Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2015, 16:58   #1066
Senior - BHPian

re: Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by swapitude View Post
What i do is fill the small plastic bottles with cotton dipped in little eucalyptus oil and hang that bottle in engine bay. puncture few holes in the plastic bottles on all sides. Hang one on each sides (secure with zip ties if needed) and trust me guys, it works like a charm. Make sure the eucalyptus oil you use is strong enough. Peppermint oil also works. Hope this help you guys.
Beware- Eucalyptus oil is flammable.

Eucalyptus trees are actually known to explode, whilst on fire. Eucalyptus forests tend to promote fire because of the volatile and combustible oils produced by the leaves.
FINTAIL is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2015, 15:47   #1067
BHPian

Rodent stuck in the A/c blower (Hyundai I20)

Dear Bhpians,

I guess a mouse got stuck in the A/c blower, Whenever I switch on the A/c there is noise of something stuck and also a foul smell of something rotting accompanies. The Dash board also vibrates, hence I cannot operate the A/c.

I am aware of the presence of rats in our locality, recently the rats had wrecked havoc with my wiring, and had to get them replaced.

Now my query is is there a DIY job that can be done to remove the block, or only a qualified A/c service personnel can do it. Please share you thoughts and if anyone have any similar experiences please guide me.

Thanks in advance

Dear Mods, please move this post to appropriate threads.
Old 17th August 2015, 16:26   #1068
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rodent stuck in the A/c blower (Hyundai I20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by somu_john View Post
Dear Bhpians,

I guess a mouse got stuck in the A/c blower, Whenever I switch on the A/c there is noise of something stuck and also a foul smell of something rotting accompanies. The Dash board also vibrates, hence I cannot operate the A/c.
Dear Somu

Are you sure it is a rodent?

If yes, I suggest it would be better to get it fixed by an authorized workshop.

Reasons:
1) You do not know where exactly the rodent is stuck. It may need some far reaching points as well.

2) The entire dash may require a dismantling and that is a tedious DIY.

The complexities are more if you have an Asta Variant with an ACC.
arnabchak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2015, 16:38   #1069
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnabchak View Post
Dear Somu

Are you sure it is a rodent?

If yes, I suggest it would be better to get it fixed by an authorized workshop.

Reasons:
1) You do not know where exactly the rodent is stuck. It may need some far reaching points as well.

2) The entire dash may require a dismantling and that is a tedious DIY.

The complexities are more if you have an Asta Variant with an ACC.
Yes i'm afraid, it an Asta, I'm 90% sure its a rodent this happened day before and now its started rotting, I can recognize the smell.
Ok then I will have to take it to the service center, no other options.
Old 17th August 2015, 16:42   #1070
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes i'm afraid, it an Asta, I'm 90% sure its a rodent this happened day before and now its started rotting, I can recognize the smell.
Dear Somu

If you want to avoid the high labour charges at Hyundai ASC, you may also take it to a good AC mechanic.

It will not be a very lengthy process for these professionals and you may need to do a 3M "germkleen" fix post the rodent removal to ensure that the air you breathe is not toxic.
arnabchak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2015, 16:42   #1071
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If it is a rodent and if it has started rotting already, I guess you should be hurrying to SC. Also ensure you disinfect the AC system completely.
vibbs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2015, 13:37   #1072
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
If it is a rodent and if it has started rotting already, I guess you should be hurrying to SC. Also ensure you disinfect the AC system completely.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnabchak View Post
Dear Somu

If you want to avoid the high labour charges at Hyundai ASC, you may also take it to a good AC mechanic.

It will not be a very lengthy process for these professionals and you may need to do a 3M "germkleen" fix post the rodent removal to ensure that the air you breathe is not toxic.
Got the bugger, removed him, he was inside the blower, visited an A/c workshop, and they dismantled the entire dashboard, steering, and center console, to reach the blower. They also had to dismantle the clutch pedal, in order to save the cost of refilling the gas. In all they charged 2700 bucks and the entire ordeal took more than 5 hours. Just imagine the power of a rat Vehicle manufactures should come out with a solution for this. It is really frustrating.
somu_john is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th August 2015, 20:31   #1073
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
I think i need to share my experience here which will help many of you guys i am sure

Even in my society rats come out in the night for the hunt to eat something but end up chewing wires of the cars and bikes parked.
Wires of my XUV 500 had been eaten up atleast 4-5 times and everytime the car had to be taken to the service center on a flatbed, Once the car went through a complete wiring change of the car which costed me around 24k! Similar thing has happend with my previous cars VW polo and Sx4.

Had tried everything from tobacco, Medicines for rat, Devices which makes sound and is supposed to scare the rats away, but in the end none of it worked.

Finally my dad decided to give a call to one of his really old mechanic, and well here is the best solution.

Solution : Tar brush, Available at hardware stores, now you need to fix it at crucial places from where the rat can get inside your engine compartment or anywhere else, for instance its fixed near the engine above and below in my xuv 500, and its been almost a year now and i have no issues, even though i can see around 4 huge rats almost everynight roaming freely in the society.

Will post pics if anyone would like to see how is it installed.

Regards,
Tanveer
Can you post some pics of it? Also pic of where all you placed them in XUV helps me precisely.
Old 20th August 2015, 23:36   #1074
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathya_nars View Post
Can you post some pics of it? Also pic of where all you placed them in XUV helps me precisely.
I had posted the pics in this thread, There you go, http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...-menace-8.html

Hope it helps.

Edit : Posting the pictures in this thread as well, I hope mods will allow it, Since not everyone would see the pictures in the thread i had posted earlier.
Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-rat-1.jpg
Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-rat-2.jpg
Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-rat-3.jpg
Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-rat-4.jpg
Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-rat-5.jpg

Last edited by Tanveer_2558 : 20th August 2015 at 23:46.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th August 2015, 16:04   #1075
BHPian

Quote:
Dear Bhpians,

I am aware of the presence of rats in our locality, recently the rats had wrecked havoc with my wiring, and had to get them replaced.
Two months back Rats had chewed on my wiring going out from the battery to the ECU, I came to know about it only when the car wouldn't start. Then I called the local service guy from near by Amaron store, and he fixed it up by joining all broken wires with a fresh wire.

Now my question is :- is it safe for the car to remain like that or should I get the entire wiring redone by a proper service centre, my father recently cautioned me that it is dangerous to use the car as is, since there is a risk of the car catching fire,upon any short circuit.

Friends please throw some light into this issue and give me your suggestions.
Old 28th August 2015, 01:40   #1076
BHPian

Last week when I cranked up the engine on my 7 month old car, there was some vibration and immediately I noticed the engine check light on dash has not gone off. When I opened the engine compartment while engine was still running, found heavy blue spark leaking from one of the cables connected to spark plugs. Immediately turned off the ignition and checked out of 4 cables connected to cylinder head. 3 wires chewed by rat causing leak of current from one of the plugs.
For few seconds I was frozen. We use same parking under our apartment for last 15 years, it has never happened. Why a new car!!

Anyhow, getting new genuine wires was the only solution. But how to drive the vehicle in this condition to ASS! Ford road side assistance said they can only tow the vehicle. I was not willing to have a new vehicle towed in entire society . Spoke with dealer and they don't have counter sales for parts, and this is disappointing (this is something I escalated to Ford India later).

So I called my local mechanic to have a look and he said, he can replace the spark plug cable with Swift's as socket and size of plugs is same. This would allow me to drive safely to ASS.
Got to Ford Gautambudh Noida, and they took 15 minutes to replace the cables and other 15 minutes to check all other wiring and connections are intact.

But ASS replaced all 4 sprak plug wires, not just the damaged one! Each wire had a different cost based on length. My bill was approx 2600 Rs.

Since then I am having sleepless nights and often think about it while on bed, I get nightmares of rodents chewing the wires again!

Following various posts on this thread for last 3 days, I realize:
1. Ultrasonic devices don't work much and I already have Autocop 24h GPS tracker, so cannot install other device that can result in flat battery.
2. The repellent spray and turfkote repellent available on Amazon.in has not a single good review.
3. Mortein rat killer is not good. It attracts rodents to eat and die. I tested it last night.
4. Tabacco, Nap balls near alloys seems like a good idea to repel, but I believe spraying agricultural anti-rodent chemical around parking a very practical solution.

Q: Where can we buy agricultural rodenticides in Delhi NCR. What type of shop it sells and any specific company/brand?

Last edited by cowboy45 : 28th August 2015 at 01:44.
cowboy45 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2015, 07:21   #1077
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Two months back Rats had chewed on my wiring going out from the battery to the ECU, I came to know about it only when the car wouldn't start. Then I called the local service guy from near by Amaron store, and he fixed it up by joining all broken wires with a fresh wire.

Now my question is :- is it safe for the car to remain like that or should I get the entire wiring redone by a proper service centre, my father recently cautioned me that it is dangerous to use the car as is, since there is a risk of the car catching fire,upon any short circuit.

Friends please throw some light into this issue and give me your suggestions.
Mate, I faced a similar situation of rats chewing the spark plug wire while the car was parked in the apartment parking area in chennai. This happened twice.
Next time i suspended tobacco leaves inside the hood of the car. The smell of the tobacco was sufficient enough to ward off the rats. Problem solved.
Old 9th September 2015, 22:25   #1078
Senior - BHPian

Came across this story of a Raccoon getting stuck in a Hyundai Sonata.

Quote:
I had a squeak in my Sonata's passenger side front-suspension, so I went to my mechanic. He took the key from me, and I was sitting in the lounge. I was just working there while the mechanic was busy test driving and diagnosing. After about 20 minutes, he said, "Ashish, come here, look at this". This is his style, he takes the customers to the workshop to show what is wrong with the car and how to fix it. So I went with him.

The car was on the floor, rather than on the lift, the hood was open and there were other mechanics surrounding the hood. This was completely unexpected. "Look at this", he pointed to the hood, but I couldn't see anything, "there is a raccoon in your hood!" - yes it was a raccoon!!! And it was so carefully hidden, between the engine and air filter box. A very huge raccoon. His tail was the only part accessible to us, so they tried to pull him out from the tail, but he was holding on to the pipes and hoses very, very firmly and it was impossible for them to get it out. In the end, they called pest control, who took the guy out. And pest control guy said he had been doing his job for over 23 years, but never heard of a raccoon in a car. I had a great story to tell, but it was not free, I got the bill in the end:
The highlighted bit made me go

Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-mainqimg29affc4ed7e136e83f17de9e0b229eb8.jpg
ashwin.terminat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2015, 12:45   #1079
BHPian

Guys... I saw this on Aliexpress.com... please check this out.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/ACOSU...rchweb201560_9

The above is for vehicles where it can be fixed inside the bonnet in the engine room and can be switched on when the car is parked or not in use...

This is for parking lots... it can be connected to a plug socket in ur garage and kept near or under the bonnet...

What do you think of these... do you think this will work??

Planning to get the second one and keep it near my car or under the bonnet when car is parked..
Old 26th October 2015, 13:57   #1080
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr_007 View Post
Guys... I saw this on Aliexpress.com... please check this out.

The above is for vehicles where it can be fixed inside the bonnet in the engine room and can be switched on when the car is parked or not in use...

This is for parking lots... it can be connected to a plug socket in ur garage and kept near or under the bonnet...

What do you think of these... do you think this will work??

Planning to get the second one and keep it near my car or under the bonnet when car is parked..
Mate, I faced the issue of rat biting my car's spark plug cable on 2 occasions. The simplest way to ward off the rat was to place tobacco leaves (called poghai illai in Tamil) inside the car bonnet at about 4-5 places.
The stench from the tobacco leaves was sufficient enough to ward off rats.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks