Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2007, 12:00   #61
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Karthik, I would certainly not think of running a turbo with the E-III ECU. But is it really THAT bad?
Old 12th September 2007, 17:08   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdkarthik View Post
yeah dude it does make a point, but with his E3 baleno in question its not really worth it to look at what the original ECU is doing..It limits the engine RPM (3k to 5k RPMs) when boost get past 4-5 psi..
Oh, do you mean standalone ECU will not display anything on OBDII scanner?
Old 12th September 2007, 19:49   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetanhanda View Post
dude .. u mean obd2 laptop based scanner with support for wideband ?
this will help him get some "readonly" info on the fuel trims,ignition adv/retard,basicaly all the readouts from the sensors and lots of data logging.. + pulling DTC's if something went wrong..
but nothing can replace a standalone ECU which can do all this
Quote:
yeah dude it does make a point, but with his E3 baleno in question its not really worth it to look at what the original ECU is doing..It limits the engine RPM (3k to 5k RPMs) when boost get past 4-5 psi..
Quote:
ok...
So if u are going to override the E3 with a standalone anyway then who really cares abt the original E3 ECU readings..
so this "standalone" software shows what this scanner would + a whole lot more.
Old 12th September 2007, 20:00   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vabs78 View Post
Oh, do you mean standalone ECU will not display anything on OBDII scanner?
If u are using stock ECU with piggyback then it would be of some help to see what the original ECU was doing...

Karthik can clear this better, but I think what he means is that if he is going to use a standalone ECU then whats the point of connecting your laptop to the ECU which is being overriden/bypassed completely.
we might as well use the software the standalone provides..and they do have pretty advanced data to play around with and not just "readonly" data.
Old 12th September 2007, 20:41   #65
Senior - BHPian

So are you going to be running the E-III? And is the standalone compatible with a regular OBD scanner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo_trace View Post
hi
i m sucessfully and satisfying running baleno with second hand toyota gt12 turbocharger (used in old cillica's) and powered by lovato direct injection programable LPG kit..LPG ECM was programmed by enrico thomas from italy came to ahmedabad.
What Celica came with a GT12? GT12s would work really well on M800s, I'm thinking. And Toyota makes their own turbos, na?
Old 12th September 2007, 23:04   #66
BHPian

Quote:
if he is going to use a standalone ECU then whats the point of connecting your laptop to the ECU which is being overriden/bypassed completely.
we might as well use the software the standalone provides..and they do have pretty advanced data to play around with and not just "readonly" data.
I understand that standalone will provide us with much more data than any OEM ecu. OEMs restrict the data to a read-only display because of the costs involved in warrenty claims and for other safety (engine/human) reasons.

I just wanted to know if standalone ECUs support the OBDII standards or not? It may differ for different brands though.
Old 13th September 2007, 00:14   #67
BHPian

@vabs - Few standalones provide an OBD interface. The ones we do dont, we have our own software and harware interface to link PC with ECU. And there is lots more data to play with than what any scanner can provide.

@mcl - yup ... But there are some ways to get around though - some creative ones implement by bright guys like psycho

@chetan - dude u wrote what i thought . I would'nt really want to see what the OE ecu is upto (unless i want to learn from scratch about what ECUs are all about ) , its better off getting an interactive system which lets you have complete control over the engine. And trust me guys, it is awesomely intresting.......
Old 13th September 2007, 00:22   #68
Senior - BHPian

There is no standalone on the market that has OBD2 support AFAIK. I wouldnt know about Karthik's unit though.
Old 13th September 2007, 00:33   #69
BHPian

Quote:
@chetan - dude u wrote what i thought .
yep, dude, Im sure u wouldn't bother.

Quote:
I would'nt really want to see what the OE ecu is upto (unless i want to learn from scratch about what ECUs are all about ) , its better off getting an interactive system which lets you have complete control over the engine. And trust me guys, it is awesomely intresting.......
some ppl like to do everything from scratch, crazy people with laptops plugged into their Obd2 port driving around on freeways...wasting gas..
yep, its interesting plus standalone softwares draw pretty looking graphs and nice colorful tables which make for such nice wallpaper..
Old 13th September 2007, 00:49   #70
BHPian

Quote:
I understand that standalone will provide us with much more data than any OEM ecu. OEMs restrict the data to a read-only display because of the costs involved in warrenty claims and for other safety (engine/human) reasons.
ya , they just want u to fill gas and use the car.

Quote:
I just wanted to know if standalone ECUs support the OBDII standards or not? It may differ for different brands though.
There are so many other protocols, but lets assume you are referring to standalone overriding/bypassing OEM ECu with Obd2 protocol.
Not necessary that they need to have an obd2 compliant port, they can choose not to do so ,the softwares which come with these standalones are pretty advanced , u wont need a scanner to get the "any hidden info" , the accompanying software shows u pretty much reqd + extra stuff u can think off..
Old 13th September 2007, 04:30   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Not necessary that they need to have an obd2 compliant port, they can choose not to do so ,the softwares which come with these standalones are pretty advanced , u wont need a scanner to get the "any hidden info" , the accompanying software shows u pretty much reqd + extra stuff u can think off..
I completely agree that we don't need OBDII when we have the software that come with the standalone.

I have seen many heavyduty vehicles which have an elaborate display of diagnostic data on the vehicle dashboards. Some of these use OBDII to get this data (there are others which use Public J1939/J1708). If this trend comes into passenger vehicles (or is it already?), and we replace the ECU, the dash controllers will not work. Not a big issue as far as functionality is concerned.

I think we have gone way too OT. Lets get back to the thread.
Old 18th September 2007, 07:11   #72
BHPian

No inputs from any of the experts?
Old 19th September 2007, 13:23   #73
BHPian

Some options I ran across here that would suit your turbo build:
1. A t3/t04 or a t25 turbo.
2. An intercooler by size 27''x6.5''x3".
3. A 38mm wastegate.
4. A BOV.
5. A high volume fuel pump with the upgraded 380cc injectors.
6. 2.25" bent piping.
7. 2.5" down pipe.
8. Good quality silicone hosing & steel braided lines.
9. A standalone preffered but even the emanage/ emanage ultimate
10. Definately a wideband o2 if you planning on doing some tuning ur self half the time.
11. An AFR and boost gauge, a boost controller and a FPR(which you already have).
12. Will have to custom make the manifold cos there are not avilable of the shelf here(where I stay, or I haven't found one yet).
By the way the e-III is one of the crappiest of ecu I have come across, and as maruthi says the g16 in India an all aluminium so I guess it could hold upto 7psi in stock, and I would suggest stock compression or a max of 10.2 and could also go in with a mild cam(which I know is hard to find of the shelf)something over stock and within 270... Well for anything over 7psi as all suggest you have to go fully forged on the internals and for the pressure created for that bang i would suggest you look for g16a block but mostly you crank position sensor will have to be retro-fitted(will check on that and let you know). And by the way only the of the shelf parts here in the US minus the manifold and standalone or piggyback will come close to $3000+shipping and An additional $800 for a emanage ultimate with a universal wiring harness.
Old 19th September 2007, 15:54   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by memo45_m View Post
1. A t3/t04 or a t25 turbo.
2. An intercooler by size 27''x6.5''x3".
3. A 38mm wastegate.
4. A BOV.
5. A high volume fuel pump with the upgraded 380cc injectors.
6. 2.25" bent piping.
7. 2.5" down pipe.
8. Good quality silicone hosing & steel braided lines.
9. A standalone preffered but even the emanage/ emanage ultimate
10. Definately a wideband o2 if you planning on doing some tuning ur self half the time.
11. An AFR and boost gauge, a boost controller and a FPR(which you already have).
12. Will have to custom make the manifold cos there are not avilable of the shelf here(where I stay, or I haven't found one yet).
Bang on target but would still go with the t25 for daily drivability and would go for the t3 / t4 for race applications only best option in the t3/t4 option is the t04e - 50 trim but please realise this turbo is specifically designed for motors more than 2 lit in capacity hence will tend to spool a lot later.
Old 19th September 2007, 21:04   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho View Post
would still go with the t25 for daily drivability and would go for the t3 / t4 for race applications
giving the choice to decide weather one wants a daily drive that would last them at least 20k kms, or one that will allow you to go further in case planned so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho View Post
best option in the t3/t4 option is the t04e - 50 trim but please realise this turbo is specifically designed for motors more than 2 lit in capacity hence will tend to spool a lot later.
ya sorry my mistake that i forgot to put the t3/t4e - 50 trim, but again just giving it as an option and considering the fact that the turbo was to spool at somewhere at 3500rpm and with options like i would want 16psi in say a max of 7-8 times a year it was an option.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks