Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2007, 16:34   #1
BHPian

tweaking Auto mech exhaust for different sound and power???

Its only been close to 1 month that im using automech exhaust in my lancer .Even though i was Very happy initially im getting bored of the loud exhaust note nw (lots of cars here have great exhaust notes). I want to know if i can change the sound to a slight sound with good bass and also can i change the power to midrange which is currently in the top end
Old 29th July 2007, 17:59   #2
BHPian

I guess you could change your end can to change the sound. Also to transfer your power to mid range your headers will have to be changed.
Old 29th July 2007, 19:51   #3
BHPian

How much will it set me back to change the end can???
Old 30th July 2007, 00:30   #4
BHPian

Dunno about the pricing. You could check out with automech themselves if they can work something out for you with a less noisy end can. You can try using your stock end can as well. Check out with the experts first though if it is possible.
Old 30th July 2007, 01:48   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

i have a automech FFE in my car and i got it installed last year,though the note was sporty it started feeling a bit too loud so i got OE endcan installed and the car has been running fine with no noticable drop in performance.
Old 30th July 2007, 15:10   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_maniac View Post
How much will it set me back to change the end can???
Generally between 1500-3000 bucks if locally made.
Quote:
Its only been close to 1 month that im using automech exhaust in my lancer .Even though i was Very happy initially im getting bored of the loud exhaust note nw (lots of cars here have great exhaust notes).
Oh yeah ask me , I went through it. It was a pain and would give me headaches and cause nausea during my long drives.
Old 1st August 2007, 01:28   #7
BHPian

But i dont want the sound to be muted..Changing to stock muffler will give the normal sound rite??..i want a Low bass sound..Heard getting magnaflow mufflers will do the trick(ya i knw its damn expensive )but had heard one swift with the magnaflow yesterday..just the kind of sound im looking for...
Old 1st August 2007, 01:43   #8
Senior - BHPian

hmmmm.. Now you want the bass effect to remain .

Well listen to this . The car in the front is mine and yes the end can looks like a stock end can. Custom made and has a nice bass effect.

I know it ain't that clear but then my point is that it can be done and not necessary for you to blow a bomb on the magnaflow.
Old 1st August 2007, 12:03   #9
Senior - BHPian

Only the end can and the mid mufflers affect the sound and not the headers as what people tend to believe look for a freeflow mid muffler to smoothen the sound down rather than doing any thing else. That would also deepen the bass of the exhaust note. PS you need to use an end can with a really large opening for really loud bassy sound.
Old 1st August 2007, 13:40   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_maniac View Post
But i dont want the sound to be muted..Changing to stock muffler will give the normal sound rite??..i want a Low bass sound..Heard getting magnaflow mufflers will do the trick(ya i knw its damn expensive )but had heard one swift with the magnaflow yesterday..just the kind of sound im looking for...

automech guys can get it modified..i have a automech unit for my ohc with a soft , sporty note...
u cud contact a person by the name vivek bhat [FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]automecexhaust@rediffmail.com[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]the sound does change moderately with usage i guess...when it was new, the sound started kicking in only from around 2000rpm, but now i can hear the same from around 1500rpm itself..[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]also , i have noticed a "drop" in the pick up - not sure whether its actual or whether its the psytchological factor of getting used to the enhanced power ...[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]so next on the pipeline is a cyclone intake unit with possibly a small intake slit in the good with a scorpio scoop ( has anyone tried this ? )[/FONT]
Old 1st August 2007, 13:51   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho View Post
Only the end can and the mid mufflers affect the sound and not the headers as what people tend to believe look for a freeflow mid muffler to smoothen the sound down rather than doing any thing else. That would also deepen the bass of the exhaust note. PS you need to use an end can with a really large opening for really loud bassy sound.
but a properly tuned after market headers is fitted to get the performance right? or am i missing something?

one can get the sporty exhaust note just by changing the end can - if one is looking for the sound only.
Old 1st August 2007, 13:55   #12
BHPian

You can get locally made Resonator tip for your car which will cost you between 300-500 rs, This is available in differrent sizes and shapes and I believe has an impact on the souns, Guru's please correct me if I am wrong here.

I have headers in my car and the sound has increased after fitting the resonator tip,

Other option is to go for a ss muffler, Will cost you between 2000 - 2500 rs, Again it is made locally.
Old 1st August 2007, 13:57   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Other option is to go for a ss muffler, Will cost you between 2000 - 2500 rs, Again it is made locally.
Where where where ? Need one badly.
Old 1st August 2007, 14:03   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Rider View Post

I have headers in my car and the sound has increased after fitting the resonator tip,
The tip does make a very minute difference in the 'bassy' sound. Guess it depends on its design though.
Old 1st August 2007, 14:04   #15
BHPian

Arey ask shabir (raj's mechanic), He will get it done for you, Bored with headers already eh???

Most Viewed