Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2004, 01:51   #1
Senior - BHPian

Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice

Mod Note: Here's a related thread - Link

guys,
my car has all its cables replaced everytime during the monsoons.as the rats in my building have taken a liking for my car.
i have tried everything from rat poison,napthalene balls,now the only option left is keeping a cat inside the engine bay.
plsssssss *lease:tell me as to how can i solve this.
i also tried confusing the rats by parking my car in different places and in different directions ,but of no use.
even ur cars might b having the same problems,wat do u do.

also,is applying a wax polish like turtle wax better than going for either a polymer or teflon coating .
as a good quality wax paste can cost around 500-1k depending upon quality .and u can do it urself throughout the year after maybe 2-3 months.
while a teflon or polymer coating costs around 1-2k depending on the make.and this is done only once .
so please advice.

satya

Last edited by GTO : 2nd June 2015 at 22:26. Reason: Adding link to fencing thread :)
Old 17th June 2004, 11:12   #2
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

teflon coating is good only if u have lotsa scratches[minor] on ur cars. go in for Turtle Wax and use it for the entire year [or maybe 2]. Thats the best option.

Now comin to the rats, theres something called Rat Repellant available in the market. No, its not a spray. Some kind of a electric device which emits some sound which keeps away rats. I dont know how effective this is and whether such a Repellant is available.
v12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2004, 15:43   #3
Team-BHP Support

u bet i had my ikon petrol tube eaten by rats (whan parked for more than 6 months), my friends esteem wiring taken as food..

on a lighter note.. feed rats proper food so that they would leave the car alone, get a cat

my trick was to put some rat poison inside the garage and soon 2 buggers landed around the house premises with foot pointing skywards
Jaggu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th June 2004, 01:08   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (v12 @ June 17 2004,09:42)]. Some kind of a electric device which emits some sound which keeps away rats. I dont know how effective this is and whether such a Repellant is available.
is the sound "meawooooo meawooooooo"

also,i have won a free car detailing worth 1500 rs from 3M as there was a something in both OD and ACI .so now the entire treatment costs 2750rs.the sales person from 3M says that this wud involve removing all the swirl marks,adn dunno wat he meant by oxidation on the body and said that my car wud luk like new as it was in 2001.
so i have to pay the extra 1250 rs over the money i have won .
so i wanna know if its worth going for it.
speedsatya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2004, 12:57   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Getting this topic back, in hope of some solutions to this menace. Had my Esteem half eaten by rats last nite. No petrol pipes, misc wires missing...crappy

GTO
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2004, 20:28   #6
Senior - BHPian

Even i haven't experienced such problem in any of my cars. It's always good to have a few stray cats running around in your yard.

Regards..
Shan2nu
Old 16th August 2004, 00:25   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (GTO @ Aug. 13 2004,11:27)]Getting this topic back, in hope of some solutions to this menace. Had my Esteem half eaten by rats last nite. No petrol pipes, misc wires missing...crappy

GTO
hey gto,
speedsatya has solved his rat problem.now no more rats in my car.
u must have seen the long pricky brushes with which we clean bottles.get about 20 of these and put it in places wher the rats can sit.put it on top of all wires and rubber parts.
put some above ur petrol tank as rats can cum and sit there.and maybe eat ur pipe.
there will sir inside ur car but cannot do anything as these will prick their nose.

the rats in my bldg wud eat the rat poison but now
i bet ,that ur problem will be solved just like mine
just try it.

satya
speedsatya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2004, 01:14   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

What exactly do you call these brushes? WHere can I get them, and how do I make them stay...same on the tank...when I am driving?

GTO
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2004, 22:27   #9
Senior - BHPian

just say u want brushes for cleaning bottles.the long ones.u can tie them on ur wires .i have used plastic ties.wud post photos
regarding the petrol tank ,just push these brushes inside as it is too tight to fall off.

satya

Old 17th August 2004, 01:04   #10
Team-BHP Support

LOL!!

I actually have quite the opposite of a "problem"... but after reading this thread i have realised it is actually a benefit!

Where i park my car is infested with cats!!! As soon as the car comes home there are cats sleeping on the warm bonet at night, or under the car in the afternoon sun!
Sometimes i take the car out and my vision is distracted by paw marks on the windsheild !! lol

But now i am willing to forgive all this due to the info in this thread!
The cats get all the food they need from the garbage can which is 2 feet away from my car.....

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2004, 01:16   #11
Senior - BHPian

asked my driver how to solve this prob, he said that we too had faced this prob long time ago,, so before locking the car he would place 5 to 6 samrani(holy incsence for god, not agarbattis) and due to the smoke, the rats would leave

didnt believe this idea but worth a try if you r deperate
Old 17th August 2004, 12:21   #12
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]
just say u want brushes for cleaning bottles.the long ones.u can tie them on ur wires .i have used plastic ties.wud post photos
regarding the petrol tank ,just push these brushes inside as it is too tight to fall off.
Hey Satya,

Thanks man. Will have it done today itself. But is it possible for you to post pictures soon? Would rather go for a tried and tested method than trying to experiment myself.

GTO
Old 27th August 2004, 02:03   #13
Senior - BHPian

these are photos of my car.it has supposedly solved my problems.as now the rats do cum inside but cannot bite anything,due to these brushes.

cya,
ratbuster satya

Old 27th August 2004, 02:51   #14
Team-BHP Support

hmmmm.....

I just hope that none of those brushes get loose and fall off and become a fanbelt buster or worse! Plus i would assume, being plastic, that they would melt over time ?

cya
R
Old 27th August 2004, 12:39   #15
Senior - BHPian

wouldnt thay melt over that hot engine?

Most Viewed