging the battery at required levels.

Amaron is one of the better brands today. There are regular cases where the stock battery has come around for upto 4 years under normal usage. if 4 yrs seem to be the upper limit 3 yrs is still an expected life of a new battery in a modern car - under normal usage.

Chk to see if the battery is getting charged properly in your car - without headlights; and with headlights-main beam
Old 28th July 2007, 23:37   #3
BANNED

as soon as the car stared i travelled around 7 kms and reached home..and i tryed to stop the car and start again.,..i thought the battery will get charged to some extent atleast ,the battery was totally dead..the car didnt even crank..???what might be the problem guys ...
Old 28th July 2007, 23:38   #4
BHPian

Check if it needs some Battery Water or Simple Charging, which could have happened if the Alternator was not providing the right current.

Ideal time for an OEM to knock off is from 18 months- 48 months depending on the user feedback right here.

Some had the OEM go in 18 months, while others even clocked above 3 years with the OEM.

My Lancer's OEM Exide went off 30 months later.
Old 28th July 2007, 23:41   #5
Senior - BHPian

It is time to check the battery. Sometimes they do conk off in 2 years.
Old 29th July 2007, 10:56   #6
Senior - BHPian

Amaron conking off in 2 years is rare. Was the battery properly maintained during these years? Alternator malfunctioning could be a factor, but the indication would have come much too earlier.

Batteries conking off suddenly without any prior indication is quite an often occurrence. The same happened with me as well. Went to relatives for dinner and their son wanted a ride in my Scorpio. The truck wouldn't start; the lights would go dim and some funny sound emanated from the bonnet. Had to push start, aborted the dinner and returned home.

Next day morning too the same scenario. Push started and went to mechanic. One of the cell of the battery had gone bust. Replaced the battery; now a happy man.

Assuming all parameters are ok, boy, you need a battery replacement asap.
Old 29th July 2007, 11:11   #7
BHPian

battery and alternator unit need to be checked

Please get battery specific gravity and if alternator is charging the battery. Since you could drive 7 KMs after start there are no supply problems from alternator, but there could be problems with alternator charging the battery. You need to do 2 things

First get the battery checked if it can retain charge, if so get it recharged, secondly get the alternator unit checked to see if it is charging the battery.
Old 29th July 2007, 11:48   #8
Senior - BHPian

Check Battery water and get the battery recharged by Amaron.
It should help.
Old 30th July 2007, 22:17   #9
BANNED

guys got the battery checked..its the battery problem one of the cell got damaged..
buyed new battery same amaron itself got 1 1/2 year warranty(complete battery replace ment in case if the battery gets damaged with in this period) and costed me around 4000 after exchaging the old battery is the price correct guys.??
Old 30th July 2007, 22:21   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenopio View Post
buyed new battery same amaron itself got 1 1/2 year warranty(complete battery replace ment in case if the battery gets damaged with in this period) and costed me around 4000 after exchaging the old battery is the price correct guys.??
1 1/2 years looks like a wierd warrenty period. Isn't it supposed to be 3 years?

Bala

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks