Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2017, 10:27   #46
BHPian

Zen Maintenance Manual / Tips Required

Update: Suraksha promptly replaced oil with 20w40 shell rimula r1 multi and the filter. It was sourced from outside specifically for my car as their barrels only has 4 variants (0w20, 5w30 and 2 others). After signature on satisfactory issue resolution form car was handed over.
Learning: note what oil goes into the car even if it authorized service center and insist on 20w40 for zen.
G-BoleroBoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2017, 14:32   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-BoleroBoy View Post
Update: Suraksha promptly replaced oil with 20w40 shell rimula r1 multi and the filter. It was sourced from outside specifically for my car as their barrels only has 4 variants (0w20, 5w30 and 2 others). After signature on satisfactory issue resolution form car was handed over.
Learning: note what oil goes into the car even if it authorized service center and insist on 20w40 for zen.
Shell rimula R1 multi is a diesel engine oil. Rimula series is for diesel engines
Old 15th June 2017, 07:27   #48
BHPian

Zen Maintenance Manual / Tips Required

@sagarpadaki: thank you again for the tip. I will get it changed. Could you please point me to recommended oil if I want to go for non-synthetic mineral oil for my zen?" ( 2001 mpfi model )

Last edited by G-BoleroBoy : 15th June 2017 at 07:29.
Old 15th June 2017, 08:39   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Zen Maintenance Manual / Tips Required

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-BoleroBoy View Post
@sagarpadaki: thank you again for the tip. I will get it changed. Could you please point me to recommended oil if I want to go for non-synthetic mineral oil for my zen?" ( 2001 mpfi model )
Shell HX5 15W40 is a good choice in minerals. For semi synthetic, you can have a look at Shell Helix HX7 10W40/Castrol Magnatec 10W40.

For places with not so high temperatures, you can also go with 5W30 Magnatec.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th June 2017, 09:51   #50
BHPian

Thanks Shashi. I will get the oil changed and update the forum.

Regards,
Girish
Old 15th June 2017, 14:26   #51
BHPian

As suggested getting Shell helix HX5 15w-40 put in my car.
Zen Maintenance Manual / Tips Required-imageuploadedbyteambhp1497516942.681821.jpgZen Maintenance Manual / Tips Required-imageuploadedbyteambhp1497516970.084880.jpg
Old 16th June 2017, 11:19   #52
BHPian

Thank you all for your input. Assuming this oil is fine for the car, I will stop updates on my zen for now. After the oil change, vehicle is running well. Thanks again for all your suggestions and appreciate the power of this forum.
Old 17th June 2017, 20:45   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
The distributor area in our 1.5 lakh run Zen is covered with oil. Can you please guide me as to what parts to replace to stop the oil leakage. Thanks
Hi,
This is a common problem in zen/esteem and mostly you will get answer from fng or mass as the only solution is to replace distributor assembly.
however if you have a little patience then this issue can be resolved completely.
I like to see my engine bay spic and span and it speaks volumes as to how well you maintain the car,also mechanics are more willing to work on a clean engine.
The distributor oil leak leads to a lot of debris accumulation on the gearbox and forms a thick mud like layer over time.Also the slow oil loss will gradually lead to a major leak like it happened to one of my zens leaving a oil trace everywhere it was parked.
Before you begin to get further with this repair i strongly suggest cleaning the entire area with diesel or if not too much dirt then a engine degreaser also is ok followed by a pressure wash of the are to get rid of all old oil residue.
Your next step if you do not have a timing torch would be to mark the distributor position using a permanent marker or you could take a star screwdriver and hammer a small dot,one on the distributor and the other on the part that fixes on to the engine.I have the dots marked and it easier,i once lost the permanent marking after i sprayed it with degreaser.

Next you will need the O ring that sits inside the distributor,unfortunately i have never managed to find this original o ring from maruti and have had to use the local ones which never really last more then a couple thousand kilometer's,maybe leoshashi could help us with this part number availability.

There is one more bigger O ring that sits on the part that mounts on to the engine.
What i usually do is, replace both,then apply Anabond to both mating surface and let it sit for a while and then screw them shut and i let it cure overnight.
I have found that letting it cure overnight leads to a better chance of sealing.
Do not worry about the extra sealant that appears outside once you start tightening,once dry you can take a blade and just slice the extra and it looks clean just like a proper gasket.
Usually after this process i have had a leak proof distributor for a minimum of 20k kilometers.Its quite simple just that it requires patience of about an hour thats it.

http://oriparts.com/7/87/1581/483790
in the above link part number 1,extreme left you can see a ring,this is one part that needs to be changed and the second part number is O RING, DISTRIBUTOR CASE
Part Number: 11162-71C10.

I hope this helps,
regards
Manoj.
scorpian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2017, 21:05   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpian View Post

I hope this helps,
regards
Manoj.
IIRC, this has a equivalent in MGP too, which should be readily available at MGP stores. I'll search and update by tomorrow morning.

Regards,
Shashi
Old 18th June 2017, 11:03   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpian View Post
in the above link part number 1,extreme left you can see a ring,this is one part that needs to be changed and the second part number is O RING, DISTRIBUTOR CASE

I hope this helps,
regards
Manoj.
Part NO: 11162-71C10
Name: O RING CASE
Price: Rs. 112
Old 19th June 2017, 09:23   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Part NO: 11162-71C10
Name: O RING CASE
Price: Rs. 112
This is which part in the pic posted above by scorpion?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks