Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2015, 16:17   #1036
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
That looks familiar. Cat droppings and cat pug/paw marks just like I have in my car's engine bay.
I am really dubious that a cat would be crapping in the engine bay. A cat's habit is to crap in soil/sand and then cover it. It also needs the headroom to squat upright in semi-sitting position. They also will usually not like to use any place that they generally sit or lie in as a toilet: they are fussy animals!

A cat that is kept indoors, or has access only to concrete-covered ground may break some of these rules. A cat that is emotional disturbed may do all sorts of weird toilet things like using your table, keyboard, or favourite mat (cat and person need counselling ). But they still need the space and the headroom.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2015, 18:27   #1037
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I am really dubious that a cat would be crapping in the engine bay. A cat's habit is to crap in soil/sand and then cover it. It also needs the headroom to squat upright in semi-sitting position. They also will usually not like to use any place that they generally sit or lie in as a toilet: they are fussy animals!

A cat that is kept indoors, or has access only to concrete-covered ground may break some of these rules. A cat that is emotional disturbed may do all sorts of weird toilet things like using your table, keyboard, or favourite mat (cat and person need counselling ). But they still need the space and the headroom.
LOL! Counselling! Jokes aside, Thad, you're absolutely right, cats would need room to squat to do their 'job'.

So, after many years of assuming they're cat droppings, today's visual of a rodent and the posts on this thread were an eye opener. They are indeed rodent droppings. However these is definitely a cat that 'lives' there. There's cat fur all over the place and I have had to shoo one away before starting the car. Now I am beginning to think it's probably been on the hunt, stalking, waiting for a rodent to pounce on.

Also, this is the rodent I saw today. Relatively harmless - the chuchundri or shrew. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asian_house_shrew

Luckily the rodent(s) didn't chew thru any cables or wires and all is well with the car. That said, I will be taking some anti rat/shrew/mouse measures henceforth. Now, where the heck has that cat gone?!

PS - hope that shrew hasn't given birth to any little ones in the car. Yikes!

Last edited by R2D2 : 17th May 2015 at 18:29.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2015, 00:08   #1038
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Also, this is the rodent I saw today. Relatively harmless - the chuchundri or shrew. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asian_house_shrew
I don't think you have any worried with that little creature, which, in these parts, is called a moonj eli, [long-]nose rat (Tamil speakers, please forgive me if I have massacred the words). They eat insects, and I don't think they chew wires. We have some living in the side passage by our house, and quite enjoy catching glimpses of them. We don't even mind [telling our maid to] clean up their toilet places! Although it may be called an eli, as you have found, it is not a rat at all but a very different animal.

I have read that cats tend to avoid them for some reason; I forget what, but there is a cat who also lives in that passage and they cohabit somehow. The fact that the cat has no teeth left may help.

No, we are not just full of soppy animal love: I think I may have posted, back in the thread, that we had to call the trappers and pest-control people in when we had a big real-rat problem. including bitten car wires. The only way to live with rats would be to let them take over, and that is just not on.
Old 18th May 2015, 06:29   #1039
BHPian

Taming of the Shrew is a tricky affair as expertly documented by Shakespeare. It is the same critter that I have seen around my vehicle too. While cables and wires may not be part of its diet, the mess and smell created by it are highly avoidable. I will install Rat Repellent by Tufcote today and let's see how that works, specially during my upcoming two weeks vacation when the vehicle will not be used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post

Luckily the rodent(s) didn't chew thru any cables or wires and all is well with the car. That said, I will be taking some anti rat/shrew/mouse measures henceforth. Now, where the heck has that cat gone?!
Old 18th May 2015, 11:09   #1040
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arao View Post
While cables and wires may not be part of its diet, the mess and smell created by it are highly avoidable. I will install Rat Repellent by Tufcote today and let's see how that works, specially during my upcoming two weeks vacation when the vehicle will not be used.
Starting today I'll be taking some anti rodent measures too before they cause any damage. I am really concerned about stripped insulation on wires causing any short circuits.

Quote:
I have read that cats tend to avoid them for some reason; I forget what, but there is a cat who also lives in that passage and they cohabit somehow. The fact that the cat has no teeth left may help..
There's probably a reason why cats and other rats stay away from shrews - some breeds are supposed to be mildly poisonous (according to articles on the internet) and the musky smell is a real stinker, something you want to stay away from. For e.g. http://members.chello.at/natura/shrew/cult-poison.html

Quote:
No, we are not just full of soppy animal love: I think I may have posted, back in the thread, that we had to call the trappers and pest-control people in when we had a big real-rat problem. including bitten car wires. The only way to live with rats would be to let them take over, and that is just not on.
Vermin (rats, bandicoots, cockroaches et al) and I don't get along All my "Live & let live" beliefs go flying out of the window & I see red. So, if it means calling up the pest control chaps so be it.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2015, 11:28   #1041
BHPian

I was a victim of "rat" rage. The imported "Eagle Eyes" I had on my car fell prey to the chewing of the rat. I was lucky that it had cheewed the wire going to the connector which was easily repairable and had not hit the main wire coming from the car. I had to remove the Eagle Eyes and revert to my old headlights :( . Anyway I think those are repairable but I have had a look at it yet.
When I saw a rat sitting on the engine of my car when I opened the bonnet. It was a bold chap as it did not budge even by the mere noise of the bonnet opening. I had to poke it with a stick and then it ran away. I saw the same rat dead in the following two days. Maybe it was just frustrated with life and it was working out its rage and my poor car was where it did this.
I was suggested various options to repel rats but they are a rare occurence. One thing is for sure....if your parking is in an uncluttered space it will be most helpful as rats tend to love clutter and dirt piles and garbage. I rather park diligently and keep the surrounds of the regular parking clean rather than end up spraying stuff around my car.
On a lighter note a devil's alternative is to have a pet "rat" snake and have it patrol the car.
Old 18th May 2015, 14:33   #1042
Senior - BHPian

Spraying the underbody of the car with diesel and then a pressure wash has been effective. It has been several months now, no one has got into the bay.
No other techniques used in parallel.
Old 19th May 2015, 18:45   #1043
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, I got down to doing a bit of rodent proofing today. Took off the cam cover (plastic) washed it down water to loosen up and hopefully wash away as much as possible. For the stubborn stuff I washed the bay with water and soap.

Now I read someplace that rodents don't like the smell mint and eucalyptus, so a few drops of each concentrate was added to a garden sprayer 1/4 full of water and sprayed the entire engine bay with the solution.

To top it off I went to the nearest paan shop and bought a bunch of "Gai chaap" chewing tobacco. The pan wala very helpfully gave me 4 packets of chunna (lime) but when told the purpose he had a broad grin on his face.

These tobacco packets were partially opened and kept in 4 different corners under the hood.

Now, after all this, the musky smell of rodent waste hasn't vanished but its better. May add naphthalene/moth balls as well.

These creatures, including the feline, like to visit the car at night. Now fingers crossed. I will check tomorrow.
Old 19th May 2015, 19:07   #1044
BHPian

Try using naphthalene balls in the engine bay. I put a few of them in an old socks and have tied it inside the engine bay (a couple of places). I used to have this rat menace, but seems like this is keeping the rats away at the moment.
Old 19th May 2015, 19:43   #1045
Distinguished - BHPian

Let's see if today's humble efforts bear any fruit.

I am planning to add moth balls to the list of repellents eventually Thanks for the tip about using old socks. That should be perfect.
Old 20th May 2015, 14:19   #1046
Distinguished - BHPian

You have made your car chew tobacco. This is like getting children to smoke! Irresponsible man!

But seriously, I hope you are successful.
Old 20th May 2015, 16:35   #1047
Senior - BHPian

I have this particular rat problem which happens to only my car in the building .

I have two parking lots and I prefer parking in the lot that is covered which is the one that has rat menace. Due to this most of the days I end up parking in the parking lot that has a leaky shade, but no rat problem.

Rat poison and naphthalene balls helped for a while . Few days back I parked the car in the old lot after weeks together and the next morning I noticed traces of rat entering the engine bay. This has been happening on and off and I guess I am lucky that they haven't destroyed anything yet. The weird part being, they enter only my car out of the three parked in the same row.

The car not being used much also helps them. It is back to naphthalene balls for now.
Old 20th May 2015, 20:01   #1048
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
You have made your car chew tobacco. This is like getting children to smoke! Irresponsible man!

But seriously, I hope you are successful.
as an ex smoker, I know how addictive tobacco can be. Maybe rodents are smarter than us humans. They keep away from the stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
I have this particular rat problem which happens to only my car in the building .
Same here. It's only one of my cars that they love to, well, stomp around in. The other car as well as my neighbors' vehicles are pretty much ignored. No idea why.
Old 22nd May 2015, 19:48   #1049
Distinguished - BHPian

An update - None of these remedies seem to work on the little shrew. It continues messing my car. Will try naphthalene balls and if that doesn't work it's going to have to be more severe action. The only good thing is this shrew keeps mice and rats away. I read shrews prey on smaller/baby mice and rats.
Old 22nd May 2015, 20:09   #1050
BHPian

Red Hit insecticide spray helps keeping the rats away. Spray inside of the engine bay, repeat every 2-3 days.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks