Team-BHP - Indica cooling issue....
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   Indica cooling issue.... (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/27389-indica-cooling-issue.html)

Hi all, my car, Indica 2001 was getting too hot when the fault was detected to a faulty fan motor. I replaced it and all was fine. After 3 days, the fan would start automatically once I switch on the ignition (even after 8 hrs of parking). I changed the thermostat, now the fan doesn’t start on the switching on the ignition, but once car reaches marginally above the COLD mark, it starts.

Last night again I changed the thermostat but no use. Problem remains the same. :Frustrati

I read somewhere that car needs optimal temperature to run and if that’s not achieved FE increases substantially. This is the exact case, my FE has reduced to half.

Any inputs please!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by panky12345 (Post 528096)
I read somewhere that car needs optimal temperature to run and if that’s not achieved FE increases substantially. This is the exact case, my FE has reduced to half.

I'm sorry it decreases substantially!

Did you replace your thermostat with the same model and make??

Usually increase in temperature causes decrease in mileage...if engine is being cold it shouldn't be too much of a issue. You said the fan starts just after the cold mark... and does it stay there as you drive?

Also are you observing this with or without Aircon?

yes, both the thermostats from MINDA specifically for Indica

As you drive on? Does the temp remain constant well below the half mark?As you said the Fan comes up as soon as the needle sees the 'C' mark?

get the complete wiring for this checked, this is on the same circuit as the AC compressor and so it tends to malfunction. I had the same problem on my indca, it's fixed now. the replays in indica are of poor quality and hence this problem, need to use a lot of insulation tape on some wires. and see if any of them are touching each other.
it should be fixed easily....

the temp remains more or less on COOL only; never goes up, in case it goes marginally, the fan goes ON....do you suggest changing relay?

Which wiring exactly to get checked??

check if there is any loose contact at the base of the reply... it may be due to this. As I mentioned earlier I had the fan coming on at very low temperature, also my fan use to remain on even after the key was removed after switching the engine off, Than I found out that the relays where creating this problem, even the Tata service station could not solve the problem [ they changed the relays four times], One fine day I was fiddling around the engine Bay and found out this.
So please check this.

There is a black box on the right hand side when you open the hood,if you do not find it, than turn your engine on and ask some one to switch the ac ON this will give out a click sound of the relay [easiest way to find the relay box]...

thanx dinar..... I'll do it today only, actually speaking my mechanic also changed the relay at the first instance... but no use, i'll thoroughly check for any loose connections.

my indica had this problem and one mechanic told me that indica fan starts only when the engine heats to some temp..(ie. not started immediately)..
and the fan makes so much of noise that u can identify its running even when sitting inside the car.. :D

what i did was.. i sold it after some time..

Whisper to the car one of your Akbar waale jokes and everything shall be alright..

Quote:

Originally Posted by panky12345 (Post 528277)
yes, both the thermostats from MINDA specifically for Indica

wonder: I whispered akbar wala joke and it worked. (kidding)

The fault was detected to the faulty "switch" that indicates the temperature.

I have an Indica of 2001 model only. It started over heating since yesterday. I gave it to the local mechanic Thinking it could be related to some small wiring or fuse issue. He just called me to inform the motor is burnt and I need to relplace the entire Fan with motor and it would cost me 6500.00.. He can replace motor only it would cost 4200. But he suggests that I replace motor and fan together.

So, I am not sure whether, what he is saying is correct.

1. Can anyone confirm that it is good to change both?
2. Can anyone let me know the charges? Panky12345 how much you paid for the repairs?
3. Which company's Fan and motor I should buy?

Thanks

KVS

KVS:

1. If the fan is OK, you can opt for changing motor only; but be sure that you check the motor first before actually replacing it by connecting it directly to any battery in order to avoid being cheated by the mechanic, sometimes the problem is only with the main fuse and mechanic tend to earn money by cheating.

2. i paid app 2250 for the motor replacement + 150 labour.

3. There are 2 motor assemblies (by different names - Behr and one other); it depends upon your car what is already installed and you need to change with that specific brand ONLY. alternate would not fit/have compatibility issues.