Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2010, 21:06   #541
BHPian

same position here man. i am currently parking my car at a different place. have not seen the rat again. but i am not sure if this is going to solve the issue permanently. i would have to switch back to my old parking eventually. currently i have an agreement with an individual living on the same floor. I am using his parking :|

the rat mat above was a major failure. the rat either totally ignored it. or went over it with some difficulty. all i see is some disturbance on the glue. nothing more. i have seen the rat in the boot. it is a fairly large sized PoS. thus the failure.
Old 15th December 2010, 10:08   #542

re: Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice

santro is best car for rats to thrive in ! It has 2 holes in the front uder the hood.
hyundai guys told me they can't do anything about it. Also, under the back seat
there are big gaps in which rats/mices can house their whole khandan !!!
I had to take out all the seats & carpet to get rid of them. don't know about other cars.
Old 16th December 2010, 18:44   #543
BHPian

Hi People,

Not sure if this has already been suggested here. When I had my Santro I faced such rodent problem. My garagewala had an interesting solution. He applied some grease on few of the wires which were showing bite marks and there was tremendous improvement.

worth a try eh!!

Regards,
Old 15th March 2011, 12:10   #544
BHPian

Looks like there are no concrete answers or solutions for rat problem.

I am facing the rat problem in my Alto now. My alto was parked for almost a week, with a peeled off orange inside (I din notice that when I parked my car) along with a couple of ground nuts.

Looks like it has invited a female rat (I guess), and it was scouting inside my car, peeing on the floor mats and *ooping around. Also I found that she had chew some rubber in a mat (thank god no wires).

Immediately opened the engine bay and found rat footmarks on the dust over air filter. Called my mechanic and he suggested to change the parking space and stuff some tobacco and camphor together in the two large holes in the engine bay. I moved my car to office parking lot yday night, and bought tobacco and camphor. Unfortunately, the tobacco is not strong enough, and to add more pain it was "cut leaves tobacco". Anyway I managed to sprinkle the tobacco all over the engine bay and stuffed it, as much as I could in the two holes. Today morning I noticed a wire in the hole (just behind the headlight) was kind of shaved. So I did not stuff much tobacco there. Gotta get a insulation tape and patch the damaged wire.

Checked the car this morning for rat *oop.. and fortunately no fresh *oops. Hoping for the good. I have planned to park my car in the office till this weekend and see if this thing works.

Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-ratalto1.jpg
Tobacco sprayed inside the bonnet hinge space

Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-ratalto2.jpg
The hole behind the right-head lamp, with the damaged wire.

Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-ratalto3.jpg
The hole near front right suspension, fully stuffed with tobacco.

Will update on the progress next week.
Old 15th March 2011, 22:46   #545
Senior - BHPian

I hvae found camphor to be useless against rats.The tobacco powder once you drive the car will get blown away by the airflow inside the bonnet and other places.The only defence you can do is rat poison.

Kill the rat before it goes for the expensive ignition chord wires like it did once to my car.I used 2 kinds of poison.Roban poison cake to which Ratol poison cream was applied.The combination of the 2 is very lethal and i have managed to kill the creatures withing a couple of days.Please be careful while handling the poison if you decide to go for it and avoid tocuhing the Ratol cream.

It might seem a bit cruel but when you will be paying for replacing expensive wiring and stuff like that believe me ..
Old 16th March 2011, 10:53   #546
BHPian

Well have been spraying diesel lightly inside the engine bay using a water sprayer every 4 days for the past 15 days and that has kept the rats away till now.
Old 17th March 2011, 21:49   #547
BHPian

I was wondering if the smell of chlorine would drive them away? One fail safe known method would be to adopt a cat! go for the hungry ones!
Old 20th March 2011, 11:56   #548
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishir_bn View Post
Forget about these Dev, Just tie tobacco leaves in the engine bay and you will not see any rats near your car. Proved and tested.
I've done this and thankfully no rat damage so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi1771 View Post
Tobacco leaves do not work,while buying the tobacco leaves the dealer asked me why do you need them so told him the reason the answer he gave me was they don't work cause the the sacks in which they are stored are also chewed up by rats.
try it out if you are having rat problems, no harm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaeJay View Post
I was wondering if the smell of chlorine would drive them away? One fail safe known method would be to adopt a cat! go for the hungry ones!
ROFL reading through this thread.

I didn't want to start a new thread on cats but I have a peculiar prob. Cat/s uses my car as a step ladder to the loft in my garage. The fellow is small so she creeps through the closed garage door and thus thankfully no dents scratches etc. but after spending elbow grease on polishing the car every weekend, the cat paw marks are all over the car. she jumps on the boot (with dirty paws), then onto the roof of the car, climbs down the windshield (paw marks highly visible) and from the hood takes off to the loft. Tried parking as far back as possible, only thing is she takes a longer jump.
Any cat repellent?
Old 21st March 2011, 13:19   #549
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
Any cat repellent?
Ahh simple, get a dog! Err the ones without hats perhaps?

Last edited by YaeJay : 21st March 2011 at 13:24.
Old 10th April 2011, 22:09   #550
BHPian

I have read this thread before but never bothered about it as i did not find any rats near my car.
Today found 2 rats running away from my car hearing my footsteps.Kinda shocked,Not sure how much damage is being done so far.
Will try tobacco and mortein ratkill tomorrow.

Btw: I found this while googling:
Buy Ultrasonic Electronic Auto (Car) Rat / Rodent / Mouse Repellent & Repeller - Varna Suraksha
Old 10th April 2011, 22:17   #551
BHPian

Anyone tried zorrick? Rats cant stand the smell and taste and it protects the engine bay from rust and squeaks. WD40 is also effective. Me have cat problems and he is causing a lot of scratches and dirty paws on my shiny car. Anyway to repel cats without harming them?

Last edited by knob : 10th April 2011 at 22:19.
Old 5th May 2011, 16:25   #552

I have this rat problem only inside the engine compartment during rainy season. I put 3-4 pieces of Mortein Rat Kill cake inside the engine compartment every night. Next day morning those cakes disappear. After few days the cakes will remain intact. But I make sure to put those cakes every night even though they are intact. May be it is effective in killing those rodents, but they don't chew anything in the car. Doing this for the past 3 years.

Today I will try the hamam soap trick along with rat kill cake (just in case the rodents do not get their share of dinner, they will chew the insulations)
Old 7th May 2011, 18:36   #553
rpk

I too have the same problem , especially under the bonnet, over the air filter in my maruti swift. Rat justs pees and poops all over. I have tried Napthalene / Phenyl balls last week - There was no sign of the rat, though placing the balls was a tricky task. I kept a few on the tapet cover , some by the battery and some next to engine mount.

Tobacco seems to another hot favourite in this thread, of course if tied properly using cloth or a roadside netted pouch.

Wire Brush / Bottle Brush is what some guys have advised, but how does one mount in on a surface that has not fixation point, like the air intake filter ?

thanks in advance
rpk
Old 8th May 2011, 15:18   #554
BHPian

Leaves, spraying diesel, camphor, applying grease , no wonder nowadays cars are catching fire while running.
Old 8th May 2011, 23:50   #555
Team-BHP Support

So while everyone's busy talking about rats, I found a tiny lizard in the hatch today.

Luckily, it was just in the gap between the roof and the hatch door so could throw it out immediately.

Anyone with clues on how I could deter these creatures?

Most Viewed