Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2007, 19:05   #1
Senior - BHPian

Scorpio morning-start problem at high altitudes

On my recent (2nd July to 17th July) trip to Ladakh, my new (9000 kms on the odo - 11 months) Scorpio 4WD gave good service but one problem I had was with the first start of the day AT ALTITUDES greater than 9000 ft. Every morning (5 total) at Leh, and at Sarchu, I had trouble starting the car - minimum 12 to 15 attempts required. I used short applications of the starter with at least 30 secs pause between attempts.
Once the car got past this morning routine it worked flawlessly through the day, even after being parked for up to 6 hours.
Temperature certainly does not seem to be the reason - the car started easily at Manali where in fact it was colder than at Leh. And right through Delhi winter it started at first self, with temps down to 5 or 6 degrees celsius.
I have a suspicion that the oxygen sensor might be the culprit.
Can anybody shed some light on this matter?
I have not yet approached the Service Centre. Through past experience, I feel I should be on 'top' of the problem before taking it up with them.
Could learned members please help.
Old 7th September 2007, 01:27   #2
Team-BHP Support

Your ECU should advance the timing when oxygen content is low. To me it looks like a problem with the timing control mechanism.
At high altitude, the mixture is richer(more fuel less air) and you need to give the fuel more time to burn, so thats why timing is advanced.
You can follow that route.
I seriously doubt that Mahindra neglected this ECU thingy. So you may be right, the oxygen sensor is not telling the ECU that there is less air available.
Old 7th September 2007, 07:26   #3
Senior - BHPian

Thanks tsk1979.
The strange thing is that the problem only happened with the first start of the day - that's confusing me a bit, leading me to believe there is some other 'culprit' involved too. Temperatures were never lower than 18C at Leh, which is why I am ruling out 'cold' as a problem.
Will be going in for my 4th service soon, and will see what develops. Problem is I have no way of testing other than to go for another trip to high altitudes! Very welcome thought but to find a place 10,000 ft or more, and to spend a night there kind of rules out our regular haunts AND needs a longish break.
Thanks again for your help.
Old 22nd July 2009, 01:01   #4
BHPian

any update on the problem?
Old 22nd July 2009, 10:00   #5
Senior - BHPian

This is a thread which is almost two years old. LOL
Old 22nd July 2009, 10:09   #6
Senior - BHPian

How did this problem get solved?
Old 22nd July 2009, 10:18   #7
Sha
BHPian

What Scorpio taxi drivers do is they park their vehicles against wind direction, seen in many camps keep changing direction of parking.
Old 22nd July 2009, 10:23   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sha View Post
What Scorpio taxi drivers do is they park their vehicles against wind direction, seen in many camps keep changing direction of parking.
Absolutely, that is something I did with my Matiz too. Firstly, cover the front grill area with newspapers so that teh engine bay is insulated from the cold. Secondly, park the car as fas as possible in an enclosed area (between buildings) so that it is directly exposed to cold winds. While in Sarchu - night temperatures were below zero - I parked the car between the tents (surrounded on 3 sides by tents) - and hey presto, it started at second try at 6 am in the morning with the cold winds howling around. I have done this in the Scorpio (non-crde) too in Uttaranchal and Himachal with equally good results.In Kashmir, during winter, the Sumo taxis go around with a leather sweater covering the front grille.

The above solves the cold problem but not the oxygen problem which Anup and Tanveer have mentioned. I am planning to use a K&N filter to partly overcome this problem in my non-crde Scorpio during my Sep trip to Ladakh.
Old 22nd July 2009, 10:27   #9
Team-BHP Support

K&N filter will let in more dust. So if you are driving in dusty conditions, its not advisable.
Even K&N filter website says "use shroud" when dusty.
Old 22nd July 2009, 10:28   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
K&N filter will let in more dust. So if you are driving in dusty conditions, its not advisable.
Even K&N filter website says "use shroud" when dusty.
Agreed. But, I am also fitting the "wraps" which K&N sells for protection against dust.
Old 22nd July 2009, 10:51   #11
Sha
BHPian

My Gypsy never gave starting problem in higher altidude it use to start in one crank. I use K&N Stock Filter no problem with dusts.
Old 22nd July 2009, 10:59   #12
Senior - BHPian

What time of day did you start?
Old 22nd July 2009, 11:23   #13
Sha
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
What time of day did you start?
We used to leave between 6-7am. In sarchu we started our Gypsy at 7 am.
Old 22nd July 2009, 11:29   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
How did this problem get solved?
Who said it is solved, LOL?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
This is a thread which is almost two years old. LOL
Indeed! And the problem remains unaddressed!
I had similar starting problem at Kharapathar recently. Have been keeping Sri Durga advised. Will take the car to them if they have a likely sounding diagnosis. I am not at all keen to have things 'fingered' for them to stumble upon the problem by chance!

Why only the first start of the day?
Old 22nd July 2009, 11:35   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Indeed! And the problem remains unaddressed!
I had similar starting problem at Kharapathar recently.
You should check with Roshun & GD - I think there was a similar issue with Anil's Scorpio at Pangong. Looks like its some sensor or an ECU setting, not sure. As I mentioned on my Travelogue, a close friend of mine had the same problem in his Scorpio at Sarchu on the way up last year.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks