Team-BHP - Worth doing up my Lancer?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   Worth doing up my Lancer? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/27782-worth-doing-up-my-lancer.html)

Hi Guys,

I have a 98 Lancer in very good condition - very few scratches, one small dent which can be tinkered, good suspension, etc.

Its done 60K km and though the brake pads were changed at 50K the braking is not sharp. What could the problem be?

Now its time for a tyre change and I am undecided between doing it up or selling it and getting the new Fabia [if its an auto transmission]. I however like the size of the Lancer interiors but don't want to spend so much on a large car upgrade [though the Fabia may very well cost that much].

Do you think that its practical to keep a Lancer for another 3-4 years? Would parts still be available?

My choices are to upgrade the Lancer OR to keep that money and keep upgrading my other car [currently a Laura], maybe after 2 years or so. In the olden days people kept the Ambys and Fiats for 15 yrs plus so I sometimes think why not keep the Lancer for another 4-5 years? Am I completely crazy to think along these lines? People abroad drive more than 2 lakh km in these cars. My BIL drove a Subaru for 300K MILES before junking it. If I dont spend on the Lancer upgrade I'll ave more bread for my main car upgrade when the time comes.

So keep and redo or sell and buy a new car?

I'm a little biased towards Lancers, so I would say yes, it is worth it doing her up. But yours is nearly a 10 year old car, so you may have reliability issues down the line (unless you overhaul most of the components). 60K kms is not that much, however... so you gotta take that call.

Meanwhile, maybe this could serve as some inspiration: :)
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...t-phoenix.html

You can also check out the official modded Lancer thread:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...cs-thread.html

According to me you can easily keep the car for 3 years..
What i feel that in almost 10 years you have driven 60 k..so keping the same average i feel for car to travel 120000 it would easily take 3 years...
The car would not ask for much except regular service.The car would not give you trouble and regarding spare's they would be easily avalible as Mitsubishi hav aggresive plan in india may be we all would see some major changes in next one years.

Quote:

Originally Posted by deepakvrao (Post 537261)
I however like the size of the Lancer interiors but don't want to spend so much on a large car upgrade [though the Fabia may very well cost that much].
My choices are to upgrade the Lancer OR to keep that money and keep upgrading my other car [currently a Laura]

Seems to me you are considering 2 options for the second car.
A. Keep Lancer and upgrade it. (2L max for an overhaul ??)
B. Sell Lancer and buy Fabia (New Fabia = 8L OTR ??)

Purely from a financial POV, I don't see how this ...
Quote:

If I dont spend on the Lancer upgrade I'll ave more bread for my main car upgrade when the time comes.
... is possible. Unless you introduce a 3rd option.

C. Keep Lancer as it is. Don't buy Fabia either.

Quote:

Do you think that its practical to keep a Lancer for another 3-4 years? Would parts still be available?
This should not be a problem. The car is still in production.

Keep the Lancer, it's one of the most beautiful cars on the road today.
You'll have to replace tyres, suspension overhaul, timing belts maybe, but that's it for the next 40,000 km. At your rate of usage, that's another six years!

Quote:

Purely from a financial POV, I don't see how this ... Quote:
If I dont spend on the Lancer upgrade I'll ave more bread for my main car upgrade when the time comes.
... is possible. Unless you introduce a 3rd option.
If I spend say 1 lakh on my lancer rather than 6L [I may get 2 L if I sell my Lancer], for a Fabia, then I can keep that 5L towards the Laura upgrade when the time comes.

Thanks for the opinions. Seems that I may just keep the Lancer if parts are not going to be a problem.

Razor, Anupam,

Thanks for the inputs. In fact though I have done 60K in 9 years my average yearly use is now about 4000km so I feel that this car can serve me well for a few years more but then the itch to get something new crops up and I will regret having spent on this car. Thats my problem.

I think the fabia will be initially coming in a hatchback avatar rather than a sedan.Correct me if i am wrong.
So it's better that you keep the lancer and modify it.According to me the lancer looks better than any other car in india when modified.

Quote:

Originally Posted by deepakvrao (Post 537565)
so I feel that this car can serve me well for a few years more but then the itch to get something new crops up and I will regret having spent on this car. Thats my problem.

Aha - now doesn't this happen to most of us :) ?

If you are aware of this itch within you, then I'd suggest not spending on the Lancer. 'Coz even after you do, the itch will still remain, what with so many new cars to hit the market in the next few years.

I think you'll be most satisfied if you keep the Lancer now, don't spend on it, and use it till the launch of a new car that would satisfy the itch.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ATRONIX (Post 537594)
I think the fabia will be initially coming in a hatchback avatar rather than a sedan.Correct me if i am wrong.
So it's better that you keep the lancer and modify it.According to me the lancer looks better than any other car in india when modified.

Hatch is fine with me as long as it is loaded and is an AT. I would love a small car with big features. Not that I dont LOVE the Lancer and therein lies the problem ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by shuvc (Post 537780)
Aha - now doesn't this happen to most of us :) ?

If you are aware of this itch within you, then I'd suggest not spending on the Lancer. 'Coz even after you do, the itch will still remain, what with so many new cars to hit the market in the next few years.

I think you'll be most satisfied if you keep the Lancer now, don't spend on it, and use it till the launch of a new car that would satisfy the itch.

Probably the right advise. Thanks for the inputs.