Team-BHP - Ikon 1.6 - new O.E rotor or after market slotted ones
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   Ikon 1.6 - new O.E rotor or after market slotted ones (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/28273-ikon-1-6-new-o-e-rotor-after-market-slotted-ones.html)

Hi there Bhpians,
Brakes on my ikon has been really bad these days and i took my car to metro ford for a checkup. The diagnosis was brake pads worn out, leakage in Master Cylinder seal, Rotor thickness is 17mm below minmum recomeded 18mm thickness (my car has run 67K kms).Ford recommends 18mm-21mm. And the service personnel recommends a new rotor. Got the pads and Master cylinder changed and ofcourse fresh brake fluid bled into the system, but the braking is still not sharp enough. I am wondering should i change to a new O.E rotor or go for aftermarket slotted/drilled ones with after market brake pads. I need some advise on this and also If i go for a after market rotor, which one would you suggest and how much and where can i get them in Bangalore? Do i have to change the master cylinder for a after market rotor and pads?

Let me know if U ever find aftermarket brake parts for the Ikon in our country.

Nitrous, i know its impossible to get after market parts for ikon with the same specs. but i guess some body would have upgraded a slotted/drilled rotor on an ikon?

can the OE ones be replaced by the Fiesta's braking system?stupid:

It will be difficult to find slotted rotors for the ikon. By all means avoid slotted rotors done DIY. Planet_rockers suggestion idea may be good. Check out wether possible.

Quote:

can the OE ones be replaced by the Fiesta's braking system?
Anyone? Please post if anyone knows. Am not happy with my ikon brakes too.

agree: with kaynmantis and shazikon I too own a 1.8D and the brakes are not good as expected.You get the feel of driving a truck with a full load when you brake. So anyone knowing a good set of aftermarket discs and brake pad set please let me know.

Having driven the ikon for 80,000 kms.
I can say that the brake issue is basically with the booster which is quite moody. The booster doesn't provide an servo sometimes which is why the brakes feel inefficient.
I now have a new booster and the occurences have reduced drastically.But, haven't disappeared.
During my recent Chennai-Bangalore trip, the soft-compound Hankooks lock whenever I panic-braked.So, the braking efficiency is there.

Nitrous, i guess you are right.. i got the master cylinder changed as the piston gasket had worn out and was not effective. I can feel a slight difference / improvement now. Lately I have been thinking of another theory. Not enough hydraulic pressure from the master cylinder.. Reason, location of the master cylinder( far from the driver seat)..pistons not big enough. what do you guys think?

I got mine 60+ and the brake pads need to be changed for the 4th time now! :( ..... but I have seen good improvement with Michelin radials.....its true that the brakes are real moody and when you need them the most they ditch you big time!........the josh of 1.6 would have certainly been 10 percent more with better brakes.....

shazikon, the "Not enough hydraulic pressure from the master cylinder" comment seems interesting. I too feel there is not enough pressure.

There are different Master Cylinders size available. Any idea whether ikon can take a bigger Master Cylinder (Assuming that bigger is better). Also I know only of TVS-GIRLING that makes this product. Any other reliable brand. TVS-GIRLING website can be found here >> Brakes India Limited