Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2019, 17:50   #16
BHPian

Re: Sporadic engine misfire in my 2005 Swift petrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
After replacing the ignition coils, the air remains within the engine still continued to get out and hence, you could hear the misfire for some MORE time.

But, after all the air inside the engine is drained out, since the ignition coils were new, it did not happen again. Am I ?
My apologies but I didn't fully understand this. How are ignition coils related to air inside the engine. Can you please elaborate more?

Don't know if this would clarify anything. The engine was kept running for more than a few mins after changing the ignition coils but the misfire persisted.
Old 17th June 2019, 18:00   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftLife View Post
I went back and on the way back, the car returned back to normal. And since then, i.e. for over 6 months now, it's running fine.

Need help on what should be done now? Any ideas on what might have happened.
Looks like one of the leads had come loose and was not completing the connection properly. Just the act of removing and refitting them after checking seems to have sorted out the issue.

I would not worry about this issue too much if I were you, since the car has been running fine for the last 6 months. Relax and enjoy the drive.

Most of the things that might have caused this issue were checked correctly.

Last edited by vikram_d : 17th June 2019 at 18:01. Reason: Grammar check.
vikram_d is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2019, 08:54   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
Looks like one of the leads had come loose and was not completing the connection properly. Just the act of removing and refitting them after checking seems to have sorted out the issue.
Are you sure? Asking because, had this been the cause, when the new coils were fitted, the issue would have been resolved. But it didn't.
Then when they put the old coils back, they refit the connections properly again, still the issue persisted.

Only on my way back, the issue somehow magically disappeared in the middle of my drive. That's why I feel, a loose lead might not have been the culprit.

Yes I agree, I should not worry about it now as the car is running fine for a while now. But that lingering concerns remains. Also I am curious to know the root cause of this issue.
Old 18th June 2019, 12:20   #19
Senior - BHPian

Re: Engine misfire

There is no way to be 100% sure, but I has faced a similar issue with my own Swift and in my case it turned out to be that one of the spark plugs had conked out.
Old 9th July 2021, 15:59   #20
BHPian

Car Skipped a Beat on Acceleration

Vehicle - 2019 Honda Amaze Diesel MT.
KM's - Approx. 42,000.
Last Service - 40,000 Kms Service on 2nd June 2021 at Honda ASS.

Issue: Today on 9th July, 2021 while getting on a flyover as I accelerated, I distinctively felt the engine not responding to the accelerator Input for a second or two. I was driving in 4th Gear and RPM's were around 1500 rpm's. Immediately downshifted and now on pressing the accelerator the car immediately responded. Have not been able to replicate the issue since despite trying on all Gears and at different RPM's.

Would appreciate Input if I should get it checked out and what could be the cause (spark plug's etc.) or keep on driving for now and see if the issue is replicated, else forget about it.

Thanks
Old 9th July 2021, 16:23   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Car Skipped a Beat on Acceleration

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyushB View Post
Vehicle - 2019 Honda Amaze Diesel MT.
KM's - Approx. 42,000.
Last Service - 40,000 Kms Service on 2nd June 2021 at Honda ASS.

Issue: Today on 9th July, 2021 while getting on a flyover as I accelerated, I distinctively felt the engine not responding to the accelerator Input for a second or two. I was driving in 4th Gear and RPM's were around 1500 rpm's. Immediately downshifted and now on pressing the accelerator the car immediately responded. Have not been able to replicate the issue since despite trying on all Gears and at different RPM's.

Would appreciate Input if I should get it checked out and what could be the cause (spark plug's etc.) or keep on driving for now and see if the issue is replicated, else forget about it.

Thanks
Diesel - so no sparks

Was the diesel filter changed during the last service?
Kosfactor is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th July 2021, 16:27   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I would say, use the vehicle for some more time.
Try to narrow down the scenario in which the issue occurs.

The service guys can't diagnose the issue properly, if it cant be replicated.
Sure, they can plug in into the OBD and check for any error codes, but generally for such issues, there may not be any error code in the first place.

The problem you mentioned could appear if there is some dirt in the fuel or some blockage somewhere in the fuel lines/air flow.
abhishek46 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th July 2021, 16:30   #23
BHPian

Ahha Thanks for that Info, my first Diesel Car

Yes the Diesel Filter was replaced during the last service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
I would say, use the vehicle for some more time.
Try to narrow down the scenario in which the issue occurs.

The service guys can't diagnose the issue properly, if it cant be replicated.
Sure, they can plug in into the OBD and check for any error codes, but generally for such issues, there may not be any error code in the first place.

The problem you mentioned could appear if there is some dirt in the fuel or some blockage somewhere in the fuel lines/air flow.
Ok, Hopefully then it was just some dirt in the Fuel Line and the issue is not replicated. Thanks

Last edited by Aditya : 9th July 2021 at 21:49. Reason: Back to back posts merged
Old 9th July 2021, 16:41   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Ok, Hopefully then it was just some dirt in the Fuel Line and the issue is not replicated. Thanks
There is no such thing as a little dirt in the fuel system. The filter should trap all dirt particles. Dirt can wreck the high pressure pump in common rail systems. Could it be turbo lag
Indian2003 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th July 2021, 16:52   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian2003 View Post
There is no such thing as a little dirt in the fuel system. The filter should trap all dirt particles. Dirt can wreck the high pressure pump in common rail systems. Could it be turbo lag
Have never felt anything like this in this car before so doubt if it was turbo lag. It definitely felt like an engine misfire.
Old 9th July 2021, 16:56   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Ahha Thanks for that Info, my first Diesel Car

Yes the Diesel Filter was replaced during the last service.
Either the filter is faulty or the gasket is not sealing well introducing air into the system, try to replace it if the problem recurs followed by bleeding the fuel system.
Kosfactor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th July 2021, 17:02   #27
Senior - BHPian

Missing a beat means interrupted fuel flow for a second.

Check if the fuel filter has been replaced at correct interval. Check if this has happened after topping up from a particular pump.

Also you can try fuel additive to clean the injectors.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2021, 23:48   #28
BHPian

Ok will try out some additives. For fuel current fuel was filled at a COCO. Further have always serviced the car just before it hits the 10 K mark.

Thanks will keep it in mind if problem replicates.

Mod Note :
Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the same thread!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 10th July 2021 at 12:17. Reason: Back to back posts. Mod not inline.
Old 2nd October 2022, 15:21   #29
BHPian

Re: Engine misfire

Reposting here as I found this old thread.

I own 2018 facelift Creta petrol SX AT. It has served me very well for the past 4 years. However, yesterday a very weird incident happened (in my experience). Wife and I were heading out for some shopping and when I started the engine of the car, the whole cabin started to shake and check engine light was flashing. I immediately switched off the the engine. I opened the bonnet to check the engine bay for any visible issues. Did not see any issue. With a nervous hand I again switched on the engine. This time there were no vibrations or engine light. Turned off and on the engine a couple of time and did not face any issue. We started on road with reluctance but thankfully no issues and I am back. In fact I did another short run after that.

But I am concerned due this incident, a lot. I have had pretty much niggle free ownership so far and now there are horrors of engine issues running in my mind. Car is out of warranty.

When I searched through forum I figured that it was an engine misfire. And that it could be due to mutiple reasons- spark plug, fuel mixture, wiring issue, etc. etc.

Couple of things I am able to trace back
1. Got a tank full of HP Power petrol the previous night. Could it be fuel issue.
2 there are rats in my society open area and as car is parked outside, rats do make visit to the car. But I did not notice any visible signs of rodent damage.

Questions

1. Has anyone else experienced this issue in Creta petrol or otherwise? How common is this?
2. What should be my next course of action here? Can I diagnose the problem myself? Should I be running to the SC or wait?

Thanks in advance.

Mods- I could not figure the right thread for this. Please help move to a relevant thread if needed.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks