Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2024, 22:15   #1
BHPian

Engine failure in my diesel Tucson | EDIT: Now Resolved

The various issues with the Tucson after the catalytic converter replacement at 21k kms, as previously discussed, seem to persist even after the vehicle has covered over 51k Kms since its purchase in January 2021. Such experiences coming from a reputable brand like Hyundai with their flagship product have led me to conclude that Hyundai technicians are not competent in diagnosing their CKD products, nor do they keep adequate spare parts in case of malfunctions.

Going back to November 2023, the vehicle underwent its 6th service, which went smoothly. All general check-ups were conducted, including changing the Oil Filter, Air Filter, and Engine Oil replacement, at a reasonable cost of around 8,000 INR. During the service, the Service Advisor noted a peculiar issue though. After reviewing previous service records, it was discovered that during the 4th service, only 5.5L of Engine Oil were poured instead of the required 7.7L for the diesel variant. I didn’t budge much as the vehicle was functioning normally after the 6th service. After a little bit of research, I could find out that the 2.0L petrol engine of the Tucson requires only 5.5L of engine oil, while the diesel engine requires 7.7L of Engine Oil. It appeared that during the 4th service, Hyundai technicians mistakenly presumed the vehicle to be a petrol variant and added petrol engine oil in our diesel Tucson. This highlights the lack of familiarity among Hyundai technicians in servicing the Tucson, which signifies their inadequate training for handling CKD products.

On 3rd December 2023, after driving approximately 200 kms post service, the "Check Engine" light illuminated on the instrument cluster. Since I was often away from home due to work, I instructed my mother, the primary user of the vehicle, to take it to the Hyundai Authorized Service Center, Adabari, Guwahati. The vehicle was taken for diagnosis on December 4th, and I remained connected with the Service Advisor via WhatsApp/call throughout the process. After conducting a test drive, the service team claimed to find no issues with the vehicle and later cleared the error codes using their OBD scanner. However, this left me doubtful of the thoroughness of their inspection as they did not even bother to check the engine or any noise coming from the vehicle. Despite this, the vehicle continued to operate normally for the next 500 kms.

However, on 28th December 2023, the check engine light reappeared, which led to an immediate visit to HASS, Adabari, Guwahati for a thorough diagnosis. Initially, technicians refrained from using OBD and instead opted for a test drive with our chauffeur. Approximately 10 kms into the drive, smoke began emanating from under the hood, and the vehicle lost power before coming to a complete halt, leaving it stranded in the middle of the road. Upon inspection, it was discovered that the tappet cover was broken, resulting in engine oil spillage in the engine bay.

Smoke Emitting from the engine during the Trial run by Hyundai Technicians
Engine failure in my diesel Tucson | EDIT: Now Resolved-smoke-emiting-vehicle.jpg

The vehicle was towed back to the Hyundai workshop, where it remained unattended for three days due to New Year celebrations, causing considerable anxiety in me as I used to pamper the vehicle a lot. On 6th January 2024, eventually a technician diagnosed the issue, revealing that loosely mounted injectors had caused all four head gaskets to blow which led to breakage of the tappet cover breakage. I was also told that the head gaskets and the tappet cover needed to be replaced. Therefore, an Extensive repair work was required which included opening the engine head. However, I was assured that the engine will be fitted to factory finish after the work was completed.

Engine Head Opening in Progress
Engine failure in my diesel Tucson | EDIT: Now Resolved-engine-head-opening-progress.jpeg

Broken Engine Tappet Cover
Engine failure in my diesel Tucson | EDIT: Now Resolved-engine-broken-tappet-cover.jpeg

A very Sad sight of vehicle gathering dust inside the workshop with Mirrors kept open. They didnt even bother to keep the interior dust free
Engine failure in my diesel Tucson | EDIT: Now Resolved-gathering-dust-lying-unattended.jpeg

Engine failure in my diesel Tucson | EDIT: Now Resolved-vehicle-accumulating-dust.jpeg

Bumper thrown away without any proper handling, i have spotted scratch in bumper as well
Engine failure in my diesel Tucson | EDIT: Now Resolved-bumper.jpeg

A Layer of dust accumulated on the bonnet
Engine failure in my diesel Tucson | EDIT: Now Resolved-whatsapp-image-20240313-9.48.08-pm.jpeg

In the meantime, an i20 Nline DCT was provided as a loaner car until repairs were completed. However, the required parts were not readily available at the service centre, because as per Hyundai, they are uncommon failures, therefore needed to be shipped from South Korea resulting in a 20-day wait time. Orders for the head gasket and blown tappet cover were subsequently placed on January 7th, with assurances of updates on the shipment's status.
After the parts finally arrived, I was notified via WhatsApp, and BHPian ChiranjitP and I took the vehicle on a trial run on 28th January 2024 along with Hyundai Technician. During this test drive, a noticeable abnormal noise at higher RPMs was observed, which was acknowledged by the accompanying Hyundai technician. Therefore, I declined to take delivery until the noise issue was addressed.

The vehicle underwent further diagnosis until they found that the turbo charger needed to be changed which again was assured to be covered under warranty. This diagnosis process took another 7 days until I was notified of the failed turbo charger. Despite the subsequent replacement of the turbocharger under warranty, which took another 20 days for parts to arrive from South Korea, the abnormal noise persists. The service team is still unable to provide a definitive timeline for resolving this persistent issue. It has now been nearly three months since the car entered the workshop for repairs, leaving a bitter taste with the brand, particularly considering their reputation for reliability, at least in India.

For anyone considering purchasing CKD products like the Tucson, Kona, or Ioniq, I strongly advise against it. Hyundai technicians lack familiarity with these products, and spare parts for replacements are often unavailable. There are undoubtedly better alternatives to these so-called premium Hyundai products. I have left with no choice but to sell off this vehicle just 3 years after the purchase as soon as it is repaired.

Request your opinion if I should keep the vehicle or sell it as this vehicle is mostly used in inter-state travel and any breakdown in middle of nowhere might lend me and my beloved ones in trouble.

Mod Note:
The problem was not because of wrong engine oil being filled. Clarifications provided by author in Post #36

Last edited by graaja : 25th April 2024 at 20:17. Reason: Adding note about the problem not being due to wrong engine oil
LONG_TOURER is online now   (91) Thanks
Old 14th March 2024, 09:59   #2
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Tucson GLS 2WD CRDi Ownership Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONG_TOURER View Post
it was discovered that during the 4th service, only 5.5L of Engine Oil were poured instead of the required 7.7L for the diesel variant.

2.0L petrol engine of the Tucson requires only 5.5L of engine oil, while the diesel engine requires 7.7L of Engine Oil. It appeared that during the 4th service, Hyundai technicians mistakenly presumed the vehicle to be a petrol variant and added petrol engine oil in our diesel Tucson.
I'm surprised as to why the service center is silent on the above point. Can't this be the single reason for all present problems ? .
maheshm619 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 14th March 2024, 10:10   #3
BHPian

I suggest you sell the vehicle and move on, as it seems the service centre has tampered with it. Based on the current situation, I have a feeling that the problem may arise again in the future. However, the good news is that everything is covered by warranty, otherwise it would have been double trouble for you.
vattyboy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th March 2024, 10:13   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Request your opinion if I should keep the vehicle or sell it as this vehicle is mostly used in inter-state travel and any breakdown in middle of nowhere might lend me and my beloved ones in trouble.
Given that your Tucson is primarily stationed in Guwahati, I would suggest you to sell it. We own a humble i20 and based on my experience, Hyundai ASS in Guwahati is only good for ripping us off for bigger bills. Our car has an issue with the AC which none of the service centres could even diagnose properly. The tucson has taken you across the country but I am afraid it's time to let it go because the service centres here are simply not competant enough to deal with such a complex vehicle.
JD_404 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th March 2024, 10:47   #5
BHPian

Quote:
After reviewing previous service records, it was discovered that during the 4th service, only 5.5L of Engine Oil were poured instead of the required 7.7L for the diesel variant. I didn’t budge much as the vehicle was functioning normally after the 6th service. After a little bit of research, I could find out that the 2.0L petrol engine of the Tucson requires only 5.5L of engine oil, while the diesel engine requires 7.7L of Engine Oil. It appeared that during the 4th service, Hyundai technicians mistakenly presumed the vehicle to be a petrol variant and added petrol engine oil in our diesel Tucson. This highlights the lack of familiarity among Hyundai technicians in servicing the Tucson, which signifies their inadequate training for handling CKD products.
If you get a chance, please escalate service center incompetence to the Hyundai Territory Parts & Service Manager and Hyundai Regional Parts & Service Head by writing an email about all these issues.

In my experience, at least, Hyundai India cares about their reputation and customer experience.
silver-stand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2024, 11:10   #6
BHPian

Quote:
After reviewing previous service records, it was discovered that during the 4th service, only 5.5L of Engine Oil were poured instead of the required 7.7L for the diesel variant.
This is a massive oversight on Hyundai ASCs part. Engine oil is the singlemost important fluid in any car. Heck you can run a car without coolant and it will survive. But without adequate amount of engine oil, the engine is as good as metal scrap. I'm not sure of the tucson but in most cars MAX engine oil level - 1 litre = MIN acceptable engine oil level. In such case, the least amount of engine oil your Tucson can have is 6.7 litres. Anything below that level can seriously harm the engine mechanicals. You have been driving with dangerously low levels of engine oil for a long time. Did the instrument cluster not warn you of this?

Quote:
I didn’t budge much as the vehicle was functioning normally after the 6th service. After a little bit of research, I could find out that the 2.0L petrol engine of the Tucson requires only 5.5L of engine oil, while the diesel engine requires 7.7L of Engine Oil. It appeared that during the 4th service, Hyundai technicians mistakenly presumed the vehicle to be a petrol variant and added petrol engine oil in our diesel Tucson.
Offcourse, the engine performed normally after service. That's because low engine oil level failures are gradual and not instantaneous. I wouldn't let them(Hyundai ASS) get off lightly. This is an unacceptable oversight on their part. I would push for a total engine replacement with extended warranty covering the entire car.
You will be just facing a massive financial hit by selling the car. Instead replace the engine under warranty.
true_sedan is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 14th March 2024, 12:13   #7
Senior - BHPian

For some reason I think the wrong engine oil in the 4th service has led to all these issues. I can't believe the service center is so irresponsible or have no idea of these vehicles in the first place. Not to be negative here but I guess there might be further issues because of this basic problem. Please take everything in writing from them, if there are future failures, they won't be covered under warranty. Can't imagine a customer going through all this after spending big bucks on these cars. Please keep us posted.
Raghu M is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th March 2024, 12:44   #8

Based on my experience, Hyundai service at all the service centre in Guwahati is not upto the mark. I had a similar experience of brake booster failure in my diesel Grand i10 in 2015 which took 1 week to rectify.
In your case, since the service centre was negligent hence u should definitely ask for a total engine replacement along with 7 years of complimentary extended warranty(which they do provide for new car purchase) for an added peace of mind. I think after that u can keep the car as the engine will be brand new and the chance of engine failure will be same as that of any new car.
Sabertooth32 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2024, 12:56   #9
BHPian

The service technicians "mistakenly" putting a quantity of engine oil prescribed for a petrol-variant into your diesel vehicle amounts to a cardinal sin. This is highly unacceptable and you ought to have raised a big stink when this was brought to your notice. Kindly take this from them in writing and push for a total engine replacement along with complimentary extended warranty for your Tucson. In the meantime, this deserves to be escalated to the Hyundai India corporate team. The A.S.S. is taking you for a ride!
IamNikhil is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th March 2024, 15:25   #10

A.S.S has done a blunder by filling different oil you should loop in Hyundai India and demand extended warranty and assurance that this "Noise" issue would be fixed.

If you can put up a fight then highlighting this issue in twitter/social media would definitely add some pressure on these guys or else sell it and move on.
Bazooka1989 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2024, 16:04   #11
BHPian

Find the address of the head of services in Hyundai India & send similar details to him looping the eastern region service head, service centre group head .

Do not drop the matter till they replace every faulty part & provide additional warranty of 1 year atleast .
100BHP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th March 2024, 16:05   #12
BHPian

Hi,
You should not have given your approval to open the engine. Instead you would have requested for Fresh Engine. Because even the engine was ready running, it was not guarantee it will run for long time without issues.

Since you already have a record that they have poured different oil and less quantity. So Kindly request for a fresh engine instead reworking with the people who were not aware of the imported engines.
dmaheshkumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th March 2024, 17:53   #13
BHPian

Quote:

For anyone considering purchasing CKD products like the Tucson, Kona, or Ioniq, I strongly advise against it. Hyundai technicians lack familiarity with these products, and spare parts for replacements are often unavailable. There are undoubtedly better alternatives to these so-called premium Hyundai products. I have left with no choice but to sell off this vehicle just 3 years after the purchase as soon as it is repaired.

I sincerely empathise your situation.
But pls note that no brand is perfect including the so called "most reliable brand" Toyota. Just take a look at this https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...va-crysta.html (Niggles & issues with the Toyota Innova Crysta)
Most importantly you've mentioned about the alternatives for Tucson - which is from brands Skoda, VW, Jeep, etc. If you still think Hyundai is bad, then buying any of these brands will teach you what bad experience and unreliability is. Just look at the bad stories of these brands in this forum itself.

Regarding your issue, your situation is a one-off case and uncommon (as claimed by SC). Of course, Tucson is no ordinary car and definitely needs that extra/special expertise to service and manage which is 100% responsibility of Hyundai as well as the SC. So I strongly advise and recommend you to contact and involve Hyundai as well and give them the full story.

Selling your car for 1 bad experience will not give you what you want with any brand. Please reach out to Hyundai directly, talk to them. Probably this dealer has limited expertise to handle Tucson which is even worst/bad with other European brands in your region.
Livnletcarsliv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2024, 20:22   #14
BHPian

Sue them in court? What sense does this make? Petrol Engine Oil put in a Diesel car that costs more than 40 lakhs? SERIOUSLY?????????

Is it not easy to see what kind of service centre this is? Hyundai India should rectify the same or give you a new car! How unfair is this?
shiv11bhargava is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2024, 20:53   #15

Dear Long Tourer, I am sorry for what happened to you.

First and foremost filling wrong quantity engine oil is not at all acceptable. Filling wrong grade engine oil at the third service and repeating similar story at fourth service shows their lack luster approach in quality of service. Secondly, I find few anomlies in the photos with respect to the narration given by the Hyundai technicians. In the first photo I shall see oil spattered in the engine bay, however in the third photo there I am not able to find any cracks/holes in the tappet cover.

Loose bolt from injectors will lead to compression leakage (which is highly unlikely), oil starvation will lead to engine seizure and head gasket is a single component not four. Also low oil level should have thrown error in instrument cluster. All these things considered I am not able to find any actual cause of failure to correlate and full depth of things failed. I would be happy to help you if you could provide a bit more details about the things failed and parts changed.

I could only feel that the dealership is not equipped/trained enough to handle the vehicle or not serious enough to provide quality service. Would rightly recommend to sell the vehicle and move on with new one.

Last edited by KarthikK : 14th March 2024 at 21:10. Reason: Minor typo fix
Venkat_KM is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks