Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2007, 07:57   #1
BANNED

Which oil for diesel Skoda Laura?

Hi Guys,

I'm new here and tried a search but could not find any info. Any idea what engine oil I should use for my Skoda Laura?

If I am just topping up can I use something different from what was originally filled at the last service? I dont know what was filled at the last service.

How often should this car have an oil change? The level has dropped to min after a few 1000 km after the last service - should I just top it up?

Thanks,

Regards,

Deepak
Old 13th August 2007, 11:17   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

My suggestion would be to visit the service shop and check why the level dropped so fast. These oils are expensive so worth correcting the problem instead of topping up anytime it goes low. Do you see any oil leak patches on the floor where you park you car?

I think the service center people use Mobil1 brand. But when I open the bonnet, I see Shell sticker on the front steel frame. I guess both Mobil1 and Shell brands should be OK. Here is a link you can use:
What oils meets specs VW 504 00 / 507 00? - BRISKODA - The Skoda Forum and Community
(Btw, the above forum and VWvortex Forums: Main are good places for Skoda related info)

The owners manual will tell you the oil specification. My vehicle has not gone for the first service also so I don't have any first hand information. Maybe others can help - but I still suggest you take it to the service center, observe what they use and can DIY later on.
Old 13th August 2007, 11:25   #3
Team-BHP Support

Careful here guys. The VW PD engine is very fussy about oil. Use the wrong grade/specs and you will be looking at expensive long term issues. Not all synthetic oils meet the VW 505.01 specifications, so be very picky when it comes to oils.

DO NOT USE OIL WHICH DOES NOT MEET VW 505.01 specifications OR YOUR ENGINE WILL SUFFER!

You have been warned.
Old 13th August 2007, 12:40   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech View Post
Careful here guys. The VW PD engine is very fussy about oil. Use the wrong grade/specs and you will be looking at expensive long term issues. Not all synthetic oils meet the VW 505.01 specifications, so be very picky when it comes to oils.

DO NOT USE OIL WHICH DOES NOT MEET VW 505.01 specifications OR YOUR ENGINE WILL SUFFER!

You have been warned.
Isnt Mobil1 by far the safest and Best oil to use in any of these cars Robin?
Old 13th August 2007, 12:47   #5
Team-BHP Support

Mobil1 itself is a brand that encompasses a variety of different oils with different grades and standards. Not all Mobil1 oils meet the required VW 505.01 standard. It will be marked on the oil can itself if it meets those standards.
Old 13th August 2007, 12:52   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech View Post
Mobil1 itself is a brand that encompasses a variety of different oils with different grades and standards. Not all Mobil1 oils meet the required VW 505.01 standard. It will be marked on the oil can itself if it meets those standards.
shall appreciate a little education on the grades of Mobil1 available in India, along with your recommendations on their use!!
Since I have been simply calling for Mobil1 for all my cars oil changes!!
Old 13th August 2007, 13:04   #7
Team-BHP Support

Glad to help any time. We've also talked about this in some detail on this thread: Article: Synthetic vs Mineral oils (ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil)
Old 13th August 2007, 15:52   #8
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
My suggestion would be to visit the service shop and check why the level dropped so fast. These oils are expensive so worth correcting the problem instead of topping up anytime it goes low. Do you see any oil leak patches on the floor where you park you car?

I think the service center people use Mobil1 brand. But when I open the bonnet, I see Shell sticker on the front steel frame. I guess both Mobil1 and Shell brands should be OK. Here is a link you can use:
What oils meets specs VW 504 00 / 507 00? - BRISKODA - The Skoda Forum and Community
(Btw, the above forum and VWvortex Forums: Main are good places for Skoda related info)

The owners manual will tell you the oil specification. My vehicle has not gone for the first service also so I don't have any first hand information. Maybe others can help - but I still suggest you take it to the service center, observe what they use and can DIY later on.
Thanks for the info. I am taking it to the sevice guys tomorrow and will check what they suggest.

No obvious leaks however are visible - maybe the last fill was not till the top?
Old 13th August 2007, 16:26   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakvrao View Post
maybe the last fill was not till the top?
I would not be surprised. It helps to be suspecious/paraniod - a lesson I learned the very hard way! :-) The following thread should be interesting:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...il-change.html

Btw, how did you come to know that oil level is low? Did the car inform/warn you? Or you have a habit of checking it regularly?
Old 13th August 2007, 20:04   #10
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
I would not be surprised. It helps to be suspecious/paraniod - a lesson I learned the very hard way! :-) The following thread should be interesting:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...il-change.html

Btw, how did you come to know that oil level is low? Did the car inform/warn you? Or you have a habit of checking it regularly?
Hi,

Actually I got this car used - 1 year old so I checked the oil myself.

What I am surprised about is that their manual says that it may consume as much as 500ml evry 1000km. My Scorpio and Innova never consumed oil. I never needed to "top up" - just the routine oil changes were required.
Old 16th August 2007, 23:04   #11
BANNED

Skoda guys told me that they use Synthetic Oil, mostly Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40.
Old 17th August 2007, 16:43   #12
Senior - BHPian

This consumption means that by the time you run 5000 Kms it would have consumed 2.5 ltrs of oil. That is a very very high figure. In all my years of driving and tinkering with the powerplants, I've not come across such high rate of oil consumption.

My '73 Amby that had done over 3L kms by 1990 and was badly in need of an engine overhaul, consumed 1/2 a ltr of engine oil after every 4000 Kms.

My subsequent vehicles - M800DX, Gypsy, M1000, Esteem and the current Safari & Scorpio never had oild consumption problems. Actually I used to hardly check engine oil level in these cars unlike in my amby which I used to check every week regularly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakvrao View Post
Hi,

Actually I got this car used - 1 year old so I checked the oil myself.

What I am surprised about is that their manual says that it may consume as much as 500ml evry 1000km. My Scorpio and Innova never consumed oil. I never needed to "top up" - just the routine oil changes were required.
Old 17th August 2007, 16:46   #13
Team-BHP Support

Read that again. Its standard "cover your arse" stuff form manufacturers. It says it MAY consume a maximum of 500ml. They are erring on the safe side to get owners to keep a check on the oil and avoid a possible lawsuit. I've never come across any car that consumes that much oil!
Old 19th November 2009, 21:02   #14

Hey Guys,

was wondering if any of you have any feedback for Castrol Edge and how does it compare to Mobil1, also what should be the ideal viscosity for the Skoda Octavia 1.9Tdi

any help will be appreciated,

- new bhpian
Old 19th November 2009, 21:25   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Consult your owners manual for which Viscosity to use for your Octy.

Last edited by .anshuman : 19th November 2009 at 21:26.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks