Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2007, 22:23   #1
Senior - BHPian

Engine misfire

Guys

We have an Opel Astra that is stationed in Chennai and driver is reporting engine misfires and backfires. I guess its OK when driven gently but when you step on it you can hear firecrackers going off.

Since my dad is here in the US, we have told him to minimize driving.

Any idea what its could be? I did some research on the web and its pointing to either a MAF issue or an ignition module issue. Anybody faced the same problem?
Old 24th August 2007, 22:47   #2
Senior - BHPian

mostly it should be a bad spark plug and or bad fuel. replace all plugs and drain out the fuel if it was filled up at a non normal filling station. should solve the problem
Old 24th August 2007, 23:57   #3
BHPian

Most likely Bad Plugs, Check them and Replace if needed- Also have the Throttle and Air Filter Cleaned, In most cases these 3 things can have the PATAKA Effect coupled along with Poor Pickup,Bad FE and ofcourse the Misfires.
Old 25th August 2007, 00:18   #4
Senior - BHPian

In my opinion its bad plug wires. See if it works ok with new HT plug cables.
Old 25th August 2007, 00:28   #5
BHPian

Deep you might also check if this issue has started recently (during monsoon)? Increase in moisture = may a cracked coil pack and/or cracked plug wires = misfire/backfire?

I have been told (gti-vr6.net) that after market plugs (4 - point iridiums) are not good on several german cars so maybe that could be an issue too.
Old 25th August 2007, 00:34   #6
Senior - BHPian

I think we can rule out the bad fuel part since new fuel has already been tried. If its indeed is the plugs then I am happy since its a cheap fix.

If I am not mistaken, misfires are caused because the plug is firing at the wrong time. That's why I have this nagging feeling that its the ignition module(elecrtonic distributor) that is causing this issue.
Old 7th August 2008, 00:23   #7
BHPian

I had the same problem too. Get your vehicle to a genuine GM service center and they will take care of it. you can check if it is a ECU problem. you have to change your ECU unit if it has gone bad. or may be fixed if in a good condition. And it also may be a timing issue. GM will be the best people to assist you further. I strongly recommend you to take your vehicle to those guys. and if you want to increase your vehicles FE, pm me. I get a FE of 18km/L in city and 21km/L on highways. Beautiful technology installed in my OPEL ASTRA
Old 27th April 2009, 20:35   #8
Senior - BHPian

Hi you could get the distributer point cleaned and get the distributer wires which are connected to the plugs changed and as well take off the distibutor service it fit it back and get the car retimed.this should sort it out.
Old 28th April 2009, 09:22   #9

Hi people my dads astra is excellent but just one things bothering me. Since a few weeks the car is running at around 100 Degs with the air conditioning on.
Without the AC it runs at 90 Degs.

I have noticed THE HIGH SPEED FAN ONLY COME ON AT 100 DEGS and going off at around 95 degs .

Guys is this the normal for astras? people at GM dealership say so.

Any suggestions from are welcome.

Opel owners please let me know the operating temp with AC.

Regards Abhishek
Old 28th April 2009, 09:56   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek_5 View Post
Since a few weeks the car is running at around 100 Degs with the air conditioning on.Without the AC it runs at 90 Degs.
I have noticed THE HIGH SPEED FAN ONLY COME ON AT 100 DEGS and going off at around 95 degs .
This used to be the case with my 1996 Astra. The 1997 model however had the temp set for 95 deg before the fan came on. I dont have my Astra any more but am told that this could be fixed and redced to 95 deg by a competent mechanic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
That's why I have this nagging feeling that its the ignition module(elecrtonic distributor) that is causing this issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacingHart View Post
you can check if it is a ECU problem. you have to change your ECU unit if it has gone bad.

I get a FE of 18km/L in city and 21km/L on highways. Beautiful technology installed in my OPEL ASTRA
Yes I too believe it is something more than just faulty wire or spark plugs. I would request the help from a competent mechanic (GM or otherwise) who has the tools to diagnose this.

How do you get 18-21kmpl. My Astra used to average 7-8kmpl in Mumbai city.
Old 28th April 2009, 10:12   #11

Thanks for the reply Navin. Mine is a 98 Astra. Could you specify if possible what can be done to keep it going at around 95 degs.
Old 6th October 2010, 03:01   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
This used to be the case with my 1996 Astra. The 1997 model however had the temp set for 95 deg before the fan came on. I dont have my Astra any more but am told that this could be fixed and redced to 95 deg by a competent mechanic.
Yes I too believe it is something more than just faulty wire or spark plugs. I would request the help from a competent mechanic (GM or otherwise) who has the tools to diagnose this.

How do you get 18-21kmpl. My Astra used to average 7-8kmpl in Mumbai city.
I got the vehicle's engine groomed. I replaced the ECU with an aftermarket ECU. I have installed IRX iridium spark plugs, K&N filter, and Free flow (Magnaflow), and a mielage regulator. That should do the trick.

And yes, also add System-G that you can avail from GM and add 1 ml for every litre of petrol and you are on.
Old 6th October 2010, 04:55   #13
Senior - BHPian

Sorry I didn't update. Car went to 2 different mechanics and everything from spark plugs, wires and ignition module got replaced. Runs fine now and costed around 15K.
Old 17th June 2019, 16:29   #14
BHPian

Sporadic engine misfire in my 2005 Swift petrol

Hello everyone,

I own a 2005 Swift petrol (i.e. with the old 1.3L engine). Around 8-9 months back, I sensed an occasional engine misfire at low RPMs. The frequency was around 1-2 twice a week. This wasn't just present in the mornings but also happened when I used to park the car (i.e. again running at low RPM) in my apartment parking in the evening after coming back from work. The drive from my work to home takes well over 15 mins, which means the engine was fully warm.

And in the mornings, the misfire used to go away within 30 seconds after starting the car.

As this misfire was occasional, I decided to wait till it happened frequently and persisted for a long enough duration that can I show it at a service center.

This happened for 2 months with the frequently of the occurrence remaining the same. Then one day, the misfire remained even after I started driving normally. There was no check engine light and nor it came on anytime before.

Instead of going to work I straightaway went to a MASS. There the mechanics looked for any error codes but didn't find any. Then they replaced both the existing ignition coils with new ones but the misfire persisted.

Next we wanted to check the high tension leads but as my car was with the old engine, they didn't have them in stock. We even tried to check if any other Swift was available with the old 1.3L engine, so that we can swap out the leads from that. But there weren't any on that day.

I asked the SA if the spark plugs might be the culprit as they weren't replaced for quite a while. SA told that if it would have been a spark plug issue then the misfire wouldn't be continuous like this. Spark plug issues cause erratic misfires and not continuous, so it can't be a spark plug issue.

I was asked to go back and wait till another Swift is available with them with the 1.3L engine to continue the diagnosis. They weren't willing to order a new set of high tension cables just to diagnose the fault.

I went back and on the way back, the car returned back to normal. And since then, i.e. for over 6 months now, it's running fine.

Now I am constantly under an apprehension that this issue can again pop-up some day. And that is why I don't feel comfortable taking the car out of town. I am just waiting (rather praying) for the issue to come back so that it can be fixed for sure.

SA is saying that they won't be able to diagnose anything till the issue actually comes up.

Need help on what should be done now? Any ideas on what might have happened.

My car is 13.5 years old with 1,30,000+ kms on the odo. I have always adhered to the oil change intervals and use synthetic oil only.
Old 17th June 2019, 17:34   #15
Senior - BHPian

Re: Sporadic engine misfire in my 2005 Swift petrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftLife View Post
Then they replaced both the existing ignition coils with new ones but the misfire persisted.
I am not an expert but logically thinking, the action inside the quote would have done the trick. After replacing the ignition coils, the air remains within the engine still continued to get out and hence, you could hear the misfire for some MORE time.

But, after all the air inside the engine is drained out, since the ignition coils were new, it did not happen again. Am I ?

By the way, how many kms have you driven the car post this event? IF the issue has not persisted after running 1000 kms, then, I would never wait for the devil to return back but enjoy the rides

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks