Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2013, 12:07   #841
BHPian

re: Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice

Look what the Rats did in my 4 month old Audi A4. Repairs cost me Rs 8000/-

2 things that struck me, due to this incident.
1) In all my old cars, I never used any kind of car perfume, however, I placed 'Godrej Aer' in my Audi from day 1 and it would let out a beautiful rose smell throughout.
I am doubting that the sweet smell could be attracting the Rats, because both the cars next to mine, have never been chewed up. Nor have my old cars kept in the same place, without any car perfume, been chewed up.

What about other victims of Rodent damage? Do you use any car perfume?
I have removed the perfume bottle from my car and going to observe.

2) The Audi A4 underbody has a huge opening on the passenger side ( right side when you open the bonnet) which can be easily seen and easily accessible to any rodents. I checked with Audi South if that could be covered with a mesh and there was no such possibility.

I am now going to place Pandharpuri Tobacco wrapped in a mesh pouch and place it on the engine tray. Will also not keep any car perfume to check if that is an attraction for the rodents.
Attached Thumbnails
Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-dsc02253.jpg  

Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-dsc02254.jpg  

Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-dsc02255.jpg  

Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-dsc02256.jpg  

Old 4th April 2013, 23:25   #842
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mroptimist View Post
Can you please post some pictures of those brushes and some other details like where did you buy them from etc., so that all bhpians are benefited. Thanks.
Hi
Here is a link to the photos of the brush.
Since I have kept them havnt seen any sign of a rat like food or dropping.
Hope this helps.
Regards

https://mail.google.com/mail/?shva=1...dd621e33e44eba
Old 5th April 2013, 15:34   #843
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post
Look what the Rats did in my 4 month old Audi A4. Repairs cost me Rs 8000/-

2 things that struck me, due to this incident.
1) In all my old cars, I never used any kind of car perfume, however, I placed 'Godrej Aer' in my Audi from day 1 and it would let out a beautiful rose smell throughout.
I am doubting that the sweet smell could be attracting the Rats, because both the cars next to mine, have never been chewed up. Nor have my old cars kept in the same place, without any car perfume, been chewed up.

What about other victims of Rodent damage? Do you use any car perfume?
I have removed the perfume bottle from my car and going to observe.

2) The Audi A4 underbody has a huge opening on the passenger side ( right side when you open the bonnet) which can be easily seen and easily accessible to any rodents. I checked with Audi South if that could be covered with a mesh and there was no such possibility.

I am now going to place Pandharpuri Tobacco wrapped in a mesh pouch and place it on the engine tray. Will also not keep any car perfume to check if that is an attraction for the rodents.

Mercedes offers a option called "ENGINE COMPARTMENT Panelling WITH PROTECTION AGAINST MARTEN"

Basically it is a electric fence in the engine compartment that gives a shock to rodents; Check with Audi they should have something similar to this is if they are competing with MB

Or buy a after market stuff like this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/ISOTRONIC-Me.../dp/B000229CAA

http://www.mardersicher.de/english/e_produkt1.htm

These will work as a charm

Last edited by DeepakMenon : 5th April 2013 at 15:35.
DeepakMenon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2013, 16:16   #844
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narsi_6989 View Post
...you can easily get the dried tobacco leaves from the same petty shop where you get the beedis.
Thanks!

The dried tobacco leaves work like a charm; abs no rats since I started using that in bonnet. I shall try and share a few pics this weekend.

About 6 leaves used; tucked in all those flat / near-flat places where these rats settle down.

And you can get it easily from the shop around the corner in the by lanes.
Old 10th April 2013, 19:24   #845
Distinguished - BHPian

I suffered badly due to rats chewing up the wires in my car once. I have put rat kill cakes but were of no use. A local garage guy suggested me to put some camphor in the engine bay. I did that and it really worked! But remember one thing if you put camphor always remove them from the engine bay before you start your car.
Old 26th April 2013, 15:31   #846
BHPian

had been noticing Rat Droppings in my bonnet since the past 10 days. thankfully the rats used to get their food from outside probably takeaways and have it in the warm confines of the engine Bay. I was terribly distraught on seeing the droppings and before they could start chewing on the wires and the eco-friendly components inside, i decided that i had to take action and eliminate the pests!

Bought 4 packets of Hit Rat Killer cakes and kept the cakes for 6 days. the cakes used to Vanish every day, but the rat droppings continued. Probably the Hit wasnt effective enough or the rats were feasting on it without it affecting their system.

had to search for another rodenticide when i came across a product called 'Ratol'. Bought a Tube of it and applied it on a few pieces of bread and lo this noon i find a dead Rat! Hopefully will find a few more within 24 hours from now. i should say ratol with its fruit based Jelly and 3% Phosphorus did the job!!

Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-ratol.jpg

Name:  ratol2.gif
Views: 15039
Size:  20.9 KB
Pictures of the rat not clicked coz of their gory nature!
Old 26th April 2013, 18:26   #847
BHPian

Guys,

I just wanted to share some feedback on the rat protection treatment that I had mentioned a few pages earlier. I got this treatment done 3 times in last 1 year and see a great value in this. This has completely stopped the rat nuisance.

The product seems to be very effective and the reviews I got from other customers who have used this product are great. I totally recommend this to Bhpians and non Bhpians.

The owner of Autoshine shared a video where he has done the same protection for Rolls Royce in Mumbai. Here is the link :

Guys who have used this, I would like to have your feedback on the same.
I have also attached the snaps where the contact number of the person is mentioned. Guys who read Autocar Magazine must have seen his ad in the last 2-3 issues.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-autoguard-advt.jpg  

Attached Images

hvishwanathan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2013, 13:22   #848
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinnerr View Post
The dried tobacco leaves work like a charm;

And you can get it easily from the shop around the corner in the by lanes.
Sorry for being ignorant, but is it that dried tobacco leaves that you have mentioned is same as 'khaini' that one gets in a pan shop? If yes, then does it smells in the cabin area? (as it has a strong odour)

Regards,
Saket
Old 28th April 2013, 22:21   #849
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
...is it that dried tobacco leaves that you have mentioned is same as 'khaini' that one gets in a pan shop? If yes, then does it smells in the cabin area? (as it has a strong odour)
I am not sure if it is called 'khaini'. Here in Karnataka, I had asked the shop keeper for 'hoge-elay' and handed be a bunch for Rs 10.

Honestly, I didn't think it had such a strong smell. At least the bunch that I have doesn't. And as for the cabin, no smell at all.

It looks like this.
Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-5792.jpg

Edit: I just googled 'khaini'; from the pics it looks like some processed form; more like cut leaves. the ones that I have are full leave; which are dried and shriveled.

Last edited by Spinnerr : 28th April 2013 at 22:27.
Spinnerr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2013, 12:54   #850
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunilrj View Post
Probably the Hit wasnt effective enough or the rats were feasting on it without it affecting their system.
Rat cakes are no longer effective. Rats eat them most gladly and continue to thrive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunilrj View Post
i should say ratol with its fruit based Jelly and 3% Phosphorus did the job!!
Super..!!
Where did you purchase it from? Haven't seen it in Bangalore yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvishwanathan View Post
Guys,

I just wanted to share some feedback on the rat protection treatment that I had mentioned a few pages earlier. I got this treatment done 3 times in last 1 year and see a great value in this. This has completely stopped the rat nuisance.
So, did you use the spray that is advertised or call them to get the treatment done? How much does the spray cost? Do they have sales outlets at different cities as well?
Quote:
Sorry for being ignorant, but is it that dried tobacco leaves that you have mentioned is same as 'khaini' that one gets in a pan shop?
Yes, it is the same khaini. It doesn't smell in the cabin unless you put it in the cabin.
Quote:
Edit: I just googled 'khaini'; from the pics it looks like some processed form; more like cut leaves. the ones that I have are full leave; which are dried and shriveled.
Correct, hoge yelay is raw tobacco which doesn't smell as pungent as the khaini. It is khaini which is known to be more effective, for rats.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2013, 13:20   #851
BHPian

Khaini, Zarda ( Baba 120 or Baba 160) are all processed. You need raw tobacco in the form of leaves or a Paan Shop would have it in a packaged form. In Maharashtra it is available under the brand names of Gai Chaap, Haathi Chaap, etc. They look like dried tobacco flakes.
Either the tobacco or no more using of Car perfume, seemed to have stopped rats from visiting my car atleast.
riteshritesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2013, 13:24   #852
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post

Yes, it is the same khaini. It doesn't smell in the cabin unless you put it in the cabin.

Correct, hoge yelay is raw tobacco which doesn't smell as pungent as the khaini. It is khaini which is known to be more effective, for rats.
Thanks a lot...this clears the confusion. If its really working then should be a cheap fix for the menace.

BTW, I have used HIT spray. It was not effective. Also, it left orangish red residue on the engine blocks, probably as it heated. I tried camphor, again didn't work. I think the rats liked it. They chewed the wire (near the wiper motor) which was exactly where I had tied it in a small piece of cloth.

Once my car was left idle for about 2 months. The rats utilised this time to chew much. I spent about Rs. 1700/- for getting fixed the indicators, wiper, tail light, reverse light wires. Thankfully, no critical to engine wires have been cut so far.

I have tried rat cakes: least effective. I think its like buying the rats a 'cake for their party'. I felt that I have been robbed by the companies which claim effectiveness of rat cakes - I bought 2 for Rs. 20/-

I have also tried rat mesh. Highly effective, but once I was away from my place and apparently a rat was trapped inside for 4-5 days and met its fate inside the mesh. Filled up the entire area with awful smell.

Now, I have moved to my new apartment, where until now (touchwood), I haven't faced rat menace but many thanks for the 'khaini' tip! Will come handy if rats find their new party venue!

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
It is khaini which is known to be more effective, for rats.
Slightly OT, but see, even rats know that its not good for their health. My appeal to those who take tobacco, it's more injurious than what you think it to be.

Thanks,
Saket

Last edited by saket77 : 29th April 2013 at 13:28.
Old 29th April 2013, 13:37   #853
BANNED

Quote:
Thanks a lot...this clears the confusion. If its really working then should be a cheap fix for the menace.
To add to it, remember that rats urinate and defecate wherever they go and spend time.

This odor attracts more rats to the same place.

To avoid this, in case you face rat attacks again, please ensure that you C-L-E-A-N the engine bay very very well using warm water, detergent and other cleaning agents if required to remove the urine and stool marks. Pay special attention to wires, nooks and crannies and places where free flowing liquid can accumulate.

This step in itself will stop attracting other rats.

You can then use khaini, phenyle, or those sprays etc recommended by the others.
n.devdath is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th April 2013, 14:50   #854
MAS
Senior - BHPian

I had the same trouble for a few months, with these rodents invading both my drives and making a mess of the engine bay.

I tried the Rat-kill cakes and they were only effective for a week after which the rats seemed to have included the rat-kill-cake in their daily menu. I found that the cake was always half eaten on the battery (of both the Fiesta and the Endeavour) and rat-poop on the other half of the battery. I always kept the engine bay clean, but i guess the rats also liked a clean "home".

I read through the whole thread and decided to try out Naphthalene Balls. I should say they have been proving to be effective for the past 3 months (touch wood).

All i did was i cut a thin cotton cloth into 10 inch x 10 inch square pieces. Placed 7-8 Naphthalene balls on the cloth and tied the opposite ends to make it like a sack. I made 6 of such sacks (3 for each car) and placed them "strategically" inside the engine bay. I kept the first one on the battery, second at the place where the rat would climb inside the engine bay and the third where i thought the rat makes it first stop before climbing into the bay. This way the whole engine bay (and the garage) smells strongly of Naphthalene balls and have this has managed to keep the rats away from the car.

The sacks are placed in the engine bay whenever the car is kept at home and removed just before the car is taken out. I replenish the sacks every 4 weeks with additional Naphthalene balls to maintain the effect.

I also park the cars in different positions every other week (facing the other way). This along with the strong Naphthalene smell has worked for me. You could try this out.
Old 3rd May 2013, 05:25   #855
BHPian

You Indians are much more inventive and resourceful than modern-day British at preventing rat attacks.

Personally, I use terriers or if the porblem continues I sometimes mix peanut-butter with Polyfilla (a fast-setting gypsum plaster mixed with glue) to create a dead, but full rat.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks