Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2012, 23:09   #721
BHPian

re: Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice

Found this rodent in a decomposed state this evening in the engine bay

Came back and found this thread running to almost 50 pages. Never imagined rats would take a liking to this place. Should I be visiting the A.S.S for an inspection?

Note from Team-BHP Support : Please note that it is imperative for you to upload pictures directly to the Team-BHP Server. Please click here (Uploading photographs directly to Team-BHP) to view our simple help article on uploading pictures.

Last edited by Rehaan : 24th July 2012 at 09:58. Reason: Please take a look at the mod note that has been added to the end of your post.
Old 22nd July 2012, 23:35   #722
Senior - BHPian

Rats on the rampage again on Swift as well as alto. Leaves and waste in Swift's AC blower duct which, luckily I removed without damages as last time. The side indicator wires were chewed off in Alto.
I am really fed up.

Last edited by rajeev k : 22nd July 2012 at 23:37.
Old 23rd July 2012, 16:30   #723
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prawaal View Post
In the past 1 month, me too suffered from rat terror. ..... i also bought Tufkote product. .. I installed 2 inside cabin and 2 under the hood. Still same problem.
I am calling pest control now for help.
I don't know about you, but I too bought the Tukote product, and installed under the hood. Whilst installing it, and thereafter, I have found that the smell or fumes irritated my eyes so much that I started feeling quite ill.
Finally I have kept in my garage (a closed room) and not under the hood. At least that way I don't have the smell with me when I take the car out. So far, 2 weeks now, the rats have kept away.
Old 23rd July 2012, 20:21   #724
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...thereafter, I have found that the smell or fumes irritated my eyes so much that I started feeling quite ill.
Do you have brown fur? small black eyes? A long tail?

<Joke Alert: No offence!> But this is exactly what it is supposed to do to the rats. I suppose rats' eyes are not so different to ours.

If you are feeling those fumes inside the car when the stuff is under the bonnet, then other, more dangerous, fumes could be entering too. Maybe you placed it near the air inlet? If not, then please check how those fumes got in. For your safety!

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 23rd July 2012 at 20:22.
Old 23rd July 2012, 20:38   #725

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Slang and SMS Language are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Please type in full and proper English for the benefit of other community members.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 25th July 2012 at 12:33.
Dr.Spitfire is offline   Received Infraction
Old 23rd July 2012, 20:50   #726
Distinguished - BHPian

To prevent rats and other small creatures from making a home in my car I make sure of the following:

a) no smoking
b) Absolutely no eating or drinking (only water allowed) in the car - attracts rodents and makes the car stink.
c) Cleaning the dashboard, mats and upholstery regularly with mild soap and water
d) AC intake vent always set to recirculate when the car is parked.

Believe it or not but a cat has made my car its home. It sits in the engine bay between the hood and the engine cam shaft cover. Don't ask me how it squeezes in but it does and boy that's a rodent repellent like no other.

There's cat fur stuck on the hood sound proofing layer and even if the cat is not there that even the predator smell should keep rats far away from my car. The only downside is that the kitty likes to climb on the roof of the car and in the process sometimes puts minor scratches on the paint with her sharp claws.
Old 25th July 2012, 17:44   #727
BHPian

I tried a new product that keeps rats at bay. Autoshine @Kandivali, about whom I had written a review about (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/mumbai...st-mumbai.html), have tried this in my car.
I liked the product due to the below reasons:

1. There is no toxic odour (even with the AC on), after the treatment has been done.
2. The spary module is easy to apply and takes around 45 minutes
3. The effect stays on for 3 months, as claimed by the manufacturer of the product.

But note that:

1. We need to redo this treatment after three months
2. Am not sure if washing the treated area would remove the layer of treatment.

Nearing two months now and so far the rodents are at bay.
Old 27th July 2012, 17:18   #728
Senior - BHPian

I find it really funny and strange that this thread has run into so many pages and no one has a fixed solution.

It's really weird to see some responses like keeping a pet cat, mouse trap(I live in Bombay, there are hordes of rats how many will you catch), tobacco, naphthalene balls and what not.

Can't the car manufacturers take a note and provide some permanent solution for this.

I would like everyone reading this post to ponder over these thoughts.

1. Covering all the exposed wires with some protective material(cable covers/protectors made of hard plastic)

Most of us on this thread have suffered from rats damaging our car wires. Come on guys let's put in some serious thoughts this time rather than making this a joke thread.

Navin.
navin_v8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2012, 22:08   #729
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I find it really funny and strange that this thread has run into so many pages and no one has a fixed solution.
Rats, mosquitoes and a few other things have been on the human problem list for centuries without any good permanent solutions. One of the things that makes rats such a tough problem is their intelligence and adaptability. They are actually clever enough to try only small amounts of new food to see if it makes them ill, thus saving many of them from being poisoned, they can develop immunity to poisons, and, however we block them, they get around it.

However, if LG, which is a relatively low-budget brand, can provide a rat-proof base for my washing machine then why-oh-why can't car manufacturers take this one on board? It's not even as if India is the only country in the world with rats. There is a saying in London: you are never more than ten feet away from a rat! Have to admit, I used to look round at some of the managers when I heard that
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2012, 20:42   #730
BHPian

Hey guys I am a newbie but have been following this thread for quite some time hoping to find a solution.
I have had my share of problems with rats on my indica.
Initially they chewed up some wires going to the indicator and door switch. Gave it for service and the service advisor said they found some bitten wires and have taped them together and should be ok. Few days later found some droppings and pieces of plastic and foam inside the cabin, Guess they have bitten their way through the channel running on either side containing the wires and have come into the cabin. Cleaned up and when I started nothing was abnormal after driving about for a while then the indicators started acting funny and the parking lights were flashing once in a while. Went to the service station again sound some more wires bitten and they taped it. On my way back the problem started again , got frustrated and on reaching home found one side indicator was not working opened up myself and found the wire chewed change the wire myself .
Once the blower was making some noise and luckily a small piece of paper flew out through the vent stopped it and opened up the blower to find loads of paper pieces.
Worst thing that happened was one fine day coming back from my sisters place there was some burning smell and smoke started coming out of the blower vents. I was on the state highway pulled over to the side and by that time there was a small flame. I just switched off the ignition picked up the 2 litre water can that I always have under the driver seat dumped it through the vent and got out of the car leaving the door open. Stayed away and watched for some time then hoping that the flame died down went close and checked(Luckily I was travelling alone so was able to get out fast) . The flame had died down but the smell of burnt windings and Insulation was strong. Turned on the ignition found that the AC blower was not working anymore. The rest seemed ok. Not taking any chances removed all fuses except the bare minimum (head lamps/Indicators) disconnected the central locking and started up. Engine started (thank god!) drove home and went to the service station the next day .After checking they said the blower motor has burned off and some cables together with it and quoted approx. 10 to 12 K for the repairs.
Got back home frustrated and decided to do it myself. Went to the spare part super market in Chennai – pudupet / found a complete blower in good condition and then bought the cable harness with connectors from a shop near royapettah. Came home opened up the dash and changed the blower and the harness checked for any more damaged cables parts and closed up. Total cost 3K
Actually shocked to see the way the cables are laid below the dash very un orderly!

Since then have tried everything including tobacco pouches and naphthalene balls etc..
One thing that made some difference was the termite spray. Just sprayed them around the place where the car is parked and did not notice any dropping in the car after that. But the smell is too strong and is quite irritating .
Attached Thumbnails
Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-img_3825a.jpg  

93000BHP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2012, 08:35   #731
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post

It's really weird to see some responses like keeping a pet cat, mouse trap(I live in Bombay, there are hordes of rats how many will you catch), tobacco, naphthalene balls and what not.

Can't the car manufacturers take a note and provide some permanent solution for this.

I would like everyone reading this post to ponder over these thoughts.

1. Covering all the exposed wires with some protective material(cable covers/protectors made of hard plastic)

Most of us on this thread have suffered from rats damaging our car wires. Come on guys let's put in some serious thoughts this time rather than making this a joke thread.

Navin.
Agree with the exposed wiring part.
Overall the thread does not appear to find any foolproof method to prevent rat menance.
Old 7th September 2012, 14:48   #732
BHPian

hi guys !!!

I am also frustrated with the little beast residing in my car since a month..

It started with a weird smell in my car, a friend said that some mouse is lying dead either in the boot or beneath the seats, I checked the seats/ boot and found a some pop corns, potato chip packet (left overs in car, suddenly disappeared) in the boot, chewed by a rat...I thought the mouse must have done it and this was stinking. Checked my car's every corner, but didn't find the rat..

10 days back I was looking for my resume (cv) kept in the pocket of front left seat's cover, I found it chewed by the rat. I thought rat must have done this and ran away. But yesterday that silly animal crossed the limits, he chewed off some center locking wire, my doors were locked...

I want that rat out of my car and I don’t any want other mouse to get back, Shall I try mortein rat poison? The mechanic told me if he dies in a/c pipe car will stink like hell..?????
What can be done? Pleassssseeeeeeeeeeee help...
I don’t know if it’s a single mouse or more…

by the way, this is a 2004 Model ZEN..
Old 7th September 2012, 14:53   #733
Senior - BHPian

I had my Santro's fuel return pipe near the engine chewed off by a rat recently at the open parking in my apartment. Did not notice it initially and within a kilometer of driving, the strong smell of petrol gave it away. I had almost lost 5 ltrs of petrol by then ! Called the Hyundai road service folks and fixed it by replacing the tube.
Old 7th September 2012, 15:07   #734
BHPian

I face the rodent problem too. Had the winsdshield wiper fluid tube completely chewed by the ektoplasm . Costed me 700 to get a new replacement.

Tried the tobacco pouch, naphthalene balls & termite spray. Nothing works. Now what
Old 7th September 2012, 15:25   #735
Senior - BHPian

i have used WD40 & HIT spray - it helps! just avoid spraying on electrical parts / manifolds. first try WD40 as it is easy to clean it with a cloth at a later stage + as u wipe, it leaves a nice shine.

Rodents leave a nasty smell behind when they leave and they usually know their 'parking spot' with that smell, even if u change your car's parking. WD40 and HIT smell really good and rodents donot like that

Last edited by planet_rocker : 7th September 2012 at 15:27.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks