Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2020, 23:22   #1516
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
Best and most foolproof way is to get a Cat. ...

Coming back to topic of cats, Even if you dont have a desire to maintain one ( I am sure many dont ), you can get in touch with some cat owner and request their pet cat to spend some bonnet time.( This is extreme measure but i would have done it if menace was severe ).
Bonnet time with a cat means scratches.

Sometimes I wonder if they try to make car paint soft and vulnerable to ordinary every day things
Old 1st August 2020, 11:01   #1517
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Bonnet time with a cat means scratches.

Sometimes I wonder if they try to make car paint soft and vulnerable to ordinary every day things
I meant engine bay, a cat sits in my engine bay and has lot of hairs attached to my bonnet from inside.
silverado is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2020, 00:15   #1518
Distinguished - BHPian

The cat will sit where it wants to sit, which will probably be the roof.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2020, 09:37   #1519
BHPian

Quote:
I meant engine bay, a cat sits in my engine bay and has lot of hairs attached to my bonnet from inside.
It can be equally dangerous as the cat can also damage wires by biting them. What is the guarantee that it will sit quietly in the engine bay doing nothing only waiting for the rats.
Sandeep500 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2020, 15:44   #1520
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandeep500 View Post
It can be equally dangerous as the cat can also damage wires by biting them. What is the guarantee that it will sit quietly in the engine bay doing nothing only waiting for the rats.
I know a couple of friends who own pet cats, if i was in such a situation i would request them to bring their cats and make them sit in my engine bay for some time.

I have had a stray cat sitting inside my car bonnet since 4 years, not had any issues till date.Thankfully that cat is not bringing any food stuff inside bonnet just sits there since it might be feeling cosy ( Due to bonnet insulation layer )
silverado is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2020, 16:06   #1521
BANNED

Please try tobacco leaves...
it is a very potent rodent repellent..
had my E Class destroyed..
This was a suggestion from a driver and it seems to work...
nickolajj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2020, 09:59   #1522
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickolajj View Post
Please try tobacco leaves...
it is a very potent rodent repellent..
Depends on rodents, for smaller one's it might work.
But if you have monster rodents which we call "Ghus" in mumbai then you stand no chance.

I had padmini long back and once a Ghus entered it and stocked up on its foodstuff behind battery. This inspite of keeping tobaco leaves, tobacco pouches etc.

When i opened bonnet, it was merrily eating its stuff and had the guts to aggressively squeal at me. The only way i could get it out was by pouring hot water.
Old 3rd August 2020, 13:31   #1523
BHPian

Quote:
I have had a stray cat sitting inside my car bonnet since 4 years, not had any issues till date.Thankfully that cat is not bringing any food stuff inside bonnet
Once, there happened a cat fight, leaving my friend's car with pinhole ruptures on fenders, dents and scratches. Well the other party in crime is of course Maruti's built quality. Eventually, he had to do a proper tinkering/repainting.
Thermodynamics is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2020, 18:20   #1524
BHPian

Mod note: Excessive smilies edited out, please go through Announcement section to understand posting etiquette better. Thanks.

Hi All,

Hope everyone is doing good and safe during this pandemic time. Like fellow owners here, I'm also having ordeal with rats. I would like to share my experience with you all, so you can be cautious with your ride.

This is the first time in 9 years of car ownership i'm facing this issue -Have owned Chevy Beat Diesel (2011-2016) and Mahindra Bolero (2016 - present date).

I work in Chennai but I came to my hometown Kumbakonam (where our car usually stays) on March itself. Since the initial days of lockdown, once a week, I drive our car for 10 mins within our locality just to prevent it from being idle. Usually our car is interior is kept well clean. No food items/trash.

Interior pics of our car
Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-img_20200516_114010126.jpg
Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-img_20200516_114019255.jpg
Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-img_20200516_113944605.jpg

Parking area and the car
Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-img_20200805_121446326.jpg
Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-img_20200805_123206297.jpg

Rat infestation in our car
Despite driving it once a week, keeping exterior/interior clean, parking area also clean, it's during June I noticed something like lizard poop in car mat. Also the cloth used for wiping is bitten. Thought may be rat. So I placed rat cakes under driver seat, middle row and last row. And also placed some under the car(in the floor). Next day one of the cake inside car is gone, so I placed a new cake. The same happened for two days and on third day a bad odour came when I opened the car door. Thought the rat is dead and I looked for it under all seats. Nowhere to be found. Smell came from back side. So removed the left side jump seat's cover. No, Not found.

Mahindra service centre is just 10 mins from our home. So went there and told the issue. They pointed out that the rat is defeinitely inside Left rear tail light section and yes it's found dead there and its a big one. In that hollow section, I saw paper and cloth bits, some minor nibble on wire. Told the SA to check full car for any possible damage. After 3 days got the car back. As told by SA, the car was kept all doors open in sunlight to let the odour out, then car interior is sanitized, engine bay is cleaned and applied repellentd, dashboard removed and inspected, door joints and holes present are applied repellent and cleared some error codes that appeared. The bill amount is RS 4,818!!! It's nearly the amount which we do general service for Bolero. Got the car and drove back home. Just thanked it wasn't something more serious damage/expensive than this.

Repair Bill
Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-img_20200805_130707713.jpg
Engine bay coating
Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-img_20200805_123315238.jpg

No it's not over yet
So after this issue, i was idling the daily. People adviced me to put Uncut/solid tobacco. We are not able to get that specific one so got normal tobacco, punctured the packet and kept it inside car in 4-5 places(inside glove box also). I thought the pb is solved but no. Again I saw poop in mat. After searching some places, finally got the solid tobacco. Placed it also in same places and engine bay also

Normal tobacco and Solid tobacco
Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-img_20200805_123439795.jpg
Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-img_20200805_123448594.jpg
Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-img_20200805_123330668.jpg
Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-img_20200805_123337445.jpg
Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-img_20200805_123522295.jpg
Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-img_20200805_123609020.jpg

After all these, rat came again!

Went to accessory shop and they recommended rat repellent. Not sure about the product but just wanted to try. It's extremely noxious and NOT to be sprayed in cabin. Wore a face mask, towel over that mask, an old helmet over these two and I sprayed it evenly in engine bay and some neat front suspension. Despite the precautions, I can smell the fume. Finished the process quickly and went straight to wash thoroughly. Even goggled water as I felt it in throat. Parked the car and went to sleep.

ps: I'm not recommending any products mentioned. Just sharing my events

Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-img_20200805_125047274.jpg

Yes, you should have guessed Next day I still found poop in mat and near the tobacco I placed in engine bay. This rat guy is really starting to annoy me, I don't want another huge repair bill.

Friend recommented me to put rat trap glue pad. Can't find it in 4 to 5 stores either (got only rat cake and spray).Ordered the pad in Amazon. It'll take 10 days to arrive. So for next two days my work in morning is to remove poop.

Can't leave it like this till order arrives. Again went to some stores and finally found it in a store. Bought two of them. The pad opens like a notebook.

The one that I ordered
Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-20200805131453.png

The one that I got in store
Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-img_20200805_123853789.jpg
Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-img_20200805_123859555.jpg

Placed a coconut piece in the black spot on pad and placed it in passenger floor area. Left the dashboard open to ease it's movement.
Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-img_20200805_124057800.jpg

Next day Got the guy. It's caught sticking on one side, so I cut the other half of pad and kept it in the car again incase if any rat enters again. Threw the other half of pad along with rat far away. Can't be sure no rats will come again but atleast the pad works for now.

Even though I kept the car well cleaned, drove the car once a week, idle and move it daily, got engine coated in repellent, sprayed it again myself, placed tobaccos the rat still came. IMHO, I think there's no permanent solution to stop rats entering your car ever again.

Regarding the repair bill, its just a humble Bolero that's charged nearly 5K. Imagine if you have cars from from other brands which charges more. Better to prevent issues before any major damage occurs. Don't think any minor poop as lizard poop. Rat poop is almost like lizard's. Stay safe and safeguard your car also.
Attached Thumbnails
Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-img_20200805_123514927.jpg  

Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-img_20200805_123538935.jpg  

Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-img_20200805_123737163.jpg  

Last edited by Jaggu : 5th August 2020 at 18:31.
Shan_Kmu is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th August 2020, 18:33   #1525
Team-BHP Support

Best solution is rat cakes, keep them outside the vehicle egs on top of tyres or inside bonnets. Keep replenishing it till the cakes remain intact, so that the menace has been taken care off.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2020, 19:39   #1526
BHPian

I am relieved of my rat trouble. Rats have stopped coming to the place as I changed my car parking spot.
Old 18th August 2020, 20:25   #1527
BHPian

I don't know if this has been discussed already, what if we keep the bonnet open throughout the night?. The rat/mouse always sit on top of the engine cover. I keep finding poop and other rat items only on the cover.

I don't have any security concerns in doing so. Are there any consequences in keeping it open?
Old 30th September 2020, 11:52   #1528
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermodynamics View Post
Once, there happened a cat fight, leaving my friend's car with pinhole ruptures on fenders, dents and scratches....
Agree, my tenants Swift had lots of scratches over both the front wheel arches,some of it was like wolverine had scratched it. My own car, has a few scratches. Going to tie tobacco leaves now
Chillout is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2020, 12:47   #1529
BHPian

Another tip.

Rat infestations have increased in recent times perhaps due to long parked vehicles that the rats find home. 2 weeks ago, during routine checkup, I noticed wire nibbling under the hood. Took it to service center to ensure wiring is intact. I know that service manager for years and so I sought his advice on repellent technologies. I was keen on ultrasonic ones and mesh guard for the bay. He sheepishly admits there is no effective way to stop the cheeky thugs. Only tip he gave is to change parking spots regularly. If you don't have the privilege of multiple parkings, try to create variations the way you park i.e. forward, reverse, at an angle etc., so that the rat gets confused of address and moves over to a more immobile real estate.

Last edited by Thermodynamics : 30th September 2020 at 12:48.
Thermodynamics is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st November 2020, 14:36   #1530
BHPian

Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-img_20201101_125802.jpg

Unfortunately rat took out the wire connection to a spark plug. Only 2 out of the three cylinders are functional as of now. I will visit a service centre tomorrow. Hoping for a low bill amount.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks