Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2016, 23:30   #1171
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
... Please use tobacco only during emergency and as a short term safety only.
And, after taking up smoking in the face of this expensive and frustrating problem, we have a thread to help people give it up again

Well, you've got to laugh sometimes, right? Or cry...
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2016, 23:52   #1172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace F355 View Post
Guys, with monsoons kicking in across North India, I realized a rat has made my Fortuner's underbody a temporary home. Luckily, no visible damage to any wires under the hood so far, however I would like to understand the best way to protect the vehicle from rat damage. So far I have rubbed a few cigarettes in and around bonnet space to repel the rodents. However I saw some rat hair under the car the other day and I am not sure if tobacco smell is actually having any impact on them.
Ace dont wait for the rats to strike take immediate preventive action. Tanveer's tar brush idea is a good deterrant for any rat. Link is below. I was defending my Civic with tobacco all this while till my luck ran out and my cars wires got chewed away even with tobacco under the hood. I have too implemented the tar brush and i believe its a very good idea.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post3722102
sumeethaldankar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th July 2016, 10:32   #1173
BHPian

I had been using tobacco pouches for maybe 14 years in my Qualis, with no damage by rats, even though I had seen their footprints in the dust on the engine cover, so was doing the same in my Ford Classic for the past two years. A couple of weeks ago my luck ran out when my ABS light came on in the dashboard display. I've now added fistfuls of naphthelene balls until I get the chance to get some of those wire brushes, bottle brushes etc to cover all the available resting places in the engine bay.
OT, the Ford workshop showed me the place where the wire was chewed, accessible from the wheel well, but refused to repair it as it was against Ford's policy. Instead they quoted 27,000 bucks for a complete wiring loom replacement. I was stunned and aghast and took it up with Ford, but they were extremely rigid about it. So after giving them a piece of my mind I'm going to try and fix it myself over the weekend. What a scam! 27K instead of a 5 minute join-tape-silicon sealant job?
FarPatel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2016, 17:23   #1174
BHPian

Guys, again off topic, but I don't know where else to put up this post in order to get a quick response, so please bear with me.
With reference to my post above, Ford Chennai just called me, after I sent them a very strongly worded email yesterday, to say that they will change the wiring at a discount of 75% of the going cost of approx 27K, so I'll need to pay only about 7K for a new wiring loom.
What do you guys think? Should I agree? I'll get a brand new set of cables if I do.
Old 28th July 2016, 17:35   #1175
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarPatel View Post
What do you guys think? Should I agree? I'll get a brand new set of cables if I do.
Depends on how severe the damage is and how long you are planning to keep the car. If it is a minor one or two wires that can be cleanly repaired, you can do that. But if it is wiring loom and connectors then you should go ahead and replace, since ABS is a life saving feature and not worth playing with it.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2016, 17:51   #1176
BHPian

Thanks Jaggu, I do plan to keep the car for as long as I can, and the technician showed me a bitten wire through the wheel well, which is why I thought of repairing it myself. But in retrospect, maybe it'll be a good idea to replace the whole lot, especially since there may be other damage somewhere else too. After all, as you so rightly said, ABS is a life saving feature and its the reason I bought the Titanium version over the others in the first place.
Cheers
FarPatel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2016, 02:34   #1177
BHPian

Dear All, My 1.5 years old Duster AWD was attacked yesterday, and I guess it's quite bad..
The console lights for ABS, Traction Control and the Heating coil are not getting switched off when I start the car. The AWD lock does not work either. It always stays in the 2WD mode. I opened the bonnet and saw the entire shield material on the bonnet eaten up and it smelt rat all over. I could not see any wire damage, but I am no expert to say for sure.
Is it safe to drive the car to the service center which is about 8km away?
I have kept the rat poison inside the engine bay. I believe it's the rain yesterday which forced the rats out of the drains.
Old 31st July 2016, 09:47   #1178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Just came to hear about this from a friend-

Spraying pepper powder inside the car (engine compartment?, and under body areas) or suspected areas could get the rat away. Not sure whether it works or not. Just in case if anyone there experimenting out with different ways, may please try this out as well.
I have been using pepper spray for regular spraying in the engine compartment (the type carried by ladies for protection). It has certainly helped to keep them away. I liberally spray around once or twice a week. Be warned that after spraying you need to slam the bonnet and run for it before it enters your nose.
nitnab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2016, 10:30   #1179
BHPian

Guys I am an oilfield guy and my car stays idle for a month and then run in for a month, so practically its idle for 6 months in a year. I have been handing tobacco pouches with holes made in it for last many years... thats 16 years in the oilfield by just 11 years of owning different cars. So far if has worked like a charm.

The look on the paanwala's face when I ask tobacco and he asks which one, I say " Konsa bhi sasta wala dena" is priceless.

I an going to try Tanveer's method from next time when I get the delivery of my CR-V soon.
Old 31st July 2016, 11:04   #1180
Senior - BHPian

My new Punto Abarths wire was chewed twice recently and after lengthy discussion with Tanveer fixed the cut wires and tied two tar brushes inside the engine bay. So far not even rat droppings spotted.

There are two types of tar brushes. One with handle and one without. Depending on location, you can mix and match and use what is suitable.

I tried cheap tobacco (effect lasts only 4-5 hrs and reduced in rainy season), rat spray etc.

Tar brushes have saved the day and that too at negligible cost!
Old 31st July 2016, 17:04   #1181
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
There are two types of tar brushes. ...
Things do pick up names for odd or forgotten reasons. I think this is what I call a wire brush. That is what painters and workmen in UK would call it.

But here, they look at me blankly when I mention wire brushes, so, maybe next time I should call it a tar brush. I'd like to know... why tar? But I guess that has nothing to do with rats!
Old 31st July 2016, 18:44   #1182
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Things do pick up names for odd or forgotten reasons. I think this is what I call a wire brush. That is what painters and workmen in UK would call it.

Yes sir ! When I first asked the shop keeper for industrial wire brushes, he was flummoxed. Looks like I was speaking a different language. Then his face showed recollection when I said tar brush.
blackwasp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2016, 18:59   #1183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
My new Punto Abarths wire was chewed twice recently and after lengthy discussion with Tanveer fixed the cut wires and tied two tar brushes inside the engine bay. So far not even rat droppings spotted.

There are two types of tar brushes. One with handle and one without. Depending on location, you can mix and match and use what is suitable.

I tried cheap tobacco (effect lasts only 4-5 hrs and reduced in rainy season), rat spray etc.

Tar brushes have saved the day and that too at negligible cost!
Glad to know it worked fine for you too, Now finally you can peacefully enjoy those 145 horses and start them up everyday without any fear, Do pass on this idea to who ever faces this problem in your friend circle too.
Old 31st July 2016, 20:10   #1184
BHPian

I too couldn't figure out for months where or how these brushes were used to apply tar (as in bitumen), until my wife looked at me like I'm stupid, and said 'tar, as in wire in Hindi'. Really felt dumb then.
FarPatel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2016, 21:15   #1185
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarPatel View Post
... my wife looked at me like I'm stupid, and said 'tar, as in wire in Hindi'. Really felt dumb then.
Wonderful!

Thank you so much for solving the mystery. Although my Tamil/Malayalam-speaking wife has learnt some Hindi, I don't think that would have occurred to her any more than it would to me.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks