Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2018, 20:04   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: Engine Oil Additive

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_rit View Post
Mitsubishi A.S.S. use Motul but lately also started using Mobil 1 Delvac - petrol engines are not so common, so they stocked only Delvac oil which is for diesel engines but also can be used for petrol cars for eg. by fleet operators.
The one time I put Mobile 1 Delvac, I wasn't somehow impressed with the engine smoothness etc. Maybe, its related to aging engine or something not to the oil but I wouldn't recommend Mobil 1 Delvac for a petrol engine.
In case you have not flushed the engine within 2 years or so, when you change to synthetic/semi-synthetic, do _not_ flush as the other poster also warned.
In this case, Ceratec may have risks if it opens up leaks etc by removing carbon deposits ...
Delvac 1 is strictly a diesel engine FS oil.
Why would you even try it on a petrol engine,
when Mobil 1 0W40/5W50 are available, specifically for petrol engines.
Old 16th April 2018, 20:22   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Delvac 1 is strictly a diesel engine FS oil.
Why would you even try it on a petrol engine,
when Mobil 1 0W40/5W50 are available, specifically for petrol engines.
I guess you missed a good part of what I wrote:

* I don't prefer Delvac 1, would always go for API/SN gasoline synthetic oils like Mobil 1 or Motul 5W40 etc
* SVR Motors had already replaced my car's engine oil with Delvac 1 before I knew of it, so nothing to be done there.
* Delvac 1 exceeds the grade API/SJ mandated for Mitsubishi Lancer. It actually supports gasoline engines with API/SJ and API/SL! So fleet operators who largely have diesel vehicles also use that for the petrol vehicles they have, provided API/SL suffices.
https://www.mobil.com/en/industrial/...-delvac-1-5w40
* Thus, it works for Lancer petrol engines, but had I known pre-event, I wouldn't have asked them to put it instead of an API/SN Motul 5W/40 or similar.

BTW, even Motul 8100-Xcess also works on both gasoline and diesel engines (API/SN and CF)
https://www.motul.com/us/en-US/produ...00-x-cess-5w40

Hope that clarifies the matter :-)

Last edited by lancer_rit : 16th April 2018 at 20:24.
lancer_rit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2020, 19:52   #78
BHPian

Has anybody heard about this product : MACH-DRIVE NANOENERGIZER (FOUR-WHEELER)

Says it uses ceramic coating for better engine health. Any such other product in the market. This was recommended by my FNG.

Link
Vasuki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2020, 00:53   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasuki View Post
Has anybody heard about this product : MACH-DRIVE NANOENERGIZER (FOUR-WHEELER)

Says it uses ceramic coating for better engine health. Any such other product in the market. This was recommended by my FNG.

Link
I’m not going to comment on this particular product but will address this “Performance Improvement Category” in general.

I’m sure this has been repeated umpteen number of times on this forum but let me say this; most of the oil majors (Shell, EXXON Mobil, BP/Castrol & a number of other) that are involved in lubricants manufacturing in addition to their upstream activities are one of the largest Fortune 500 companies in the world with R&D budget that runs into hundred of millions of dollars (in some cases more than US$ 1 billion) which is 50 to 100 times and in some cases even more than the total annual sales turnover of most of these additive manufacturers. They employ thousands of bright scientists to carry out basic and applied research in multiple fields that includes lubricants formulation and blending. Having worked for some of the largest oil companies in the world for last 24 years I can tell you that if any entity has the capability or resources to develop the most cutting edge product/s for internal combustion engine application; it is these companies.

To illustrate my point with an example; Shell’s annual R&D budget is US$ 1.2 billion. I have visited their Westhollow research facility on the outskirts of Houston multiple times. It is a 1 million square feet facility that employs 1,200 scientists with PHDs. Westhollow is only 1 of 7 such facilities that Shell owns around the world (Have worked for Shell North America for more than 10 years). In January 2017 when API CK-4/FA-4 specification for Heavy Duty Diesel Engine Oils came into effect, Shell had already carried out multiple field trials for their Diesel Engine Oil portfolio for 40 million miles (64 million kilometers) before their products were commercially launched. And it is the same case more or less with other major lubricant manufacturers.

All the Automotive/Truck & Motorcycle manufacturers work closely with these major oil companies continuously and especially whenever a new lubricant specification comes into effect so these lubricant manufacturers are involved right from design stage.

Over the years testing by independent labs and major manufacturers have proven that most of these so called additives are not what they claim to do and in most cases do more harm than any good.

Most of the lubricants marketed by any of the oil majors are of world class quality. Whatever additives are needed to make a top class engine lubricant have already been added at the formulation stage. To add any of these so called “Performance Improvement Additive” to a good a quality lubricant is like going to a Michelin starred restaurant and trying to improve the recipe of an award winning dish by adding your own concoction of herbs/spices.
Not recommended.

My two cents for whatever it's worth.

Last edited by Vikram Arya : 25th October 2020 at 01:08. Reason: Addition of content
Vikram Arya is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 25th October 2020, 12:41   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

Engine oil additives are the modern day snake oil equivalent guys!

Run a mile from people telling you it has any use.

Don’t be fooled with any of the clever marketing, the fancy names or the “scientific evidence”. It is all trickery, lies and PR.

Nothing a modern car needs other than just the normal pre-scribed lub oil.

At best this stuff doesn’t do any harm to your engine, but nothing else.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th October 2020, 19:26   #81
Senior - BHPian

The only engine oil additive I would trust is Motorkote.

It actually works !! Testing was done on the YouTube channel Project Farm who is one of those who I really trust.

Unfortunately it's not available in India currently and has to be ordered from the USA. If someone is getting it for you then get me a pack as well !!
Old 15th June 2021, 23:08   #82
BHPian

Any modern engine doesn't need anything more than engine oil change at manufacturer specified intervals. For engine oil, you may want to go for synthetic oil which is proven to be better than mineral oil in every possible aspect.

Don't waste your money on all these additives, motor flush or whatever garbage that pops up on internet.

I still drive a 2003 Corolla and all I do is engine oil change (Mobil1 5W30 full synthetic), once a year. Engine still runs like new. Never used any additive or motor flush. In fact, don't ever use motor flush in old engines, you may run into oil burning or oil leaking issues as flush clears out sludge/carbon/dirt which maybe preventing oil leaking out of the seals.
pta320 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2022, 07:38   #83
Senior - BHPian

Tried LiquiMoly TopTec 4100 in my Nexon diesel (5 years and 60,000 Kms). Engine runs very smooth. Picked up Ceratec as well but haven't had the courage to pour it in. Any recent review on Ceratec is most welcome
Attached Thumbnails
Engine Oil Additive-img_7768.jpg  

Old 6th August 2022, 08:27   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Picked up Ceratec as well but haven't had the courage to pour it in. Any recent review on Ceratec is most welcome
Go for it. 5w-40 is semi-synth, not synthetic. I have used it on one old vehicle, and was surprised the way performed (though after I sold it, since I had not pushed the vehicle myself).
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2023, 20:12   #85
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

I put 300ml LiquiMoly Ceratec into my Thar Petrol engine. The already smooth and silent petrol engine has now become whisper soft and buttery.

I also poured 300ml of Ceratec into my Gypsy. The smoothness of the engine that Ceratec imparts is unbelievable.

And 300ml of Ceratec into my 11 year
Old Cooper. Amazingly smooth response!
Attached Thumbnails
Engine Oil Additive-95a7e1764542445cb00836030b9dbf1d.jpeg  

Engine Oil Additive-835710f0ad6e401aa061915407f09a30.jpeg  

Engine Oil Additive-0ef96de0e188478880d05dbb48f4816a.jpeg  

Last edited by shankar.balan : 14th March 2023 at 20:14.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th March 2023, 21:09   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I put 300ml LiquiMoly Ceratec into my Thar Petrol engine. The already smooth and silent petrol engine has now become whisper soft and buttery.
For the love of Thar , Please don't do that to a Mahindra engine , it's meant to last a long time

Just change the oil more frequently when you feel like pampering it , use only their own engine oil and consumables, no additives of any kind, fuel or oil.
Old 15th March 2023, 16:48   #87
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
For the love of Thar , Please don't do that to a Mahindra engine , it's meant to last a long time

Just change the oil more frequently when you feel like pampering it , use only their own engine oil and consumables, no additives of any kind, fuel or oil.
Academic question.
This is a modern and powerful, superbly responsive, exceedingly well tuned engine.
LiquiMoly Ceratec is supposed to enhance smoothness and reduce noise. And indeed I can feel the difference.

Is there some evidence to suggest that LiquiMoly Ceratec is detrimental in some way?

And for that matter since Mahindra recommends only semi synthetic oil, is using fully synthetic oil of the same grade, going to create any headaches?

Last edited by shankar.balan : 15th March 2023 at 16:50.
Old 15th March 2023, 17:32   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Academic question.
This is a modern and powerful, superbly responsive, exceedingly well tuned engine.
LiquiMoly Ceratec is supposed to enhance smoothness and reduce noise. And indeed I can feel the difference.

Is there some evidence to suggest that LiquiMoly Ceratec is detrimental in some way?

And for that matter since Mahindra recommends only semi synthetic oil, is using fully synthetic oil of the same grade, going to create any headaches?
Frankly, all these additives contain ingredients that increase the octane number of the fuel.
This pseudo/temporary increase in power and performance is short lived though.

If there is an immediate increase in mileage, power etc, please ask this question to yourself, how? Then start looking for MSDS of these additives and try to find out.
Old 15th March 2023, 19:33   #89
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT_Hyderabad View Post
Frankly, all these additives contain ingredients that increase the octane number of the fuel.
This pseudo/temporary increase in power and performance is short lived though.

If there is an immediate increase in mileage, power etc, please ask this question to yourself, how? Then start looking for MSDS of these additives and try to find out.
LiquiMoly Ceratec has nothing to do with increasing the Octane Rating of the Fuel. That is Proctane EVO or STP Octane Boost.
Ceratec claims to be a ‘Friction Modifier’ and as per my own experience it certainly enhances smoothness and silence.
Old 15th March 2023, 21:06   #90
BHPian

Quote:
LiquiMoly Ceratec has nothing to do with increasing the Octane Rating of the Fuel. That is Proctane EVO or STP Octane Boost.
Ceratec claims to be a ‘Friction Modifier’ and as per my own experience it certainly enhances smoothness and silence.
Oh yes, my bad. I thought I am in the fuel additive thread

Yes, nearly all Engine oil additives increase lubricity by either pumping in molybdenum, Zddp, boron or other additives. Some also increase the thickness of oil to make the oil less prone to burning. I am not a big fan of these additives or flushes. For me, engine oil does everything I need. Some less, some more. I like experimenting with oils though.

Thanks for sharing your experience, will help me if I get caught up with a wrong oil. I hate wasting oil just for smoothness.

Most Viewed