Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2024, 17:20   #16
BHPian

Re: Annoyed at the different AT gearbox behaviour of different car brands

Sorry if this is not related to the thread. Why don't more companies give paddle shifters with AMT gearbox? If car already has a manual override mode, isn't it just a matter of mapping it to the paddles?
Old 11th June 2024, 17:37   #17
BHPian

Because one can implement a switch in thousand different ways.
Old 11th June 2024, 17:46   #18
BHPian

As such I look at it more a feature than a bug. Makes sense for different car brands or same brands operating in different segments to have different AT behavior.

Wonder how it is for EVs? Do all EVs have similar "transmission" behavior? Havent driven any EV as yet hence have no clue.
Old 11th June 2024, 20:06   #19
Senior - BHPian

Nothing is standardised.

Engines with the same power and torque behave differently - some have better low end torque, some have better high end power, suspensions behave differently, brakes are different, torsional rigidity is different, FE is different, top speeds are different, acceleration is different, features are different - you name it, they are all different.

So why should the gearboxes behave similarly?

Its the differentiation that draws customers to a manufacturer, make or model. Manufacturers put in a lot of effort to make their cars different from
the competition.

If they were the same, it would be boring. Thankfully it isn’t.

Last edited by AMG Power : 11th June 2024 at 20:33.
AMG Power is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2024, 21:25   #20
BHPian

You forgot AMT from the list which had the the biggest character change out of any AT and would take time to get used to.
Old 11th June 2024, 22:53   #21

Hello, I have a Sonet DCT and it it shifts to manual mode whenever I use paddle shifters. It returns back to fully automatic mode when I don't use the paddle shifters for couple of minutes.
Old 12th June 2024, 07:22   #22
BHPian

In my opinion, each manufacturer would have to differentiate his offering as per his customerís preferences or as per what the brand stands for.
If everyone gives the same features/ driving preferences there would be no difference in driving cars of various brands.
Old 12th June 2024, 17:40   #23
BHPian

I have driven manual transmission for 15 years before I moved to an AT. IMO, the VW TC has a tall 2nd gear, as a result you rev high which is not to my liking. I find the paddle shifters very handy here. I move to D2->M3 pretty quick and at a lower RPM than shifting automatically. The transmission shifts from M3->D3 in a few seconds if the speed and rpm falls with the range. This has now become a muscle memory and I don't find it much inconvenient.
Old 14th June 2024, 10:32   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid18 View Post
I have driven manual transmission for 15 years before I moved to an AT. IMO, the VW TC has a tall 2nd gear, as a result you rev high which is not to my liking. I find the paddle shifters very handy here. I move to D2->M3 pretty quick and at a lower RPM than shifting automatically. The transmission shifts from M3->D3 in a few seconds if the speed and rpm falls with the range. This has now become a muscle memory and I don't find it much inconvenient.
Same goes for the TC in my XUV700. 2nd gear is very tall plus the shiftlogic refuses to upshift till 2.2k rpm. Adding more throttle to hasten the process only works against you because the car thinks you want more acceleration so it will hold onto 2nd longer instead of upshifting. Moreover no paddles. So have gotten into the habit of pushing the gear lever into M and upshifting manually.

My dad hates me doing this though cause the XUV is his daily driver and whenever I am driving he is probably in the front seat next to me. Grunts under his breath; "....stop fiddling around and drive normally. We never have felt the need to do this in our 40 years of driving"
DCTfanatic is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed