Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2007, 14:41   #16
BHPian

I've noticed in my NHC that the FE is decreasing as the car is clocking more kms on the ODO. Initially it was around 14 but now its come down to 12 to 13 inspite of regular services. (Had to change the fuel pump @ 11k km)
Old 3rd September 2007, 09:34   #17
BHPian

does the running in the car as per the hand book is the reason why all the cars actually come to it's own after 15k on an average.

my father bought santro xo recently and went on long trips haridwar, chandigarh, Ludhiana and all.

obviously he has not ran in the car as per the hand book , but the car is actually has got better pick up now and FE is also good.
Old 3rd September 2007, 09:35   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saumil View Post
I've noticed in my NHC that the FE is decreasing as the car is clocking more kms on the ODO. Initially it was around 14 but now its come down to 12 to 13 inspite of regular services. (Had to change the fuel pump @ 11k km)

had to change to fuel pump!!!!!!!
Old 3rd September 2007, 13:42   #19
Senior - BHPian

If they have come with pre-tuned engines then why is GM asking not to push the engine in the first 100 kms?

Actually, these modern engines are pre-tuned etc. on the bench or on their testing tracks. While the actual user driving style & conditions vary a lot. Hence, one needs to settle out the powerplant before getting adventurous..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagittarian View Post
I am told modern cars come with pre-tuned engines. Do them really need a run-in period, as was required in the case of earlier generation vehicles. I bought an Aveo and in its manual there is no mention about a run-in period. GM asks the user not to push the engine in the first 100 km, that's all. Having said that, how true is the statement that the FE would improve "after the first service"? My idling rpm is set at 1000; will they change it in the first service?
Old 3rd September 2007, 15:07   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
If they have come with pre-tuned engines then why is GM asking not to push the engine in the first 100 kms?

Actually, these modern engines are pre-tuned etc. on the bench or on their testing tracks. While the actual user driving style & conditions vary a lot. Hence, one needs to settle out the powerplant before getting adventurous..
The ECU is supposed to take care of this, isn't it. one's driving style also has effect on the car, e.g whoever drives my car is surprised with the excellent pickup, even the service engineers but ofcourse the FE is slightly lesser.

AFAIK, first 3000 kms the car should be driven sedately, after that one may push if you get the appropriate roads without going overboard. for me ,this usually meant 90Kmph with M800 but with SX4 I feel confident at 100 Kmph too. Ofcourse, the power brakes help if needed. Other than that, one should avoid excessive & sudden braking during the first 3000 kms (Don't hit someone and give this excuse though , the sudden braking should be avoided but is not banned, so please brake hard if you have to
Old 3rd September 2007, 17:09   #21
BHPian

I think the car settles in by about 3000km. But, it usually takes about 10,000km on the same car for me to go and throw it around. Of course, beyond the 6 month service and engine oil change, is usually the point where I open out to explore the capabilities.
Old 3rd September 2007, 18:40   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear msharma79 - on an average, best general performance gets realised at @ 9000 kms (not 8 or 10 but 9 only - I have tried many times) because the TYRES OPERATED IN NORMAL MODE ATTAIN OPTIMUM SCRUB @ 9000 KMS. Try it, you will be pleasently surprised. Optimum tyre life is around 43000 kms.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 3rd September 2007, 19:43   #23
BHPian

I've driven 43k km in my Getz.The engine seems to be getting better & better as regards the power.After the 3rd service at 20k km,I started driving a lot on the highways (almost 70%) & I think it definitely makes a difference to the way the engine behaves.
Old 3rd September 2007, 19:47   #24
BHPian

i feel people who use their cars for long drives have better settled cars. My friend has an esteem which has done 1,15,000 kms in 1.5 years. i drove his car once and i was surprised. no clutch prob, no idling issues, perfect condition though the exterior was in a bad shape but no rattles.

everyday on an average his car drives for 200 kms or so.

but those who drive less dont have such performance as far as i have seen. so imo the car's potential is really used when its used to its max.
Old 3rd September 2007, 21:41   #25
BHPian

My petra seems to be getting quieter and ride better after 15K KMs. It started settling down well after 8K KMs or so.
Old 4th September 2007, 10:18   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjdesigns_2000 View Post
i feel people who use their cars for long drives have better settled cars. My friend has an esteem which has done 1,15,000 kms in 1.5 years. i drove his car once and i was surprised. no clutch prob, no idling issues, perfect condition though the exterior was in a bad shape but no rattles.

everyday on an average his car drives for 200 kms or so.

but those who drive less dont have such performance as far as i have seen. so imo the car's potential is really used when its used to its max.

that many kms in 1.5 year .. we all need to meet this guy and should learn from him how to maintain the car. can u get some pictures of his car???
Old 4th September 2007, 13:14   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandan View Post
I've driven 43k km in my Getz.The engine seems to be getting better & better as regards the power.After the 3rd service at 20k km,I started driving a lot on the highways (almost 70%) & I think it definitely makes a difference to the way the engine behaves.

and what about your tyres, check out the post by behram. are they worn out????
Old 4th September 2007, 18:40   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msharma_79 View Post
and what about your tyres, check out the post by behram. are they worn out????
Oh yes they wear out faster on highway runs.I changed mine a couple of months ago but that was also because of uneven wear due to negative camber.IMO, they should last 50k km.
Old 4th September 2007, 19:30   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

I did 1,36,600 kms in 13 months - what car ? any guesses ? Also 1500 kms per day, day after day after day ---

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 4th September 2007, 21:06   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
I did 1,36,600 kms in 13 months - what car ? any guesses ? Also 1500 kms per day, day after day after day ---

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

chair car in shatabdi express

now seriously you drive that much every day

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks