Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2017, 23:21   #1276
NH7
BHPian

Thought it effective too, and didn't displace the neighbourhood cat from regularly plonking in my garage. That's until I saw it cosying up on the warm bonnet a couple of times. Damn scratch marks now. And it's a lot harder to find something that repells cats!
NH7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2017, 11:18   #1277
BHPian

re: Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice

Hi, I have three cars, only I drive and I travel a lot. this results in the cars parked in open portico months together. Amenable to the danger of RAT attack. After trying all the suggestions including some crazy one, settled for RAT Repellant Machine mfd by Varuna Enterprises Bangalore. I am using it since the last 3 years, has both AC/DC options. The only issue is your battery drains out and you need to start the engine often, though not using. I am using it for my Beamer, Volvo and Forester. No RAT problem, although I have seen BIG DADA rats moving around can give contact if some one needs it.

Satya

Last edited by GTO : 24th October 2017 at 22:49. Reason: Reinstating post
sumukha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2017, 11:41   #1278
BHPian

After trying everything from Tobacco, anti rat spray to low frequency sound machines I couldn't stop the rat menace, it bit almost all cars in our apartment, the tobacco which used to deter the rat was turning out to be useless, as it had become immune to the rat inspite of changing every 3-4 days, that's when I took extreme step and thanks to @Tanveer_2558 for his creative idea of using metal brushes inside the engine room.

No rats after this and it's now keeping the bandicoot in check. To make this setup even you can do by yourself, I preferred an expert so I called a known technician from Ford who knew everything about the car, so he cut the metal brush and separated the wooden-alone part and tagged them in the area which he felt secured to hold them in position, he did even put underneath where they cannot climb up, as a precaution on some areas we used 3M automotive tapes so that it holds firmly, overall he did a decent job and last week I travelled out of station with the metal brushes and everything seems to be fine. I feel this is the ultimate solution for all rat problems.
Attached Thumbnails
Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-img_20171024_133229.jpg  

Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-img_20171024_133210.jpg  

Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-img_20171024_133222.jpg  

johnruben is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th October 2017, 11:49   #1279
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnruben View Post
After trying everything from Tobacco, anti rat spray to low frequency sound machines I couldn't stop the rat menace, it bit almost all cars in our apartment, the tobacco which used to deter the rat was turning out to be useless, as it had become immune to the rat inspite of changing every 3-4 days, that's when I took extreme step and thanks to @Tanveer_2558 for his creative idea of using metal brushes inside the engine room.
Spread with word man, Off course to the people you like.

Also, Some underbody pictures would help others to know where exactly it can be fixed, It differ's from car to car but the basic location remains the same thats exactly behind the tyre.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th October 2017, 12:03   #1280
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
Spread with word man, Off course to the people you like.

Also, Some underbody pictures would help others to know where exactly it can be fixed, It differ's from car to car but the basic location remains the same thats exactly behind the tyre.
Sure, my apartment guys already know now and they asked me to thank you on their behalf (These rats had created havoc biting everything including car cables)

I am attaching few pics underneath, this is all i could see
Attached Thumbnails
Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-img_20171017_132151.jpg  

Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-img_20171017_135056.jpg  

johnruben is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2017, 12:42   #1281
BHPian

Quote:
Sure, my apartment guys already know now and they asked me to thank you on their behalf (These rats had created havoc biting everything including car cables)

I am attaching few pics underneath, this is all i could see
Good to see you've done exactly what I did many posts ago (1187-1197). I too had no recurrences since then, touch wood
Old 25th October 2017, 16:19   #1282
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
After trying everything from Tobacco, anti rat spray to low frequency sound machines I couldn't stop the rat menace, it bit almost all cars in our apartment, the tobacco which used to deter the rat was turning out to be useless, as it had become immune to the rat inspite of changing every 3-4 days, that's when I took extreme step and thanks to @Tanveer_2558 for his creative idea of using metal brushes inside the engine room. ... ...
Wow, that really is war-basis protection.

One thing, though: have you managed to do it without exchanging rats for rattles?
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2017, 22:54   #1283
BHPian

Maruti Suzuki dealers (Suraksha in BLR) fit a mesh for ~ INR 700 that prevents rats from coming inside the Maruti cars. I had this fitted on my Ritz (now sold) and have it on my Swift. Very effective

I recently purchased a Hyundai Verna and Hyundai showroom says there is no such option and are offering to sell a spray. Hyundai owners: Do you know anything like a mesh that can prevent rats from coming inside the car?

No rats in my area but I want to be absolutely sure
bhpfaninblr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2017, 08:33   #1284
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adneeraj View Post
....looked up for a few rat kill options online and found this one.
Ordered it and found out to be extremely helpful.
Wow, glad to see your post because I just placed an order yesterday morning and waiting for the delivery. I couldn't find this spray mentioned anywhere on this thread. Had to follow the reviews on Amazon which I don't trust always.

We have an extreme rat war zone in our society after dark. There are multiple sizes of them running around. Although I saw some of my neighbors' cars towed away for repairs after the rats cut many cables and wires including the fuel line of a new Verna, I was told by someone that diesel engines are usually spared. But last night when I opened the bonnet for filling windshield fluid, there were 2 huge rats hanging on some cables. I took few rounds and found everything working. I can't think of a situation with chewed up wires as the repairs could cost me a bomb. Waiting for the Nichem spray
Old 29th October 2017, 13:24   #1285
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumukha View Post
After trying all the suggestions including some crazy one, settled for RAT Repellant Machine mfd by Varuna Enterprises Bangalore.
Please start a new thread with full details in the Assembly Line Section (More Information about this sub-forum). Once your thread is complete, you may report the post, and a Team-BHP Moderator will move your thread out to the public forum. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhpfaninblr View Post
Maruti Suzuki dealers (Suraksha in BLR) fit a mesh for ~ INR 700 that prevents rats from coming inside the Maruti cars. I had this fitted on my Ritz (now sold) and have it on my Swift. Very effective
You also please start a new thread with pics & details. Thanks!
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th October 2017, 17:56   #1286
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
.... Hyundai owners: Do you know anything like a mesh that can prevent rats from coming inside the car?
My neighbor has a Verna and rats cut his fuel line and few other wires. It had to be towed away (as mentioned in my previous post). It came back with a mesh fitted by Hyundai service centre, which costed him Rs.800. If you need any further info, I can get for you.

I am surprised at the metal brush usage, I would never do that

My wife's cousin had permanent rat issues with all his cars as his parking was outside the house near a public drain. Either the power wire or the AC wire used to be the regular damages on his Innova. He tried many different solutions but none of them had much effect. He suggested me 2 solutions that are better than many others. Hope it can help others :

1. Whole pepper kept at areas where rats can rest (strictly not powdered)
2. A repellent Spray available at Toyota service (not sure of the name).
shajufx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2017, 08:16   #1287
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
My neighbor has a Verna and rats cut his fuel line and few other wires. It had to be towed away (as mentioned in my previous post). It came back with a mesh fitted by Hyundai service centre, which costed him Rs.800. If you need any further info, I can get for you.
I would be very interested to get the mesh fitted. Sent you a PM. Please respond

Quote:
I am surprised at the metal brush usage, I would never do that
Seems like it is very effective though. Will check the mesh option first - do not want rats coming inside even by mistake

Quote:
1. Whole pepper kept at areas where rats can rest (strictly not powdered)
2. A repellent Spray available at Toyota service (not sure of the name).
Hyundai suggests a repellent spray on the engine. Will try that when I give the vehicle for the 1200-1500km service
Old 31st October 2017, 11:23   #1288
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I would be very interested to get the mesh fitted. Sent you a PM....
I took a picture of what he did, its not what I expected but the service guys said it solves the issue. He did it at Advaith, costed around Rs.400 (paid in cash not included in the bill). May be thats the sensitive area rats are attracted to. I would suggest you get a spray like what I ordered on Amazon. Its Nichem no entry spray. I think the sprays mentioned by Toyota and Hyundai owners are similar. Names may be different but the content might be same.
Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-ver.jpg

I did another close inspection of my engine bay, so far no fresh foot prints in the last 48 hours (the dirt what you see is Saturday night's foot prints). Any BMW owners here experienced a rat issue ? I find most cables are already well insulated, some of them are metal casing itself, others are hard plastic which is tough to open even with a cutter. I am not taking a chance, Spray is 'out for delivery' now, will comment about it in few days.
Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-x.jpg
shajufx is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st October 2017, 12:09   #1289
BHPian

Quote:
I took a picture of what he did, its not what I expected but the service guys said it solves the issue. He did it at Advaith, costed around Rs.400 (paid in cash not included in the bill).
Advaith? I had checked with Advaith Bannerghatta and they had said they cannot do this. Please share the advaith showroom and the number of the technician that does this
Old 31st October 2017, 12:30   #1290
BHPian

Quote:
I would suggest you get a spray like what I ordered on Amazon. Its Nichem no entry spray. I think the sprays mentioned by Toyota and Hyundai owners are similar. Names may be different but the content might be same.
I have used No Entry spray along with my tar brushes and judging by its pungent and offensive smell I think it is pretty effective. The downside to this product is that the propellant in my can has escaped completely after just a couple of uses, leaving behind a lot of the liquid in the can. Can anyone suggest if its worth it to extract more of the product by pumping some air into the can using an electric tyre pump and a football nozzle?
FarPatel is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed