Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2007, 10:56   #1
Senior - BHPian

Zen Steering Issue

All,

My 2005 Zen's steering feels as if its no longer a Power Steering. It takes the vehicle to a side, either right or left plus takin turns is a major task these days. I drove a 2001 Zen and the steering was much better than that of mine. And yes, the Wheel Alignment is done still the problem exists...

Please advise. The car car has run for 30K KMS and the Tyre rotation has been done.
Old 4th August 2007, 16:08   #2
Senior - BHPian

If the steering is not stable, then your tyres may have uneven wear. Please let us know the actual condition of the tyres, what tyres they are & how many Kms they have done.
Old 4th August 2007, 22:10   #3
BHPian

yes amtak as esteem_lover said all those are required to help you out

i had the same problem in my alto without EPS edition, and without good thread it was horrible had to massage hands when ever i came back from a drive!
after i bought new tires and plonked them on amazing it feels like i have EPS.

i predit bad tyres and i guess wheel balancing as well!
Old 5th August 2007, 01:06   #4
Senior - BHPian

The tires have run for about 30,000 KMS. They are MRF ZVTS and are still in good shape as per the Service guys.
Old 5th August 2007, 01:12   #5
BHPian

amtak please do post pictures of these tires, so we can give our opinions we don't ever ever trust a service guy
Old 5th August 2007, 01:39   #6
Senior - BHPian

I'll put the pics tomorrow....
Old 5th August 2007, 12:21   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
The tires have run for about 30,000 KMS. They are MRF ZVTS and are still in good shape as per the Service guys.
MRFs will normally last for 50k kms. But if you have not aligned & rotated your tyres properly, there could be uneven wear. If there is no uneven wear, balance the wheels & do the alignment & then try.
Old 6th August 2007, 11:34   #8
Senior - BHPian

Thanks John. I'll again check it
Old 6th August 2007, 19:40   #9
BHPian

check your lower arm, probably bent....
Old 16th September 2008, 09:08   #10
BHPian

I was driving the 2001 Zen LX of my dad this week and the steering appears to be too tight. My dad was always complaining about it and I used to think it is because power steering is not present in this model.

The wheel doesnt appear to be balanced correctly. I will check this today. What else could be done to make the steering smooth?

Adding a power steering will cost around 38K and this is not an option for me

Thanks

Nirmal
Old 16th September 2008, 09:34   #11
BHPian

Hi

In the rack and pinion steering there is a big Plactic screw. Just ask your mechanic to lossen it up a bit. This would work to some extent,

Amit
Old 16th September 2008, 09:39   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitpunjani View Post
Hi

In the rack and pinion steering there is a big Plactic screw. Just ask your mechanic to lossen it up a bit. This would work to some extent,

Amit
Yes it is there in Santro also 2000 model. I got it loosed along with lubrication to get smooth steering experience.
Old 16th September 2008, 10:19   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmalts View Post
What else could be done to make the steering smooth?
Get wheel alignment done. Incorrect alignment and toe-in settings make steering harder.
Old 16th September 2008, 13:22   #14
Senior - BHPian

Is the tyre pressure correct ? i have the same 2005 zen and run 30 thousand km too and yes with mrf zvts..!!Tyre pressure plays a very important part in the steering feel.
For example i tried the tyre pressure at 30 and the feeling was a very vague steering at high speeds.I could simple turn the steering a little left right at 120 and the car would hardly move an inch in any direction.
At the same time i did the same move at 28 and the car would point exactly where the steering was pointing.
This means the contact patch of the tyres at 28 and 30 is different and hence the different steering feel.
Maybe one of your tyres is losin air slowly and hence the hard steering.If the tyre pressure is perfect along with perfectly aligned tyres with no uneven wear on them, then i would suspect something wrong with the EPS.Maybe a rat has eaten some wires.
Old 24th September 2008, 09:08   #15
BHPian

Steering issue

I own a 1996 zen had have had this issue but off late has noticed that the steering is too tight. The service guys actually lubricated the something ball bearings (thats what he said) got a little relief..but no resolutions yet my tyres are new MRF zVTs

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
All,

My 2005 Zen's steering feels as if its no longer a Power Steering. It takes the vehicle to a side, either right or left plus takin turns is a major task these days. I drove a 2001 Zen and the steering was much better than that of mine. And yes, the Wheel Alignment is done still the problem exists...

Please advise. The car car has run for 30K KMS and the Tyre rotation has been done.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks