Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2007, 22:49   #1
BHPian

Help needed for a lethargic Accent in Kandivali

Hi guys,

Have facing countless problems with my Accent purchased 3 months back. But the one that has prompted me to post this thread is the miserable pickup which shows no signs of improving despite my efforts.

The car is as responsive as a cow in second gear...more so with the AC on. Had checked with different mechanics in my area. One of them initially did a Clutch overhaul for about 4 K. When things showed no signs of improvement, he changed the spark plugs, cleaned the injectors, topped up the engine oil and coolant.

He then kept the car with him for 3 days and at the end of it told me that one of the components [a small black box on the engine block the size of a plum] was faulty and would have to be replaced as it was responsible for controlling the fuel flow. He replaced it for 1600 bucks. He also removed some magnets that were stuck on the fuel line.

Pickup improved marginally, but with the AC on, it feels really unresponsive. Without the AC too, I can barely keep up with an Indica even.

Have tried driving other cars from friends like the zen and ikon to see if it was just my imagination. But it is not. Even my sister's 800 is more responsive.

I stay in Kandivali Thakur Village area and need to have this rectified as I plan to take the car for a long drive down to Kerala in a few months. Can anyone help me with a reliable and trustworthy mechanic in Kandivali East area.

Presently the car gives 8kpl and has done 51000kms...It is a 2002 Accent GLX.

P.S. One of the mechanics whom I showed the car too said that he saw signs of rain damage in the car and said the vehicle may have been submerged in water at some point in the past [maybe July 26]
Old 5th September 2007, 23:37   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hi Manish

First of all I can seee that you bought this car used. Did you show it to a mechanic before you bought it? Because if it really is flood damage its a big issue. Where do you stay in Thakur Village. I stay there too. Can you tell me which mechanic you showed the car to? Do let me know. Will try and help you out. Give me some more details on the car.

Last edited by Dippy : 5th September 2007 at 23:41.
Old 6th September 2007, 00:00   #3
Senior - BHPian

Is it unresponsive in second gear only? Or the engine is generally unresponsive?
Old 6th September 2007, 00:53   #4
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to be stupid, but did your mechanic or yourself check the air filter ??? this is the culprit most of the time. if you did, then take it to a hyundai workshop, i am damn sure they will be able to sort out this niggle for you.
cheers
Old 6th September 2007, 08:25   #5
BHPian

I agree with esteem lover's comments, ususllay the air-filter and clutch are the culprit, since you have done the clutch overhaul, try replacing the air-filter, and then check it there is improvement.
Old 6th September 2007, 08:35   #6
BHPian

Get a complete checkup done with any authorised hyundai service center, they will be able to identify and rectify the problem much better than the local mechs !!
Old 6th September 2007, 08:39   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
Hi Manish

First of all I can seee that you bought this car used. Did you show it to a mechanic before you bought it? Because if it really is flood damage its a big issue. Where do you stay in Thakur Village. I stay there too. Can you tell me which mechanic you showed the car to? Do let me know. Will try and help you out. Give me some more details on the car.
To be honest, did not take along a mechanic before deciding the car. It was an impulse buy one Sunday when we got badly drenched while biking. I had a choice between a 2003 Ford Ikon 1.6 Nxt Zxi for 2.3L and this 2002 Accent GLX for 2.75L. My better half picked the accent and we struck the deal after a short test drive. Was driving a car after a year with the previous one being an 800 and did not think to check the pickup with the AC on. My mistake...a bige one.

In Thakur, I approached S.K.Motors near Thakur Polytechnic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Is it unresponsive in second gear only? Or the engine is generally unresponsive?
It is very unresponsive in second with the AC on, it crawls. Even cabbies drive past me with angry glares.

WIthout AC, it performs reasonably ok, but have not had any other accent riding which I can compare. To be honest, it is not what I would expect from a 1.5L engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Sorry to be stupid, but did your mechanic or yourself check the air filter ??? this is the culprit most of the time. if you did, then take it to a hyundai workshop, i am damn sure they will be able to sort out this niggle for you.
cheers
Hey...I may be the stupid one here coz while I can take a bike apart and assemble it [having been a biker for years], a car engine is like greek and latin to me. Have yet to learn.

But the mechanic did say that he cleaned the air filter. But would a dirty filter cause such a tremendous drop in rolling acceleration?

Last edited by Zappo : 17th October 2007 at 14:11. Reason: Do not break a single post into parts unnecessarily. Use the multi-quote option when replying to more than one member.
Old 6th September 2007, 09:22   #8
BHPian

Quote:
But the mechanic did say that he cleaned the air filter. But would a dirty filter cause such a tremendous drop in rolling acceleration?
Yes a dirty air filter can cause a big drop in pickup as the car is running out of breath, I could make out an immediate difference when I changed the airfilter last time, the previous one lasted me 5k km's, I don't know how much a new one cost for Accent but for a zen like mine it's very cheap, something like 250 Rs.
Old 6th September 2007, 09:26   #9
Senior - BHPian

It may be a clogged exhaust system. Try driving it with the silencer removed for a short distance. It will be noisy as hell, but it would save on the new silencer cost if that is not the problem.
Old 6th September 2007, 09:58   #10
BANNED

Hi Manish,

Sorry to hear about your problem! I stays at borivali, I know one of the good mechanic his name is Irfan his cell number is : 09820791103, is garage is next to KoraKndara ground ( Borivali (w)), he is a reliable mechanic, I gets my work done from this guy only from last 3 yrs
Get in touch with him

Regards,
Jitendra
Old 6th September 2007, 10:08   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jango View Post
Get a complete checkup done with any authorized hyundai service center, they will be able to identify and rectify the problem much better than the local mechs !!
I have an 2003 Accent and I never trust local mechanic for any engine work. For this kind of problems you should go to Hyundai showrooms. They surely have better systems in place to tackle this type of problems. Only downside is that you should be ready for a hefty bill in case your luck runs out and you have some big problem to fix.
Old 6th September 2007, 12:20   #12
BHPian

I would suggest you to take your car to Hyundai service center. Let them figure out the problem. They are professionals and have proper equipments to check the fault.
Old 6th September 2007, 13:55   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicejits View Post
Hi Manish,

Sorry to hear about your problem! I stays at borivali, I know one of the good mechanic his name is Irfan his cell number is : 09820791103, is garage is next to KoraKndara ground ( Borivali (w)), he is a reliable mechanic, I gets my work done from this guy only from last 3 yrs
Get in touch with him

Regards,
Jitendra
Thanks a lot Jitendra. May try having my car looked at and see if he can give an unbiased diagnosis

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepaktpatil View Post
I have an 2003 Accent and I never trust local mechanic for any engine work. For this kind of problems you should go to Hyundai showrooms. They surely have better systems in place to tackle this type of problems. Only downside is that you should be ready for a hefty bill in case your luck runs out and you have some big problem to fix.
To be honest, I have already spent 10K on the car since I have bought it and am downright apprehensive about any additional heavy expenditure I might incur if I visit the Hyundai service center.
Would someone have an idea about the Sreenath Hyundai service center at Kandivali east near Tata steel?

Last edited by Zappo : 17th October 2007 at 14:10. Reason: Do not break a single post into parts unnecessarily. Posts merged.
Old 6th September 2007, 14:25   #14
Senior - BHPian

manish

Shreenath Hyundai at Borivali is decent. My building friends give their Hyundais to Modi Hyundai at Goregaon West. A friends Santro had a real bad accident. Modi repaired his car and gave it back in 15 days flat. I was quite impressed with their work. Maybe you could try them.

Where do you stay in Thakur Village? We have a few Bhpians around.
Old 6th September 2007, 14:41   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
manish

Shreenath Hyundai at Borivali is decent. My building friends give their Hyundais to Modi Hyundai at Goregaon West. A friends Santro had a real bad accident. Modi repaired his car and gave it back in 15 days flat. I was quite impressed with their work. Maybe you could try them.

Where do you stay in Thakur Village? We have a few Bhpians around.
Hi Dippy,

Shall try Shreenath if all else fails.

I stay in Siddarth Nagar area. If anyone is free and can spare a few mins this Sat or Sunday, pls do PM me. Shall call back.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks