Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2014, 17:40   #976
Team-BHP Support

re: Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLizardKing View Post
Found this in the FAQ section on their website:

Will rodent get used to this repellent after a period of time?
Answer: Definitely No! The unit uses a complex "swept" sound frequency with multiple "peaks". The intensity, complexity and changing frequencies prevent rodents from getting used to the sound emitted.

After my recent trouble with rodents, am thinking about getting one. My car is my daily drive, so I don't have to worry about the battery getting drained. And at just 3000 bucks, it is a bargain considering how much repairs can cost...
One, the Varna device is a variable-frequency type so they claim the rodents can't get used to it.

Two, the battery drain isn't bad if the car is used even once every 2-3 days. I use the in-car device (would've preferred a plug-in type but don't have access to an outlet near my parking spot), and drive once mid-week and regularly on weekends. My car's battery needed a top-up charge (a few hours at the battery dealer's charging station) last week after 6 months of using the device. If yours is a daily drive, you probably won't need the external top-up at all.

I found the device effective (no rat trouble for nearly 7 months now) and doesn't hurt the battery if you take care not to leave it plugged in for a week or more at a stretch (consider a plug-in device for long-term parking needs). First-hand experience and I'm satisfied enough with my purchase to recommend it to others. More than repair costs, it's hidden damage (esp. in the engine bay) that can turn catastrophic that concerns me.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 31st July 2014 at 17:42.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2014, 18:02   #977
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Its a war. A deadly war.
Its us vs them.

...because what you are carrying is not ordinary broom. Its the torch of human civilization. Its the symbol of all that is good in this world.

Its with this broom you will extinguish the enemy, once and for all.
All is not lost my friend. May the force be with you.

Wish I was allowed to give you more than 1 like. This post deserves more, much more.

Jokes apart, I've found that the traditional rat-traps seem to work pretty good. Hang some food inside it, and wait for the trap to trip. Agreed it's a bit cruel, what with the tail getting caught when the lid comes down. But hey, at least my cars wiring stays intact.

Last edited by sourav9385 : 31st July 2014 at 18:04.
Old 31st July 2014, 18:21   #978
Distinguished - BHPian

Tanveer has quite a few posts to his credit in this specialization. Killing/ murdering the rat is what he has always favored...particularly by way of a stick (or a broom). I remember one of them at the moment:

Quote:
You have to murder the rat. There is no such thing as a rat repellant. If rat is alive rat is problem. If rat is dead, rat is no problem.
There are various ways of killing rat.
Taking a stick and beating it multiple times will kill it. but you have to catch it first. If you are a fast runner, you can try this method.

However, difficult to catch & kill a rat in the car, with my limited expertise in this subject, esp. compared to Tanveer
I have caught a few rats by using traditional mouse traps in car. Once caught, give the rat a nice, slightly longish drive in your car and let it go in a remote area. If let go in proximity, chances of returning at the same old venue are very high.

Last edited by saket77 : 31st July 2014 at 18:23.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2014, 18:48   #979
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
T

However, difficult to catch & kill a rat in the car, with my limited expertise in this subject, esp. compared to Tanveer.
Its not.
Seriously.
Its really not. You are much taller than the rat, and its been scientifically proven, that we humans have endurance that even horses do not.
Those animals may have initial speed. but then they tire.
We don't
Sometimes it takes about 5-6 hours of chasing. But eventually, you will find it, crouching.
Fear in its eyes, as it quivers.
Its that moment, when you strike. Strike hard and strike true. One hit is all it takes, and the monster is vanquished.

All these modern comforts have weakened us, and hence they dare to lord over us. After murdering over 10 rats, 5 of them with a stick, and 5 of them with my ancient hunter trapper genes(which we all have).
tsk1979 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2014, 18:57   #980
BHPian

If rats could read, showing this thread would have been enough to scare the hell out of them. Would be like reading - 100 easy ways to "murder" a rat! And a whole discussion going on at that! That species would give up the urge to chew anymore automobile stuff. Lol
Old 31st July 2014, 20:40   #981
Distinguished - BHPian

Our crows seem to have given up eating the already-dead, and developed a taste for fresh meat. They are turning into murderous thugs. I think they are really reducing the rat population.

No gadgets, no smells, just crows!
Old 31st July 2014, 21:49   #982
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaypjayaraj View Post

If rats could read, showing this thread would have been enough to scare the hell out of them. Would be like reading - 100 easy ways to "murder" a rat! And a whole discussion going on at that! That species would give up the urge to chew anymore automobile stuff. Lol
I think they can read. To scare them more. Here is a picture
Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-20130611_034039.jpg
This was in the house last year. Took 4-5 hours, but in the end, the rat was tired, but I was not.

They are very family oriented. So next day I killed its mother father and sister too.

If you find one rat in your car, and kill it do not rest easy till its entire family is killed. whenever I have killed a rat in the car, next day I have killed atleast one.
tsk1979 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2014, 10:32   #983
BHPian

Partially agree with you; Devices made of Ultrasonic Sensors are not very costly and has very good range.
Right from Offices to Datacenters to Industries everywhere designers are struggling to find a solution. They are ready to spend any amount to get rid of Rat Problem.
Devices working on variable frequencies are effective but Rats adapt to such conditions very fast and such device becomes ineffective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vahanam View Post
Scalability and Placement could be the issues in such large plants. That's why they opt for rat poison. In case of a car, the area is small enough to position the devices.
Old 1st August 2014, 12:41   #984
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay4060 View Post
Devices working on variable frequencies are effective but Rats adapt to such conditions very fast and such device becomes ineffective.

1) If rats adapt to variable frequencies then how do you justify calling it "effective"? If you think rats adapt to it, the device is to be called "ineffective". Because nobody is paying and installing a rat repellent here on a temporary basis. We are not discussing that.

2) Do you have anything to support your knowledge of rats adapting to variable frequencies? Kindly read through the forum. BHPians have explained this several times before, quoting extracts with material to support. If you find anything to support your statement that rats adapt to complex frequencies kindly share it. Otherwise your statement is void unless you are a certified rat expert or done studies/research in that field. Please validate what you are trying to suggest.
Old 1st August 2014, 15:06   #985
BHPian

Sorry I am not a rat expert; but it’s also true that you will not find such products easily in the market and across the world Rodents are a big menace. Another reason for not using such devices is animals and Birds; as they also get disturbed with such frequencies; and it’s mentioned in this thread.
I was just sharing my Experience which over the years many of my customers from various sectors has shared with me. Variable Frequency is a success theoretically and many studies are there to support such claims.
In one of the thread it was written that rats follow defined path based on their own smell. Probably with such Electronic devices they are forced to change their path and they don’t go to the same place again for a defined period unless they are accustomed with such frequency.
I have used one of such device and after 8-9 months have to invest heavily in replacing my complete wiring Harness.
Now I used to keep Rat Kill daily inside the Bonnet to feed them; if I miss; they show their anger by cutting some wire. It means Mortien Rat is also not working; they have adapted!!

Quote:
1) If rats adapt to variable frequencies then how do you justify calling it "effective"? If you think rats adapt to it, the device is to be called "ineffective". Because nobody is paying and installing a rat repellent here on a temporary basis. We are not discussing that.

2) Do you have anything to support your knowledge of rats adapting to variable frequencies? Kindly read through the forum. BHPians have explained this several times before, quoting extracts with material to support. If you find anything to support your statement that rats adapt to complex frequencies kindly share it. Otherwise your statement is void unless you are a certified rat expert or done studies/research in that field. Please validate what you are trying to suggest.
Old 1st August 2014, 15:55   #986
BHPian

Quote:
I have used one of such device and after 8-9 months have to invest heavily in replacing my complete wiring Harness.
There you go. THAT'S the kind of information which will help our fellow BHPians. Do share what product was used which proved ineffective so that we don't make the same mistake of purchasing it. Sharing such information would be valuable. Let's learn from you.

I have been using Varna rodent repellent in my garage which serves good for 2 cars. It has variable frequency and has proven good for the past 2 years without any hick ups. I've had rat trouble in both my cars a few times before I installed this unit in the garage.
Purchased 2 units in 2012. Kept one for myself and gave one to my friend. Thankfully the rats in our neighborhood doesn't seem to be adapting so much to overcome the repellent till date. I do have pets and I do care about them. I had checked before purchase what frequencies are applicable to what species and though there are some debatable stuff online about this, rodents seem to have a range of frequency which is not applicable to birds, dogs, cats or humans. So to confirm, I did switch on the repellent in the vicinity of my pets just to be sure. They din't respond as if they noticed anything.

Which was that product which the rats got adapted to in 8-9 months? Kindly share it for the benefit of this community.
ajaypjayaraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2014, 16:58   #987
BHPian

Sorry dear; but that’s the Answer I was trying to avoid. It was the same product which is working for you but didn’t work with rats in my area. My Bad Luck. Surprisingly they always come and have Mortien dinner in my 2005 Wagon R but have never touched my Ertiga.

Quote:
There you go. THAT'S the kind of information which will help our fellow BHPians. Do share what product was used which proved ineffective so that we don't make the same mistake of purchasing it. Sharing such information would be valuable. Let's learn from you.

I have been using Varna rodent repellent in my garage which serves good for 2 cars. It has variable frequency and has proven good for the past 2 years without any hick ups. I've had rat trouble in both my cars a few times before I installed this unit in the garage.
Purchased 2 units in 2012. Kept one for myself and gave one to my friend. Thankfully the rats in our neighborhood doesn't seem to be adapting so much to overcome the repellent till date. I do have pets and I do care about them. I had checked before purchase what frequencies are applicable to what species and though there are some debatable stuff online about this, rodents seem to have a range of frequency which is not applicable to birds, dogs, cats or humans. So to confirm, I did switch on the repellent in the vicinity of my pets just to be sure. They din't respond as if they noticed anything.

Which was that product which the rats got adapted to in 8-9 months? Kindly share it for the benefit of this community.
ajay4060 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2014, 17:37   #988
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry dear; but that’s the Answer I was trying to avoid. It was the same product which is working for you but didn’t work with rats in my area. My Bad Luck. Surprisingly they always come and have Mortien dinner in my 2005 Wagon R but have never touched my Ertiga.

Sorry to hear that the same din't work for you. Not sure what could have gone wrong.
- One thing could be placing the device. If the waves are all over the place but leaving a clean route for the mice into the hood of the car, device could be of no use. I place the device in such a way that the front area of the cars are covered in it's range.
- Another issue I face here is power failures. But inverter takes care of that too.
In my knowledge there is my friend too for whom this device has proved effective since 2012.
Well, all I can say is Good luck to you!
Old 1st August 2014, 17:47   #989
BHPian

I'm gonna fix that rat, that's what I'm gonna do.

Ray32825 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2014, 18:19   #990
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish View Post
Hi Guys,

I was not expecting rats in my 1.5 years old Safari. It is parked in a closed garage but there is a little space below the shutter and now I suspect it as the only entry point for rats.

I keep checking my engine bay once in a month. The frequency of using my Safari is also very low i.e. once in 10-15 days. When I saw (last month) a rat running down the engine bay, I immediately put naphthalene balls (packed in socks) at three different places inside the engine bay and also sprinkled black pepper at all places. They have already started chewing the wires at few places.

But guys, it seems like these two things are also not worth. Today when I started my Safari, I saw a rat running out of the engine bay.

Are the repellents (Autoguard, Varna Surakha etc.) successful as discussed in this thread? Please advise the repellent with best results. I need to take an immediate action against these creatures otherwise I might get stranded anytime on a highway or at the garage itself.

Cheers!
Irish
You may want to check this company out. A classmate of mine from Bombay had asked me to look into the possibility of exporting their products some time ago. A Mr. Shankar Ramchandran was Vice President of Sales and Operations at the time.

http://www.maserindia.com/Auto_Model.html#top

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks