Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2007, 14:16   #1
Team-BHP Support

Power commander for cars? Why not?

Many here would know of the Dynojet Power Commander for fuel injected superbikes. These retail for $300-500 depending on the model, and pre-set fuel maps are available off the website itself for individual bikes.

It can't get simpler really. You simply plug the Power Commander (PC) in, copy the new map and you're set. Torque, powerband etc can all be adjusted with this and a laptop to best suit the performance updates you fit on your bike as well as the ridding conditions.

So if it's so simple and freely available for bikes, is there something similar out there for cars? Offhand, I don't know of any. SO why aren't these available? Why can't I order a PC online, plug it in, download a remap and get my car to perform better? And I also have to option to tinker around with it myself (if I know what I'm doing). All for around $500 (Rs.20,000).

Why the double standards here? Is it because the ECU in a car control far more (TC, ABS, ESP etc) than that in a FI bike? What's the reason?
Old 5th September 2007, 14:25   #2
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Is it because the ECU in a car control far more (TC, ABS, ESP etc) than that in a FI bike?
Maybe one of the reasons. The only solution to something like this would be to use a standalone and set it up all by yourself. Provided you know what you are doing.
Old 5th September 2007, 14:50   #3
Senior - BHPian

Yes. we have simple options like the Power commander, for cars. A good example, known by most of us, is the Greddy E-manage. Both are piggybacks, you see...

P.S- Rahul, standalones are far more difficult to manage. You have to build maps yourself, according to the engine's state of tune, as every engine is different...pre-determined maps are very costly, as they are engine-specific...

Last edited by veyron1 : 5th September 2007 at 14:55.
Old 5th September 2007, 15:13   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Rtech,

Will the RD ECU help? I'm to believe that it can be programmed on the fly with a laptop, according to an existing customer. And I've seen that it can be either standalone or piggyback by toggling a switch.
Old 5th September 2007, 15:33   #5
Team-BHP Support

E-manage is similar. Isn't it primarily only for Jap imports though?

Quote:
Will the RD ECU help?
I don't know. You tell me.
Old 5th September 2007, 15:41   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech View Post

I don't know. You tell me.

From what I've seen, there's a perceptible power upgrade by switching on this ECU
Old 5th September 2007, 16:05   #7
Senior - BHPian

eManage / SAFC / VAFC are the closest you can get to power commanders for the car world and no they are not plug and play.

However there are a few select ECU's for which you get directly swappable options for reprogramming from various manufacturers and most of them are are targetted towards the subaru / mitsu / honda stables

Some of the famous ones are like Hondata / Crome and Uberdata

Other than that you get standalones and RaceDynamics makes ecus that can be used like piggybacks / standalones.

Yes applications for cars are a bit more expensive due to the additional drivers that one needs to manage.
Old 5th September 2007, 16:09   #8
Team-BHP Support

Thanks Psycho. Any particular reason why we don't have a plug & play similar to the PC?
Old 5th September 2007, 16:39   #9
Senior - BHPian

CAr damages due to fiddling can be way higher than on bikes and not many people want to tinker with their orignal ecu's.

Also the connectors are not that easily available. One shortcut could be to use the OBD conversion cables available abroad.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks