Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2013, 09:02   #856
BHPian

re: Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice

I was on vacation for two weeks and decided to do something about this rat problem. And fortunately for me, it worked up till now. Here is what I did:

- Used Tufkote
- Sprinkled black pepper powder beneath the car parking space
- placed couple of napthalene balls in the engine area

And Bingo, I came back, switched on the ignition & all vitals normal.

Earlier, rats took a liking for my car, and chewed the wires away to glory. Frequented the service center like 3 times to get it repaired (paid generously, duh !), installed rat mesh to prevent the little ones from entering the insides of the car.

Not sure how long this solution is going to hold, but seems like a good solution.
Old 12th June 2013, 13:09   #857
BHPian

Just wanted to share my latest experience :-

On a very fine Mumbai rainy day yesterday, I just had a random thought to open up the bonnet of my newly acquired VW Polo GT TSI for a looky looky and what do I find? A RAT the size of a size 12 shoe sitting merrily right next to the TSI badge on the engine!
Got it off the engine bay after a bit of heavy handed persuading. The thought of a rat remotely close to the DSG gearbox, Mechatronics & TSI Engine still sending chills to my spine.
Old 12th June 2013, 15:20   #858
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations on your GT TSI

Quote:
The thought of a rat remotely close to the DSG gearbox, Mechatronics & TSI Engine still sending chills to my spine.
Unless it is an electrical linkage to the gear box, etc, then no problems there --- but they disabled one of my direction indicators and were making short work of some of the other lighting connectors too. I believe they have got at the horn connectors, as the sound has changed and become thin.

It's also not much fun to see their excrement on a shiny-bright brand new engine.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2013, 16:40   #859
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Congratulations on your GT TSI
Thanks Thad

Quote:
Unless it is an electrical linkage to the gear box, etc, then no problems there
Hope there is nothing related to the Engine + Gearbox for them to chew on

Quote:
but they disabled one of my direction indicators and were making short work of some of the other lighting connectors too. I believe they have got at the horn connectors, as the sound has changed and become thin.
Looks like they were looking to recreate a "Ratatouille" in your engine bay

Quote:
It's also not much fun to see their excrement on a shiny-bright brand new engine.
Haven't spotted any yet. I take that as a good sign.
esma1981 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2013, 23:56   #860
BHPian

The rat draws First Blood. The left front signal indicator wire. Haven't got it fixed yet. Giving tobacco sachets a shot.
Attached Thumbnails
Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-image3990179118.jpg  

Old 20th June 2013, 14:25   #861
BHPian

I have been feeding the rat with Mortein rat poison cakes for the past 4 days now.But there has been no change is.As a back up i have decided to use MX cable cover. Thanks to the nitnab (Post 768, Page 52). Now i just have to find some time to cover the important cables. It wont stop the rat from getting in the car but atleast there wont be any damage to the cables.
Attached Thumbnails
Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-dsc_0287.jpg  

Dr.Ameya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th June 2013, 15:01   #862
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
i have decided to use MX cable cover.
That's a very good idea! I have several unused lengths of this buried somewhere.

I don't think it would be an ultimate deterrent, but it might make a very good extra defence, and would be a lot cheaper to replace than pieces of wiring loom

(A nice, practical first post: Welcome to Team-BHP )
Old 20th June 2013, 15:27   #863
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Ameya View Post
I have been feeding the rat with Mortein rat poison cakes for the past 4 days now.But there has been no change is.As a back up i have decided to use MX cable cover. Thanks to the nitnab (Post 768, Page 52). Now i just have to find some time to cover the important cables. It wont stop the rat from getting in the car but atleast there wont be any damage to the cables.
Welcome Ameya. Nice defense. By the way, it would be nice if you could share the cost of the cable cover too. Is it metal? In case, I hope not one which would rust.

Thanks,
Saket
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2013, 15:36   #864
Senior - BHPian

I know this may sound crazy but Pudhina is actually working well as rats hate the smell and i have seen hardly any poop in the last few months.

Only issue is pudhina needs to be refreshed everyday.

The best way i have tried protecting my car is to

- ensure i start it everyday in the morning and move it if not taking it out.
- Use the sock method -
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/mumbai...ml#post2899111

- I ensure i do that everyday post i retire my car in the shed.
- Even if i am going out of town i have asked someone to start the car once and move it a bit.

Above all what works for me is i dont stay in an apartment. So i ahve to ensure my house is clean, any place that can breed and keep these rats alive are cleaned.

Lately Pudhina is doing wonders where i have not seen rat poop even in the usual areas.
Old 20th June 2013, 15:58   #865
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Is it metal?
It is some form of plastic, which is why I suspect that the rats would get through it in the end
Old 20th June 2013, 16:21   #866
BHPian

Thanks guys for the warm welcome. Here are the details of the MX cable cover.
Quote:
By the way, it would be nice if you could share the cost of the cable cover too. Is it metal? In case, I hope not one which would rust.
It is made up of plastic ( Polypropylene)
Comes in various diameters of 1.5 m lengths( 10mm,16mm,22mm,28mm,34mm)
Cost varies by diameter. I got the 28mm cover for Rs.275 and the 22mm cover for Rs.250. I wish I had haggled with the vendor for a bit more discount! I think these two diameters will suffice in covering the exposed wire bit at least in most new cars. The cable cover itself is available in electronic hardware shops.
You might however need to find a good mechanic to get the job done thoroughly as reaching in some areas under the hood can be a bit tricky and cant be done all by yourself.
Dr.Ameya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2013, 20:03   #867
Senior - BHPian

My one month old Beat had 3 rat attacks already, first instance it cut the speaker wires of remote locking and also a small portion of PVC pipe near the ECM, second instance it continued its journey on the same area and bit the horn wires, third instance it took a liking for the wiper. I have fixed all these cut wires so far myself, I had used Tufkote earlier onmy Accent and it worked well, this time as I had no stock and also because it was expensive. Everyday I start the car the little fellow would move out from the engine bay. Then I bought an Ultrasonic rat repellent and fixed it near the horn.
http://www.varnacrafts.com/auto-ultr...-repellent.htm
Two days later observed that rats were still entering the engine bay, I called up the repellent guy, he told the device will be effective after 5-6 days only. Without further wasting any time I took one Tufkote bottle from a friend and fixed it near ECM, then put tobacco satchets near the horn. It has been more than a week now and rats have not turned up, today I have removed the Tufkote and Tobacco satchets to see whether the ultrasonic device works or not. I will keep this thread updated with findings of next 3 days.
Old 15th July 2013, 13:02   #868

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
Then I bought an Ultrasonic rat repellent and fixed it near the horn.
http://www.varnacrafts.com/auto-ultr...-repellent.htm
Two days later observed that rats were still entering the engine bay, I called up the repellent guy, he told the device will be effective after 5-6 days only. Without further wasting any time I took one Tufkote bottle from a friend and fixed it near ECM, then put tobacco satchets near the horn. It has been more than a week now and rats have not turned up, today I have removed the Tufkote and Tobacco satchets to see whether the ultrasonic device works or not. I will keep this thread updated with findings of next 3 days.
Hi deehunk,

I am looking to buy the Varna Ultrasonic rodent repellant too.

It sounds promising and the delivery within Bangalore is offered the very next day. So, I am tempted to order it ASAP.

Please share your thoughts on the same. Is it effective after the promised 5-6 days? Also, how is it mounted? I can see mounting holes in the picture of the product. Is some drilling involved?

Thanks,
RLight
Old 15th July 2013, 13:36   #869
Senior - BHPian

Rats repeatedly enter my cars engine bay and shit on the cam cover. I tried tobacco, rat poison cakes, spraying phenol and all of the above together, but these pesky rodents continue to make the engine bay their loo. :( . Luckily they haven't chewed on any wiring as of now. Would like to hear how do you guys deal with this ?
Old 15th July 2013, 16:16   #870
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavy_foot View Post
Rats repeatedly enter my cars engine bay and shit on the cam cover. I tried tobacco, rat poison cakes, spraying phenol and all of the above together, but these pesky rodents continue to make the engine bay their loo. :( . Luckily they haven't chewed on any wiring as of now. Would like to hear how do you guys deal with this ?
This time try a rat mesh. But let go the rat far from your place after it gets caught into it; they are notorious (& smart) enough to return if let go nearby!

Most Viewed