re: Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge_Viper View Post
Any link for that Tufkote thing?
visit www.ratrepellent.in for more information
Old 14th February 2015, 20:51   #1022
BHPian

I don't know whether this is correct thread to post it since it does not involve rat but it concerns insect. This is second time in my Hyundai Verna Fluidic. Any remedies?

Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-20150214_154109.jpg

Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-20150214_154242.jpg
Old 11th March 2015, 07:47   #1023
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by globemaster View Post
So here I am, car-less and poorer by 6000 due to a RAT!!!!.

Will post more once i hear from dealer. DARN!!!
If you still haven't come across a solution try spraying phenyl where you park your car or in the places where you suspect the rats sit under the hood.
Old 11th March 2015, 11:50   #1024
BHPian

Hello BHPians

On my personal experience on rat entry. Instead of spraying any kind of rat repellant in the engine hood or any other place in your car. Just have some tobacco leaves near your tyres on both front & rear or tie it to the suspension. Because rats enter your car only through your tyres most of the time. The rats don't come near your car if there are tobacco leaves nearby. It works
Old 12th March 2015, 08:52   #1025
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferruccio View Post
I went to try the Tobacco Leaf solution after rats chewed every soft part in my Santro. I found a shop that sold the meanest looking tobacco leaf and asked the shopkeeper to pack me some. The shopkeeper said 'You don't look like a chap who uses tobacco. So why buy it?'

He laughed when I told him why. 'Won't work' he said 'My shop is over-run with mice and rats of all sizes.'

The solution is to avoid parking near underground drains and shops which store grains. With that care never had the problem again
You may search this thread for more solutions Hence quoted you at an appropriate thread.

Thankfully, rats have not bothered me. I see two reasons for it. One, my garage is open from front, sun light comes in. Have heard, packed garage is infested by rats. Do not leave food inside the car or eat/place grains near the car.

And having a pet (dog/cat) helps.
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th March 2015, 18:04   #1026
BHPian

I've had my share of issues with rodents, I lived in a house in Koramangala Area in Bangalore, this was an independent house, and had a few areas that had no cement or hard surface, there were rats all over the place.

Initially never had an issue, but one fine day I switch on the AC and there is this foul smell coming out of it, I thought maybe the AC needs cleaning, so I got some room spray and sprayed in my car and into the ac vents. it was OK for the day, and then the next day I had the same smell. I had no clue what was going on, so I opened the bonnet, and what is see is weird, I see the insulation under the bonnet was torn, and found a ton of the missing material off the insulation inside the area where water flows in during rains (sorry, not sure what that is called).

I tried to pull off as much as I could using a wire, and washed that area with phenoil etc.

The above did not help and 2 days later that strong stench was back again, so took the car to the service center.

The ASC opened up the area which i had cleaned earlier and to my surprise there were about 15 pups in there, that drove me nuts.

I asked them to open the dashboard, and ensure each one was out of my car, they did so, and installed 2 thick layers of mesh from the inside and the outside (Near the AC suction vent outside) and that fixed the issue.

I also have moved to a different place now in Bangalore, where so far not had any issues with rats. Thank God.

I got the entire AC ducts and the air path cleaned and sprayed with some room freshner, and that has fixed the issue so far, it's been over 6 months now and I've not had a problem.

I did have a ton of images of this, that I clicked while the cleaning was going on at the ASC, but for some reason I can't find any of those images on my phone or laptop.
Old 15th March 2015, 12:32   #1027

Let me tell you a simple solution that i have been doing since last 7 years. Buy a steel mesh used for cleaning utensils, put 2-3 napthaline balls in it, use a cable tie and tie the steel mesh around the area you suspect rats will come. It will roughly cost you rs.100.

Make sure to replace the napthas every 2-3 months.
Old 18th March 2015, 10:26   #1028
BHPian

Meow Rat Repellant - Wondering if a cheap battery powered mp3 player connected to a small speaker with a track having 'meow' recorded will work?
Old 19th March 2015, 08:43   #1029
BHPian

I woke up with this today !!!

With Air intake pipe of my I20 Petrol totally bitten of is towing the only option for me !! Can any body please advice ..( Just a week back i had seen a puncture in this pipe and air sound made me realize it is because of rat bite and had covered it with Tape and running )

I didn't have time to get it shown and replace, now I am left with no air intake..
Attached Thumbnails
Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-img20150319wa0000.jpg  

Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-img20150319wa0001.jpg  

Old 19th March 2015, 13:46   #1030
BHPian

I have been following a fixed protocol since the last few years. It is as follows:
1. Prevent access- Spray diesel on the floor below the engine and sprinkle agricultural rat repellent or sulphur powder around the parking space(but not near the car or else it ll stick to my shoes and the smell carries into the car too)
2. Prevent damage-I use products from auto shine and autoglaze which are basically rat repellent. These are to be sprayed / kept in the engine bay.
3. Keep the parking area and adjacent area clear of debris
4. Prevent accumulation of waste and food products in the car.
It 's not foolproof but good enough.
urban legend is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2015, 06:40   #1031
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbhangui View Post
Meow Rat Repellant - Wondering if a cheap battery powered mp3 player connected to a small speaker with a track having 'meow' recorded will work?
I had a slightly similar idea. I downloaded from the net several small mp3 clips of mice screaming in terrible pain. When I played these sounds on my mobile when a mouse was moving around in the society premises, it did startle the mouse. I am not sure though if it will become immune to these sounds over a period of time. I didn't have the time to try it out in my car.
Old 12th May 2015, 11:46   #1032
Senior - BHPian

Bhpians: is it possible to identify whether it is a cat or a rat that is making the fiesta's engine bay it's home?

Attached are pictures of the cat/rat refuse. And i did spot a cat below the car actually!

the engine cover: i did remove the engine cover for aesthetic purposes, but after seeing the 'menace', i fitted it back.
Attached Thumbnails
Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-imag0007.jpg  

Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-imag0006.jpg  

Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-picsay1431410247.jpg  

Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-imag0009.jpg  

Old 12th May 2015, 15:25   #1033
Distinguished - BHPian

Cat/Rat differences...

Cats do not leave behind mess, other than stray fur. They do not (usually, at least; there's always the odd completely crazy cat!) chew rubber, and they certainly will not be crapping.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2015, 09:04   #1034
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
Bhpians: is it possible to identify whether it is a cat or a rat that is making the fiesta's engine bay it's home?

Attached are pictures of the cat/rat refuse. And i did spot a cat below the car actually!

the engine cover: i did remove the engine cover for aesthetic purposes, but after seeing the 'menace', i fitted it back.
That looks familiar. Cat droppings and cat pug/paw marks just like I have in my car's engine bay. It's a real mess to clean up and cat refuse does have a peculiar rancid smell which gives me a headache. But I have indulged them coz they keep the rats and even bandicoots away.

How do I know it's a cat, not a rat? The sound dampening on the underside of the hood has light brown fur stuck to it. As we all know, rats and mice have dark grey or black fur. Because of this peculiar habit of cats in my housing colony I make it a point to check under the hood before starting the engine. I have opened it only to see a cat resting in the small gap between the engine and the hood. They have amazingly flexible bodies.
Old 17th May 2015, 13:32   #1035
Distinguished - BHPian

Checked my car and it's now full of droppings which look disturbingly similar to rat droppings. Also saw a mouse/rat roaming around the engine compartment. The little critter ran away and hid behind the grill near the windshield. Damn!

Most Viewed