Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2007, 14:20   #1
BHPian

maruti wagonr knocking

Experts,

This is for my co brother's WagonR ( petrol model). Problem is

while on higher ( relatively) gear, if he has to downshift, he experiences knocking after releasing the clutch (after the downshift). The other problem he faces is the vehicle needs to go further than the normal rpms to shift to the next higher gear. for example if he was able to shift to fifth gear from fourth at 40 kph , now the same can be done only at 50kph.

He could feel the drop in power throughout the drive but they are more evident and uncomfortable during gearshifts.

He had experienced the same problem about an year ago and the service center guys said that it was a problem with ignitor and had it replaced. The same problem has come up again

Has any WagonR owners or other petrol car owners experienced the same problem? IF so, what was done to rectify this?

-tortoise
Old 29th July 2007, 14:44   #2
Team-BHP Support

You mean, the problem occured recently?

Sure petrol is of good quality? Guess you could also try cleaning the air filter.
Old 11th December 2007, 17:33   #3
BHPian

I was searching a thread that has a solution to the experience posted by @tortoise. Can someone suggest a solution here.
Old 11th December 2007, 19:59   #4
Team-BHP Support

what exactly you want to know aby?

Is it exact same as tortoise mentioned?
Old 11th December 2007, 21:39   #5
BHPian

i was having the same problem in my zen 2003 mpfi but my engine turns off and sometimes knocking...before few days the mechanic said the fault was with the ignition wires so got it cleaned but problem still persisted. yesterday the problem came again and i got the spark plugs replaced.i think the problem has been fixed.
previously i was using iridium spark plugs but got them changed to champion plugs yesterday..
Old 12th December 2007, 07:46   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

The Knocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoise View Post
Experts,

This is for my co brother's WagonR ( petrol model). Problem is

while on higher ( relatively) gear, if he has to downshift, he experiences knocking after releasing the clutch (after the downshift). The other problem he faces is the vehicle needs to go further than the normal rpms to shift to the next higher gear. for example if he was able to shift to fifth gear from fourth at 40 kph , now the same can be done only at 50kph.

He could feel the drop in power throughout the drive but they are more evident and uncomfortable during gearshifts.

He had experienced the same problem about an year ago and the service center guys said that it was a problem with ignitor and had it replaced. The same problem has come up again

Has any WagonR owners or other petrol car owners experienced the same problem? IF so, what was done to rectify this?

-tortoise
1.Has engine oil been changed religiously as recommended?(every10k kms)
2.How many kms has the car done?

My Fears:
1.It appears that the engine's compression is a tad weak.
2.The ignition timing I do not suspect this much as the WagonR has distributorless ignition.
Old 12th December 2007, 10:08   #7
BANNED

Get the spark plug clean ,,, problem shd get solved !
Old 13th December 2007, 15:32   #8
BHPian

Thanks everyone for reply.
My WagonR has done just 4k kms. Its done its 2nd service in 1st week of Oct. Its not yet time to change the engine oil.
I fill only from Shell (so hope there is no adulteration)
Their is knocking and miss even while accelerating in all the gears. (probably less noticed in 1st gear)
Could that be due to tuning that happened during the 2nd service.
Old 13th December 2007, 16:50   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Knock..Knock

Quote:
Originally Posted by aby.sam View Post
My WagonR has done just 4k kms. Its done its 2nd service in 1st week of Oct. Its not yet time to change the engine oil.
Their is knocking and miss even while accelerating in all the gears. (probably less noticed in 1st gear)
If it is only 4k kms,then there is some problem with the vehicle's tuning/ignition timing.Please have this checked.
Old 13th December 2007, 17:46   #10
Senior - BHPian

Spark plugs/Air fliter..might be the culprits. Try tpo clean them and change if possible. BTW, how does your co-brother drive?
Old 13th December 2007, 19:56   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yasw_anth View Post
i was having the same problem in my zen 2003 mpfi but my engine turns off and sometimes knocking...before few days the mechanic said the fault was with the ignition wires so got it cleaned but problem still persisted. yesterday the problem came again and i got the spark plugs replaced.i think the problem has been fixed.
previously i was using iridium spark plugs but got them changed to champion plugs yesterday..
Have your car's engine shrudder vanished completely, which you had mentioned in the thread by me?
Old 14th December 2007, 16:06   #12
BHPian

have recently bought wagonr.
have been facing 2 problems.
1. after the 1st service, i see that engine is knocking, when moving from 2nd to higher gears. though i rev engine it seems like petrol supply is cut-off.

2. while in traffic, on hitting brake, car moves backwards. maybe because the road is inclined backwards. but if i continuosly hold brake, car shouldnt move at all?
Old 14th December 2007, 20:34   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetans View Post
2. while in traffic, on hitting brake, car moves backwards. maybe because the road is inclined backwards. but if i continuosly hold brake, car shouldnt move at all?
With the engine off, the car may move unless you press it hard. this is because of the hydraulic system.

However, it SHOULDN'T move with brake pressed when the engine is on. If so, get it checked.
Old 15th December 2007, 18:41   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aby.sam View Post
@aby.sam,
I too faced exactly the same problem with my petrol Wagon R, and coincidentaly at 4K kms.
The techn at maruti service center replaced the ignitor rod...ofcourse free of cost (under warranty) and now the problem has disappeared. So just get it checked before suspecting any other engine problem.
Old 17th December 2007, 11:35   #15
BHPian

[quote=anuragn;658793The techn at maruti service center replaced the ignitor rod...ofcourse free of cost (under warranty) and now the problem has disappeared. So just get it checked before suspecting any other engine problem.[/quote]

I had been to Solar automobiles, St. Johns road. The technicians took the vehicle for a test drive and confirmed a problem of knocking (jerking). He too replaced the ignitor and it works well now.
Suspect this to be a common problem with all WagonR's. All those who face this issue, pl get them checked so that u replace it under warranty period. Service was really good at Solar. They serviced my vehicle for free though I didn't ask for it.

Most Viewed