Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2012, 16:16   #736
BHPian

re: Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice

My experience:

After a lot with napthalene balls, tobacco, dettol soaks, etc (and months of frustation) the following seem to be working.

- Rats get attracted to food smell. So strictly no food items left in car. Once parked, open all the doors (if any food items used in the trip) wait for a minute for the cross winds to sweep away the smell.
- Couple of napthalene balls under the carpet to kill any smell. (And yes, no fruit smelling car perfume).
- Spray diesel (with a water sprayer) on all the wheel arches, suspension areas (where a rat can climb on), all flat surfaces in engine bay where little fellas can sit comfortably and on the underside of bonnet. Smell lasts for ~1 week; religiously spray once in 4/5 days.
- Never leave the car in same place for more than couple of days (at least park in slot nearby!.

Solution seems to be working for me and my neighbor quite well for last 4-5 months. This has endured for the Bangalore summer and recent rains. Need to watch for couple of more months (and samples) for confirmation..

PS: Some snakes seem to migrated near our place, they could be contributing as well, though I see quite bit of rat movements still.

On a lighter vein: I am contributing to diesel usage for a purpose non intended for Govt. Subsidy!
Old 7th September 2012, 19:58   #737
BHPian

Finally got my car Free of rats!!!

Yes guys you people heard it right !!! Our cars are always parked in the open and there was a constant problem of rats chewing the wires . Running back and forth to the workshop was becoming a headache and also trying out local remedies like tying tobacco pouches, getting diesel wash done every now and then was not solving the problem. Despite of doing all these the rats still were happy chewing on wires. Once fine morning two week I was generally discussing this issue with my car detailer Parag bhai from Autoshine (kandivali -Mumbai) and he told me to try out some spray which would deter rats from even coming close to the car engine bay. Without wasting any time I took my car to his place the very next day and got my engine bay sprayed with the recommended liquid. Since then I havent had the problem and even when I open the hood to check for any chocolate/biscuit packets or some fruit remains I dont find any. Previously the rats used to leave behind some or the other left over stuff inside the hood.

So I recommend you guys to get it done. I will post a review again in a few weeks to update if the rats have finally said a goodbye to my cars or not
Old 7th September 2012, 21:21   #738
BHPian

Have ordered tufkote rat repellent yesterday(6 pcs cost- Rs.550).
Mr. Ryan confirmed the product has been dispatched.
will keep you guys posted about the product.
Old 8th September 2012, 12:43   #739
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
So I went ahead and installed this product listed on our classifieds by Ryan @ Tufkote.
Quote:
I wanted to test it over a 3 month period before updating, but since you asked, here goes.
*Update* Nope, Tufkote hasn't helped either. The poor Civic had its windscreen washer pipe and indicator light wiring chewed off by rats last month. Damn, I was really confident of this product, but it has failed miserably. Surprisingly, rats don't seem to like the Sunny or Jeep's goods which are left untouched. Period.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2012, 13:19   #740
BHPian

Quote:
*Update* Nope, Tufkote hasn't helped either. The poor Civic had its windscreen washer pipe and indicator light wiring chewed off by rats last month. Damn, I was really confident of this product, but it has failed miserably. Surprisingly, rats don't seem to like the Sunny or Jeep's goods which are left untouched. Period.
Hey Rush, try out the spray I mentioned in my above post. I found it effective. Might help you too
hvishwanathan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2012, 14:39   #741
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Finally got my car Free of rats!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvishwanathan View Post
Parag bhai from Autoshine (kandivali -Mumbai) and he told me to try out some spray which would deter rats from even coming close to the car engine bay.
Can you please create an entry in the Team-BHP Directory following this format?

Thanks!
Old 8th September 2012, 14:56   #742
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO

Can you please create an entry in the Team-BHP Directory following this format?

Thanks!
Ok will do so . Thanks
Old 12th September 2012, 15:34   #743
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
In addition to the wires, rats attacked the Tufkote bottle itself!

Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-20120909-12.46.27-custom.jpg

Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-20120909-12.46.39-custom.jpg
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2012, 20:49   #744
BHPian

Had parked my car for a week at a same place as I had been traveling.
I come back, switch on the car, The AC dosen't work. I get a hint that it might be the famous rodents.
On the way to the service center, I have barely driven 500mts, the overheating light starts flashing. I get onto a side and check the bonnet. Its burning hot. Park there for 5 mins and then return home as the service center is a bit too far and I don't intend to risk the car.
After reaching home, I see the coolant tank completely empty. Don't know what might have caused it as the pipes there seem intact.
Any help guys.
I drive a WagonR K10.
Old 12th September 2012, 22:43   #745
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by carzone View Post
Had parked my car for a week at a same place as I had been traveling.
I come back, switch on the car, The AC dosen't work. I get a hint that it might be the famous rodents.
On the way to the service center, I have barely driven 500mts, the overheating light starts flashing. I get onto a side and check the bonnet. Its burning hot. Park there for 5 mins and then return home as the service center is a bit too far and I don't intend to risk the car.
After reaching home, I see the coolant tank completely empty. Don't know what might have caused it as the pipes there seem intact.
Any help guys.
I drive a WagonR K10.
Fill up with water+colant mixture again and take it to the service-center/garage. As per my understanding, the coolant pipes are made up of metal. So don't think the coolant leakage has a connection with rats.
Old 13th September 2012, 14:56   #746
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Fill up with water+colant mixture again and take it to the service-center/garage. As per my understanding, the coolant pipes are made up of metal. So don't think the coolant leakage has a connection with rats.
Coolant pipes are generally rubber or silicon; But i doubt the rats would do that..

They have a affinity to wires; maybe more chewy and with a tinge !!!
DeepakMenon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2012, 15:02   #747
BHPian

I faced similar issues with my Zen. The rats even entered the passenger cabin. I checked with the *** and SA told me that this happens. I was like..I can understand if these rodents enter the engine compartment, but how passenger cabin? He suggested me to put a net at the place where the blower gets the fresh air from. The cost of the net was somewhere around Rs50-75 and the labour cost was whopping Rs 1800 (something like that don't remember the exact charge, as this was in 2009).
Finally changing the parking position and the direction of the car helped me.
I have observed that these creatures are looking for hideouts or safe places during the period August to October, may be its their breeding time.
Old 13th September 2012, 15:20   #748
BHPian

Agree with GTO regarding Tuffkote,even in my car they have chewed up the bottle.So back to spraying of diesel which has worked well till date.
Old 13th September 2012, 18:34   #749
BHPian

ok . That is disappointing. Just received this product and have fitted in the car. Any idea whats the life expectancy of the tufcote product. i.e. how long will it last?? And could you guys share info on how long the product was in the car when the attack re-started?
Old 13th September 2012, 18:46   #750
BHPian

How the heck did this happen

Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-img2012091300201.jpg

Looks like i need to open the wheel and disc brake calliper

Most Viewed