Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2016, 11:57   #1201
BHPian

re: Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by gautamkhadse View Post
One of my friend who is into chemical manufacturing , has recently releaed the following product .

http://www.amazon.in/dp/B01ELA2G6A

Disclaimer : Have no affiliation or business interest . Try it at your own will .
I too tried it recently. Looks like an effective product.

Last edited by GTO : 11th September 2016 at 17:54. Reason: Typo
sidzz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2016, 13:59   #1202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gautamkhadse View Post
One of my friend who is into chemical manufacturing , has recently releaed the following product .

http://www.amazon.in/dp/B01ELA2G6A

Disclaimer : Have no affiliation or business interest . Try it at your own will .

Sprays dont work. only solution is Tar Brushes at all points where rats can sit. For ertiga owners the space behind the battery where the Ac ,Shvs wires are. Rats sit at this place.put a tar brush in that space
Old 17th August 2016, 01:54   #1203
Distinguished - BHPian

Rat-proof skirts for cars --- an idea from China (BBC News Site)
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2016, 07:58   #1204
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lodhra View Post
Thank you for all these tips
I have been at receiving end of rodents and have till now spent almost 1 lac rupees in damages and still counting as i am looking at wiring overhaul for my safari.
I have spent fortune repairing my car than driving it and hopefully when i take my new car my first buy would not be ladoos but a Tar brush
Very sad to hear the efforts and amount you had to spent for fixing them.

In May this year, I had faced my first encounter with real life mickey mouse. We left new good day biscuit packet inside glove box and forgot about it.

While on a trip, my wife checked to open the packet - she found that packet cover was torn at random places in small holes. She alerted me.

After four days, one night I was waiting outside office to pickup my wife and some slow music playing in the background. The car was idling with A/C on.

Suddenly I hear the munching sound. I almost mute the volume and wait to hear that again. I hear it!!! But I could not understand where it was coming from.

Then I randomly open the glovebox - only to be schoked. I see the rat munching biscuit's inside glove box. It was of atleast 10cms in length. I just bang the glovebox back without a second delay. I was scared by a RAT for the first time.

I immediately purchased and deploy three rat poison inside the glove box with a new biscuit packet. And left it over night.

I called up my SA @ Concorde motors, SanathNagar, Hyderabad. It was 10pm then. He was glad that I put some rat poison in place and asked to me wait & see, how rat responds to it.

Two days later - our society watchman wakes up with a continuous call bell and series of calls. By the time I am into my senses, I could hear that a car horn was intermittently blown and already most of the guys in the society were waiting to see who's car was it.

I go down in half sleep - I realize it is my car, I go burst in Anger. Go banging on the bonnet. Open and close bonnet rudely. Switch on engine and revv. After 20mins into this - I regain my common sense amidst of that annoying noise.

I call up SA and I tell him I am coming. But the noise was getting too much. By now whoever was passing by my society were stopping to get a glimpse of why the car is making such a noise. I got fresh up in just flat 8 mins (I do not remember when was the last time I did so).

This time I go to the car - open the bonnet. First disconnect the battery wire. Noise is gone. I can't ride like that to Concorde, which is 16kms away. So I somehow managed to open the front grill - disconnect the cables from horn set and reseat the battery cable and drive to Concorde.

What happened next at Concorde is a ugly state of affairs - for which I blasted the Concorde SA and local manager, escalated to the MD. After which , the MD along with local bodyshop manager - PraveenReddy helped to solve things out.

Fast forward to 8 Sept 2016:

My society watchman shows up at my door and says - Sir!!! the ladies at Ganesh pandal in the basement seen a small rat running inside the windows.

I was like - No Ganesha ji, please show mercy on us. I go and scan every inch inside the car. To begin with - the fav. glove box. No sign of rat et all.

That night - after reaching home, I tape out (from inside) the plastic gills for rear light area. I feel safe and a had a pleasant sleep.

on 9 Sept morning, while leaving for office - I open the car door to a stinking odor. It wasn't smelling like a dead rat.

I drove to office. I decide to park the car in sun with all glasses closed - just to make sure the car is an oven by evening.

After work, I open the car door - the odor has increased to 100 times and it is for sure of a dead rat.

I couldn't sleep all night well - was waiting for 6AM in the morning. Reading through TAR brush stories here. And waiting to see my SA as a first customer.

I always loved Mickey Mouse!! Its on my keychain. My laptop wallpaper. But I never ever like to see a real life Mickey Mouse inside my car! I declare a war on them starting today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EDIT: Its Safari Storme (ample dark spots inside engine bay - over the fender corner's. That is where the first attack was seen. The rat bit off the insulation and made its way inside the cabin)

Last edited by Kams_cars : 10th September 2016 at 08:01. Reason: Vehicle model and rat entry point.
Kams_cars is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2016, 00:48   #1205
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kams_cars View Post
In May this year, I had faced my first encounter with real life mickey mouse. We left new good day biscuit packet inside glove box and forgot about it.

I immediately purchased and deploy three rat poison inside the glove box with a new biscuit packet. And left it over night.

Fast forward to 8 Sept 2016:

I couldn't sleep all night well - was waiting for 6AM in the morning. Reading through TAR brush stories here. And waiting to see my SA as a first customer.
The technician worked his way through the plastic panels beside the clutch and found a dead rat. He got that area cleaned. I carried a small perfume bottle and asked him to finish it on that area alone. Drove back.

I do not know whether I am lucky to see the rat died after consuming the left over rat poison, which I kept in the month of May for the first encounter. It looked like the first rat carried the poison from glove box to the dark, clumsy area between the panels and left half of it there.

looks Like I am going to stick with rat poison for immediate future. I will surely look into TAR brush installation soon too.

Last edited by Kams_cars : 11th September 2016 at 00:48. Reason: good edit.
Old 11th September 2016, 13:22   #1206
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The technician worked his way through the plastic panels beside the clutch and found a dead rat. He got that area cleaned.
What a horrible job those guys have to do! Ten years ago, I had a rat body that was decomposing so badly it was dripping out of the obscure body-work niche it had died in.

There was no smell inside the car, but nobody could stand near that side. It would have taken the technician some time to take stuff apart and then clean out.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2016, 13:35   #1207
BHPian

I have been using this and till date rats havent troubled my XUV 500 refresh. http://www.amazon.in/SWE-Rat-Repelle...EK7P657VZH41SR

Hope people find it useful.
SX4LOVER is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2016, 20:35   #1208
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
What a horrible job those guys have to do!
I tried all seats and rear corners of my car on Friday night. That too after finishing my dinner, by spraying perfume on my hands for an instant relief.

Finally when I reached the driver seat - the smell was evident. I was sure it was there, but I could not proceed further. So, straight to workshop.

Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-dirty1.jpg

Since yesterday, I am leaving a jasmine flower maala with windows rolled down (hardly 1/2 inch). Still very little foul smell is left over. Hoping tomorrow will be sunny and will park the car under sun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SX4LOVER View Post
I have been using this and till date rats havent troubled my XUV 500 refresh. http://www.amazon.in/SWE-Rat-Repelle...EK7P657VZH41SR

Hope people find it useful.
Dear, which parts of the car did you spray this over? I am interested to know whether both wet & dry corners still hold good.
Old 13th September 2016, 08:44   #1209
BHPian

Quote:

Dear, which parts of the car did you spray this over? I am interested to know whether both wet & dry corners still hold good.
I had sprayed it all over the engine and entry points and cables etc. All seem to be safe and sound as of now.
SX4LOVER is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2016, 08:55   #1210
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srikanthan View Post
I received the SWE Rat repellent a week back and immediately used it. After that, I do not see any further rat bites. In addition, I have tied 'country tobacco' (in tamil "Naattu Pogai Ilai") in the engine bay at few places.

Still keeping fingers crossed. I will keep updating this thread.
Srikanthan, Are you still using this repellent spray and does it work well. I saw the pics of your car, and surprisingly my Vento too got rat bitten exactly at the same spot and same set of wires. Seems to be some favourite spot with the rats.
Old 24th October 2016, 10:06   #1211
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gautamal View Post
Srikanthan, Are you still using this repellent spray and does it work well. I saw the pics of your car, and surprisingly my Vento too got rat bitten exactly at the same spot and same set of wires. Seems to be some favourite spot with the rats.
I was using it for nearly 6 months and then stopped. It worked for me. Also I tied country tobacco around those spots. After that episode, I do not have any repeat incident.

Your question reminds to me to buy the repellent again -- Chennai monsoon is arriving soon.
Srikanthan is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2016, 11:14   #1212
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
During my tenure in Chennai back in 2010, I used Poghai Illai inside the bonnet to ward off the rats. To be honest it did work as i encountered 2 cases of rat biting the spark plug wire that resulted in erratic running of the engine. I feel it is cheap and effective.
Old 24th October 2016, 11:52   #1213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
During my tenure in Chennai back in 2010, I used Poghai Illai inside the bonnet to ward off the rats. To be honest it did work as i encountered 2 cases of rat biting the spark plug wire that resulted in erratic running of the engine. I feel it is cheap and effective.
Sorry, but what is "Poghai Illai" . Could you please elaborate.
Old 24th October 2016, 13:01   #1214
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry, but what is "Poghai Illai" . Could you please elaborate.
Poghai Illai as called in Tamil is nothing but tobacco leaves . I bought about 5-6 pieces and kept them at different places inside the car bonnet. The smell is sufficient enough to ward off the rats.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2016, 14:16   #1215
BHPian

I don't know if anyone has tried this but it's been about 2 weeks and I seem to have got rid of my pet rat by wiping all accessible areas inside the engine bay with concentrated LYSOL on a sponge.

This is after trying; rat repellent, sticky rat mats, sprayed on chili water, eucalyptus oil, and several other suggestions by well meaning people, but the damn rodent continued eating and crapping all over the engine shroud of my Linea for a good 3 odd months, every day !!!!(luckily nothing chewed).

So either the Lysol's worked, or the rat's found a nicer car, or gone on vacation. Will keep you updated in a couple of weeks.

Cheers.

p.s. The other upside is the nice clean engine bay.
keroo1099 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks