Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2007, 11:52   #1
BHPian

Cleaning girl scratches black car with ScotchBrite!

I had delayed washing the car for a few days after rains and it was all coated with a layer of dust.

When going out the other day, I noticed one area where the dust was removed. Not only that, but there were scratches in the paint at that area. Argh!

Turns out the cleaning girl, thinking the car looked dirty, had picked up a Scotch-Brite abrasive pad that was lying around, and started "cleaning" the car. It's a good thing she didn't "clean" the entire car!

Anyway, what can be done now? I don't want the touch-up paint to look worse than the scratches. Would they repair it by a very fine brush, or just a few strands of a brush dipped in paint? Or with spray paint?

Dupont Centari is the recommended paint, right? Does it need to be mixed to my car hue, or is black just black?
Old 25th August 2007, 11:55   #2
Team-BHP Support

Nothing will work. You will need to get the panel repainted fully. The only chance if it's not deep scratches is buffing and using a scratch remover.

3M has a scratch removal solution. You can go to them as it's not a DIY.
Old 25th August 2007, 12:09   #3
Senior - BHPian

Repainting will be expensive even in the cheapest garage

clearly the scratches are not deep,anyway scotch brite scratshes cannot be deep

i suggest you use rubbing polish,i come across such situations in the past
and even witnessed a little deeper scratches and rubbing polish worked for it and the job will be done in 30-40 Rs or less thats it,if that doesnt work then you can try with other expensive ideas

usually in maroon,black or green cars after scratches you can see white colour beneath the rubbing polish will plush these with the original paint of the car
Old 25th August 2007, 12:27   #4
Senior - BHPian

As suggested by Amatmo, try rubbing compound first and then try other methods.
Old 25th August 2007, 12:34   #5
Senior - BHPian

i would suggest you use rubbing compound on the panel that has been affected. the scratches are not deep and hence like amtmo mentioned would be a cheaper alternative to painting the panel. you also need to be careful as too not over polish the area as it tends to eat off a layer of the paint.
Old 25th August 2007, 15:45   #6
BHPian

yikes!
try buffing with 3M finesse it (micro rubbing compound) followed by a wax shine.
(incidentally scotch brite is made by 3M too,not that its any consolation.)
Old 25th August 2007, 15:52   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

you can be assured of of a lot of guys visiting your thread since the title is quite tempting . Go to any normal repair shop fella and he will touch it up. Black is the easiest color to get quick touch ups done. I had a black car so i know from experience.

Btw, which car is it?
Old 25th August 2007, 18:18   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
you can be assured of of a lot of guys visiting your thread since the title is quite tempting . Go to any normal repair shop fella and he will touch it up. Black is the easiest color to get quick touch ups done. I had a black car so i know from experience.

Btw, which car is it?

Touchup will MESS UP the whole look. It is not advisable to do touch up unless your scartch is so deep that it is exposing the metal below the paint.

Caliper - Try Rubbing compound first. with lot of time and some patience you will get back the old look.
Old 25th August 2007, 18:48   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

This thread is visited quite often. Most men would be attracted to the thought of a girl cleaning a car. Then they come here and realise what it's about.
I am sorry about the scratches on your car.

I would strongly recommend you go to a car detailer service and have them correct it, rather than paint it.
Old 25th August 2007, 19:21   #10
BHPian

Try out the 3M scratch remover. If this does not work you can always go for the more expensive alternative of getiing the panel painted
Old 25th August 2007, 21:07   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
i would suggest you use rubbing compound on the panel that has been affected. the scratches are not deep and hence like amtmo mentioned would be a cheaper alternative to painting the panel. you also need to be careful as too not over polish the area as it tends to eat off a layer of the paint.
yes that true ,like speedy said you have to be careful

you see actually that is the technique,when there is a scratch on the car the rubbing polish disssolves the paint from its surrounding and puts it on the scratched area hence you get a very good finish very easily without any marks or patches
Old 25th August 2007, 21:28   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

You could take it to a dealer for "touch up" for small scratches that they do usually for free. But black is one color where any such bandage work can be spotted by a semi-discerning eye.
Old 27th August 2007, 10:49   #13
BHPian

Rubbing and polishing will reduce the damage and make it bearable for some time. If the paint is not cut, then it can be polished off to a large extent. I suggest you take it to a 3M detailer.
Old 28th August 2007, 15:48   #14
BHPian

rubbing polishing,car will never be as good as new but cheapest way is that only
Old 28th August 2007, 22:34   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
This thread is visited quite often. Most men would be attracted to the thought of a girl cleaning a car. Then they come here and realise what it's about.
To add to Sam, anyone watched the movie "Wild Things" where Denise Richards is cleaning a mud covered Jeep.

PS: DO NOT watch with kids.

Most Viewed