Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2024, 17:20   #16
BHPian

Re: Annoyed at the different AT gearbox behaviour of different car brands

Sorry if this is not related to the thread. Why don't more companies give paddle shifters with AMT gearbox? If car already has a manual override mode, isn't it just a matter of mapping it to the paddles?
Old 11th June 2024, 17:37   #17
BHPian

Because one can implement a switch in thousand different ways.
Old 11th June 2024, 17:46   #18
BHPian

As such I look at it more a feature than a bug. Makes sense for different car brands or same brands operating in different segments to have different AT behavior.

Wonder how it is for EVs? Do all EVs have similar "transmission" behavior? Havent driven any EV as yet hence have no clue.
Old 11th June 2024, 20:06   #19
Senior - BHPian

Nothing is standardised.

Engines with the same power and torque behave differently - some have better low end torque, some have better high end power, suspensions behave differently, brakes are different, torsional rigidity is different, FE is different, top speeds are different, acceleration is different, features are different - you name it, they are all different.

So why should the gearboxes behave similarly?

Its the differentiation that draws customers to a manufacturer, make or model. Manufacturers put in a lot of effort to make their cars different from
the competition.

If they were the same, it would be boring. Thankfully it isn’t.

Last edited by AMG Power : 11th June 2024 at 20:33.
AMG Power is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2024, 21:25   #20
BHPian

You forgot AMT from the list which had the the biggest character change out of any AT and would take time to get used to.
Old 11th June 2024, 22:53   #21

Hello, I have a Sonet DCT and it it shifts to manual mode whenever I use paddle shifters. It returns back to fully automatic mode when I don't use the paddle shifters for couple of minutes.
Old 12th June 2024, 07:22   #22
BHPian

In my opinion, each manufacturer would have to differentiate his offering as per his customer’s preferences or as per what the brand stands for.
If everyone gives the same features/ driving preferences there would be no difference in driving cars of various brands.
Old 12th June 2024, 17:40   #23
BHPian

I have driven manual transmission for 15 years before I moved to an AT. IMO, the VW TC has a tall 2nd gear, as a result you rev high which is not to my liking. I find the paddle shifters very handy here. I move to D2->M3 pretty quick and at a lower RPM than shifting automatically. The transmission shifts from M3->D3 in a few seconds if the speed and rpm falls with the range. This has now become a muscle memory and I don't find it much inconvenient.
Old 14th June 2024, 10:32   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid18 View Post
I have driven manual transmission for 15 years before I moved to an AT. IMO, the VW TC has a tall 2nd gear, as a result you rev high which is not to my liking. I find the paddle shifters very handy here. I move to D2->M3 pretty quick and at a lower RPM than shifting automatically. The transmission shifts from M3->D3 in a few seconds if the speed and rpm falls with the range. This has now become a muscle memory and I don't find it much inconvenient.
Same goes for the TC in my XUV700. 2nd gear is very tall plus the shiftlogic refuses to upshift till 2.2k rpm. Adding more throttle to hasten the process only works against you because the car thinks you want more acceleration so it will hold onto 2nd longer instead of upshifting. Moreover no paddles. So have gotten into the habit of pushing the gear lever into M and upshifting manually.

My dad hates me doing this though cause the XUV is his daily driver and whenever I am driving he is probably in the front seat next to me. Grunts under his breath; "....stop fiddling around and drive normally. We never have felt the need to do this in our 40 years of driving"
DCTfanatic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2024, 02:15   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
2. In the new Hyundai Creta, just like the BMW, the automatic transmission can put in manual mode by using the paddle shifters. Its DCT has a Sport mode as well. However, unlike the BMW, the Creta’s gearbox won’t shift back to the fully automatic mode even in the regular D mode if the paddles are not used. It will stick to the manual mode.
Actually, in the new Creta, at least on my NLine, it goes back to Auto on its own. Usually, it switches to auto too quick to my liking. I am still trying to find a way to keep it in locked in manual mode.
Old 25th June 2024, 15:39   #26
BHPian

The "behavior" of ATs of different cars will be different forever because the respective engines are vastly different.

However standardization of the layout of the gear lever and interaction mode should be done. Here are some starters:

Firstly SLOTTED shifter with (P, R, N, D) which is idiot proof (driver CANNOT shift from D to R unless brake is fully pressed) is bare minimum.

Next paddle shifters/manual mode shifter (+, - ) should be exactly in the same position in every car irrespective of underlying gearbox technology.

Finally wrong usage of manual mode should be prevented by the TCU and audiovisual indication should be given for such. Example: While going at 100km/hr, the user should bot be able to downshift to first gear. If he continues to press ( - ) after the permissible downshifting limit, beeps will be heard and the message "downshift request denied" be displayed.
Old 4th July 2024, 09:58   #27

Quote:
So, will all manufacturers please decide on standard Automatic Transmission behaviour?
In my opinion, if all manufacturers decide on a standard automatic transmission behaviour, it will kill the diversity in the car market and every car's transmission would react in the same fashion.
I believer every car buyer who drives his own car chooses the car and the manufacturer based on what his expectations are from the engine and the transmission and the way it meets them. By standardizing it all car buyers will be left with very minimal options and the car buyers would suffer.
Old 5th July 2024, 13:29   #28

Indeed the topic is very relevant. Thanks for the insight. I believe that it entirely depends on the driver mindset. Being an owner behind the wheels of a Jimny AT(TC) and an Ignis AMT. I can easily vibe the difference of the two gearbox. The gearshift in the Jimny AT can only be recognized initially but later on it is unrecognizable. While in the ignis AMT is very noticeable initially and later on too. So, basically it just need the approach of the driver about the transmission.
Old 5th July 2024, 14:25   #29
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

I have a point about the Grand Vitara Mild Hybrid's AT gearshift:

Usually in other cars the lowest/downward position is D or S. This is logical also since when once is not paying much attention he can simply slot all the way down and it will be in Drive mode (or in Sports mode). But in GV the lowest point is M mode. Now the problem with this configuration is that for the owner he knows where are the gearshifts and becomes used to it, but for someone new to the GV (but has driven other ATs), he will inadvertently slot the gearbox to "M" and get moving. This is specially true for Valet parking drivers and even the service center mechanics.

Now driving in M means that gearbox does not upshift automatically (however in other cars with S mode, it does eventually upshift). So if a valet or new driver unknowingly keeps driving in M, he will over-revv the engine in 1st gear.

What makes it worse is that there are no visible "illuminated" indicators on the gearshift itself, so one has to look in the Centre console to see if the gearshift is in D or M or whatever.

Anything that can be done to overcome this issue ? Specially while giving the car to Valet drivers ?
Old 5th July 2024, 14:40   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Some use transmissions from the same supplier, while some don’t. What they do not do is standardise the behaviour of the automatic transmissions.

Each gearbox acts differently. This can get annoying as one might be used to a certain kind of behaviour. Automatics are gaining popularity in India

will all manufacturers please decide on standard Automatic Transmission behaviour?
This is a rather interesting thread. There are 2 broad aspects for India in my take:

1. Are the gearboxes designed for Indian conditions? We have considerable stop start traffic, uneven roads and a good number of hills. We also have hybrids coming with these ATs. Most bhpians will agree to the ZF 8 speed being a gold standard with perhaps the next best being the pkd or DSGs. But we also know the old DQ200 was a bad idea, only some DSGs can be launched, CVTs work best in City traffic etc. Being ready for India is just testing and refinement, but it needs to be done (Eg: Creep speed, gear, gearing under 30 kph)

2. ATs also bring forth a lot of functional changes to cars, like ADAS functions, drive modes, auto hold e-parking brake. These I feel could be standardized to a large degree. Firstly, manufacturers need to get their offerings right functionally and then they can start advertising. However, we are a long way from something like an auto hold becoming a standard for ATs, or making a manual override functionality standard as they are all features today.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks