Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2007, 00:52   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
I think 2 mins is not needed. 20 secs should be ok. The rpm in Baleno shoots to 1.2 K but never to 1.5 or 1.8 K
it depends on how cold the engine is..
but 20 seconds sounds a bit less to me..
Old 31st August 2007, 00:53   #47
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for answering. This is the umpteenth time I had written something and the session got timed out.
Old 31st August 2007, 01:23   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
However, there is no need for wasting fuel and time on a modern engine by idling it in the morning. The ECU does set a higher idling rpm till the engine warms up to get things lubricated.
the throttlebody also needs to get warmed up slightly with the engine coolant.. in very coldplaces this would be a concern but not in india..but still the extra warmup helps in oil lubrication, bring o2 sensor to operating range and heat the TB also..
(but safe side our indian engines also have heated TBs)

Last edited by chetanhanda : 31st August 2007 at 01:24.
Old 18th April 2008, 12:43   #49
Senior - BHPian

Need Clarification

Hi all

When i'm driving my Safari 3.0L in bumper to bumper traffic, i usually dont use Accelerator much unless needed.

I release the clutch and the beast moves effortlessly then i stop using brakes and move back to neutral.

and it goes on like that always as i have this bad habbit of using accelerator only when needed in bumper to bumper traffic.

and its relaxing also to use only clutch and brakes.

Please advise if it is a right thing to do or not ?

will it trouble any part in machinery ?
Old 18th April 2008, 12:56   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_sunny001 View Post
Hi all

When i'm driving my Safari 3.0L in bumper to bumper traffic, i usually dont use Accelerator much unless needed.

I release the clutch and the beast moves effortlessly then i stop using brakes and move back to neutral.

and it goes on like that always as i have this bad habbit of using accelerator only when needed in bumper to bumper traffic.

and its relaxing also to use only clutch and brakes.

Please advise if it is a right thing to do or not ?

will it trouble any part in machinery ?
Looks perfect to me. I use the same technique. Why do you call this a bad habit?
Only other thing I do is that if I am on a down slope in bumper to bumper traffic, I slot the gear to neutral and release the brake to allow the car to roll forward, then brake again if needed. This is even more relaxing to the body.
Old 19th April 2008, 10:49   #51
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Thats the beast's torque doing the work. Nothing wrong with this as long as you dont feel the engine being strained (rpm going too low etc.).
Old 25th October 2009, 00:13   #52
BHPian

Guys, I own a baleno, I wanted to know how to drive the MPFI, all my years till now I have driven a carb. It gets really confusing with the MPFI on managing the clutch and gas in first gear in bumper2bumper traffic, vehicles stalls a lot..

If the speeds are too less, one needs to drive with half clutch. I know it is bad but what are the other options? The moment I leave the clutch, the speed is too less for the engine to stall

Other option is moving to 2nd when speed picks up but this at the cost of the shuddering one maintains the speed.

Appreciate your advice.
Old 25th October 2009, 00:41   #53
BHPian

What about when you are not stopping or halting the engine for a long time? I mean sometime we have to get out of the car and vcant wait for 30sec for Turbo timing. What to do then?
Old 25th October 2009, 01:00   #54
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThE Godfather View Post
What about when you are not stopping or halting the engine for a long time? I mean sometime we have to get out of the car and vcant wait for 30sec for Turbo timing. What to do then?
If you can't wait for that long (only 30 secs!) once you have arrived then you can try the other trick. You know when you are about to reach your destination. Stop revving a little before you reach. Try to keep your RPM below 1800 or whatever your turbo spooling RPM is. Just roll in to your destination, park the car, switch off and walk away. Done. No need to wait the 30 secs. This is equally effective.
Old 25th October 2009, 09:34   #55
Senior - BHPian

As far as i know the only time you shouldn't be applying throttle on an MPFI car is when you start the engine.

Most diesels have heavy rotational mass (that store energy) as compared to petrols, so it makes it easier to just release the clutch and get going without applying throttle.

High revving cars that come with lighter rotational mass will need some throttle to get the car moving.

So i dont see any prob in using a bit of throttle (maybe 1000-1500rpm) when relesing the clutch in 1st.

Shan2nu
Old 25th October 2009, 11:07   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
As far as i know the only time you shouldn't be applying throttle on an MPFI car is when you start the engine.

Most diesels have heavy rotational mass (that store energy) as compared to petrols, so it makes it easier to just release the clutch and get going without applying throttle.

High revving cars that come with lighter rotational mass will need some throttle to get the car moving.

So i dont see any prob in using a bit of throttle (maybe 1000-1500rpm) when relesing the clutch in 1st.

Shan2nu
Please confirm my understanding I drive a MPFI.

In stop and crawl traffic at 5km/hr, I cannot take my foot off the clutch & I am in condition where i need to keep the clutch sliped & other foot on the accelrator. Even it the crawling traffic stops, I need to fully depress the clutch and apply brakes.

When the speed picks up, I immediately shift to 2nd and used the accelarator to move.

What if I am aware that the traffic will come to a stop some 20m ahead of me, would I shift to 2nd or still stay in 1st gear?
Old 25th October 2009, 16:01   #57
BHPian

Someone has mentioned in this thread that MPFI cars' idle RPM is higher. I think it was true with the Santro zipplus i had previously. However in my Getz 1.3 the idle RPM is around 700 and is not adequate to pull off by just releasing the clutch when AC is on. After early morning cold start the idle RPM is around 1500 which is good enough. Is it possible to increase the idle RPM? And is that a bad idea for FE?
Old 26th October 2009, 13:50   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Please confirm my understanding I drive a MPFI.

In stop and crawl traffic at 5km/hr, I cannot take my foot off the clutch & I am in condition where i need to keep the clutch sliped & other foot on the accelrator. Even it the crawling traffic stops, I need to fully depress the clutch and apply brakes.

When the speed picks up, I immediately shift to 2nd and used the accelarator to move.

What if I am aware that the traffic will come to a stop some 20m ahead of me, would I shift to 2nd or still stay in 1st gear?
Its better to stay in 1st rather than upshift and load up the engine. But if you see cars moving at speed for a large distance, then you can shift into 2nd.

Shan2nu

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks