Team-BHP - Low volume high pitched squealing noise in Siena 1.6
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   Low volume high pitched squealing noise in Siena 1.6 (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/27711-low-volume-high-pitched-squealing-noise-siena-1-6-a.html)

Hi guys,

For the past 2 weeks, I am getting a low volume squeal noise (sounds like whistling) which comes from the car engine side. This noise comes only in the morning first drive and does not appear during the other times of the day. It does not come when the engine is idle. Characteristics of the noise are:

1. Noise comes during the complete morning first drive - around 7 minutes. Am not sure if the noise will come if I drive for more time though
2. Noise comes only when the car is in a gear and moving. The noise is like a high pitch whistle (very low volume) when giving throttle above 1500 RPM. Noise dies away like kkaakkkaaaarrrrrr sound when the engine moves from higher RPM to lower RPM when throttle is not given after inducing the noise.
3. Noise comes probably after revving the engine to 1500 RPM and above, when the car is put in gear. Below 1500 RPM, the noise is not audible
4. Pitch and volume of noise seems to be function of the throttle/RPM
5. I am getting this issue only after the 30000 KM service done recently

When I explained this issue to the RAC mechanic, he told me that the issue is because of hardened belt and he lubricated it. I did not get the noise for a couple of days after lubrication, but started getting it again. The mechanic also suggested to replace the belt during the next service, which is around 5 months away. Please let me know if this is safe enough.

Thanks & Regards,
Karthik.

I guess you have a Siena 1.6 which is nearing 40 - 50k kms? If that is the case then without hesitation change your timing belt. That is the only cause of this problem. And this is the scheduled change interval too. If you ignore it then future damages can be heavy.

Do you park in the open? But no that won't affect the belt since it has a protective enclosure to it. It used to affect my zen. Direct sunlight on the bonnet would dry the belt leading to squeals.

Thanks for the suggestion MF. I was thinking that I need to replace the drive belt - btw, i am not sure how the drive belt is different from timing belt ... I am not technically sound with cars

The car is close to 30000 km and itz more than 4 yrs old now. I do leave my car in uncovered parking area during the weekdays at my workplace (Texas Instruments). Another dumb question - is there a possibility for the Sundaram mechanic to have not fit the belt properly during the 30k service recently, which RAC mechanic is not sensing

- Karthik.

Get it thoroughly checked bcoz I use to get similar noise and my local mechanic Fixed some silencer part which use to vibrate making that kind of weird noise. Hardly spend 20Rs on that ;)