Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2015, 17:55   #1081
Senior - BHPian

re: Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Mate, I faced the issue of rat biting my car's spark plug cable on 2 occasions. The simplest way to ward off the rat was to place tobacco leaves (called poghai illai in Tamil) inside the car bonnet at about 4-5 places.
The stench from the tobacco leaves was sufficient enough to ward off rats.
I don't know where you are getting your tobacco from, but I have tried tobacco from Maharashtra and Gujarat. Makes zero difference to the rat/ muskrat.
Tried cow's urine. No difference.
Tried phenol - No difference.
Naphthalene balls - No difference.
S_U_N is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2015, 20:09   #1082
BHPian

Hi all,

I tried tobacco leaves and it was of no use, later I ordered the following repellent from Autotrends, which was a bit costly affair, but still ordered and later sprayed it sparingly on many spots under the hood, though they asked to spray fully to make a coating which I dint do. Along with the spray, I placed many Naphthalene balls too at many places (which I used to remove before I take my car out, and I use my car only on weekends so this wont be an issue)

Surprisingly from the next day I haven't seen any fresh rat poops under the bonnet, which I used to clean every day and every other day Rats contributed fresh ones. I believe rats dislike the smell because I still see rats roaming around my car and getting under the bonnet of other cars in the parking area.

Give it a try once and please post the responses here, so that I can also be sure that the repellent is working in actual

SWE Rat Repellent

https://paytm.com/shop/p/swe-rat-rep...WpAaAqST8P8HAQ
Bibin is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th October 2015, 16:56   #1083
BHPian

I knew about tobacco leaves, but was a bit sceptic about using them. mainly because of placement near to the Engines where high heat is being generated and 2nd thing being light in weight it MIGHT come in the way of air filter while air is being sucked in.

Moreover knowing how Skoda service centers are, they might blame anything on the Tobacco leaves. I have ordered a can of SWE Repellent spray, if that doesn't work my next option is to get this high frequency repellent and try.
Old 27th October 2015, 17:46   #1084
BHPian

You can avoid the mess caused by loose tobacco leaves if you buy a few of those pouches available at corner stores that sell cigarettes and sweets and stuff.
What I do is prick some (many actually) holes in them with a pin, tie a string around them and tie the string to 3 or 4 places in the engine compartment, away from moving or hot components. A long string that allows a pouch to be lowered near the wheel would dissuade the rats from jumping up in the first place.
My neighbour and I have been using these pouches for years, after finding rat droppings in our cars and have not had any problems since we started.
Replace the pouches every few months and I think the rats will stay away!
FarPatel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2015, 11:54   #1085
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibin View Post
Hi all,

I tried tobacco leaves and it was of no use, later I ordered the following repellent from Autotrends, which was a bit costly affair, but still ordered and later sprayed it sparingly on many spots under the hood, though they asked to spray fully to make a coating which I dint do. Along with the spray, I placed many Naphthalene balls too at many places (which I used to remove before I take my car out, and I use my car only on weekends so this wont be an issue)

Surprisingly from the next day I haven't seen any fresh rat poops under the bonnet, which I used to clean every day and every other day Rats contributed fresh ones. I believe rats dislike the smell because I still see rats roaming around my car and getting under the bonnet of other cars in the parking area.

Give it a try once and please post the responses here, so that I can also be sure that the repellent is working in actual

SWE Rat Repellent

https://paytm.com/shop/p/swe-rat-rep...WpAaAqST8P8HAQ

I am using the same. Bought it online from another website.
It is a very effective product. Highly recommended.
sidzz is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2015, 07:15   #1086
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr_007 View Post
I knew about tobacco leaves, but was a bit sceptic about using them. mainly because of placement near to the Engines where high heat is being generated and 2nd thing being light in weight it MIGHT come in the way of air filter while air is being sucked in.

Moreover knowing how Skoda service centers are, they might blame anything on the Tobacco leaves. I have ordered a can of SWE Repellent spray, if that doesn't work my next option is to get this high frequency repellent and try.
Hi PR_007, SIDZZ,
Any update on the effectiveness of SWE rat repellent? Thanks in advance..!

Last edited by carrerastrax : 22nd November 2015 at 07:19.
Old 22nd November 2015, 14:07   #1087
BHPian

Yeah carrerastrax. All good till date. No more Rat poops under the hood. Highly recommended on the basis of the experience as on date.
Bibin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2015, 12:51   #1088
BHPian

Last week I had an alarm which said Engine Management Error in my Vento.

Remember, Chennai had excessive rains for the past 2 weeks. I did drive through rain, but never through stagnant water.

My initial thoughts were that water would have got into the circuit and if it is dried, the alarm would go off. So, I stopped using the car for nearly 3 days and used my motorcycle for office commute.

Saturday, went to the service center and when the SA opened the bonnet, saw this!!

Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-img_20151121_093644159_hdr.jpg

We found cable cuts, which were corrected and the alarm is no more there.

Having a good parking space for the car both at home and office, rat bite never occurred to my mind. Present Vento and my earlier Wagon-R has been parking in the same location for nearly 6 years and I never faced a rat bite.

Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-img_20151121_093647978.jpg

As a first step, I have placed country tobacco at 2 places in the engine bay and now I'm looking for a good repellent.

Another issue is the damage to the cladding. VW estimate to change the cladding is ~Rs.10,000/-. I will be looking for a FNG to fix this cladding. (The SA removed the chewed-off cladding material and placed on the engine for the picture)

Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-img_20151121_093636201_hdr.jpg

Questions:

1. How effective is SWE Rat Repellant?

2. How long can I survive with country tobacco?

3. Any suggestions in Chennai where I can change the cladding?
Srikanthan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2015, 13:41   #1089
BHPian

For me its always a local Indian detergent soaps that has worked.
Unfortunately tobacco leaves/Rat repellant sprays never worked for me.
Old 23rd November 2015, 14:58   #1090
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srikanthan View Post
... ... ...

Saturday, went to the service center and when the SA opened the bonnet, saw this!!
That is terrible!

I hope there are no rats still hiding inside what looks like a major rat-home building exercise.
Old 23rd November 2015, 15:40   #1091
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srikanthan View Post
Last week I had an alarm which said Engine Management Error in my Vento.

From my personal experience, tobacco leaves are of no use and I don't find any effect of it when used and post which i tried SWE and as I reverted on my previous reply, I'm ok with the product till date and I'm not seeing any traces of Rats under hood

Last edited by bblost : 23rd November 2015 at 15:41. Reason: Reduced the length of quoted post. Thanks.
Old 24th November 2015, 11:13   #1092
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
That is terrible!

I hope there are no rats still hiding inside what looks like a major rat-home building exercise.
Thankfully no. I opened the bonnet this morning and there was no further damage.

I'm worried about the incessant rain in Chennai which causes rodents to come out of their homes and find alternate hiding places.

Nevertheless, I have ordered SWE rat repellent and waiting for its delivery.

http://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B018...ilpage_o00_s00

Let me share its result later.
Old 24th November 2015, 11:20   #1093
BHPian

Using tobacco was never effective for me.
I have an outside parking, brown soil below. Some trees and bushes around.

I have been using the SWE Rat Repellent, bought off Snapdeal. Has been effective till date. Though the product mentions it needs to sprayed once in 6 months or so. I feel due to the outside parking area (or any other factor) the effect goes away in a month. I see rat droppings in the engine bay after a month of spraying every time. Off late i have been checking the engine bay every alternate day.

Thankfully, there has been no damage after i started using SWE rap repellent spray. I would definitely recommend fellow BHPians to try this product.

PS: I am not involved with the company manufacturing SWE or Snapdeal in any way. I am just a satisfied customer.
sidzz is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th November 2015, 11:46   #1094
Senior - BHPian

Get cats. No, not here to Joke. My father fed two cats during rainy days last year. They are staying in our house as full time relatives(not guests). He has already reported over a dozen rats, mice and even 2-3 bandicoots.

There is nothing better than cats and they love the warmth of that engine as well.
Old 24th November 2015, 12:01   #1095
BHPian

PS: I am not involved with the company manufacturing SWE or Snapdeal in any way. I am just a satisfied customer. [/quote]

Yeah same applies for me too, even I' m not a person related to SWE or Snapdeal in any manner!!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks