Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2007, 10:52   #76
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Mohnish, thanks a ton for taking the effort to explain some stuff. Though, from people who have already carried out turbo projects I have heard that stock components (including the G16 conrods) can hold upto 15psi. Anything over this and the outcome is :

Mod Note: Link to photographs added: www.teamswift.com
Mcl, you know the rules, please provide a link to items taken from another forum/site.

Last edited by Rtech : 25th September 2007 at 13:42.
Old 24th September 2007, 07:35   #77
BHPian

Well I did get to know that the stock block and internals can hold upto 15psi(before i posted the list of parts) but not for too long they last a few 100kms before the yeild, not only do the rods bend and crack the pistons they also punch a hole in the block. By the way thats the reason I put the setup which can take you to 1 bar, but it can also be setup for safe daily driving without causing major harm to the engine at 7psi, I don't see the necessity for someone to go above that for daily driving as it of no use in a city like bangalore nor on the highways where we frequently meet road-blockers on a high frequency, but for a drag or for track you could go upto the 1 bar extent only that you might have to return the car back on a truck for blowing the block, plus this is like the best budget consistent and reliable bulid I have come across here... the prices given are those of brand new parts.

Last edited by memo45_m : 24th September 2007 at 07:37. Reason: additions
Old 25th September 2007, 08:05   #78
BANNED

Update on the car: Finally the car went in for some damage control. Annoyingly,for starters, somehow the piston rings made of some special material (don't ask me the name, I can never remember it) were gone. Further prodding revealed a gap of 12 tau almost twice the stipulated gap I am told. So it was time for some quick and wise decisions. Out go the 76mm pistons (since finding replacement pistons in that size for a Suzi is quite time consuming). Got brand new sleeves in. Block has gone for re-sleeving it back to 75mm. In go stock baleno pistons, in goes the stock crank in lieu of the forged crank. Block is being readied as we speak.

Head is perfectly fine and has no issues. I guess, the only problem faced was the real high CR that was taking its toll on the block. Only gripe was the HUGE amounts of money I lost. Almost amounting to upwards of 1.3L I had invested on this build for the labour, forged crank and conrods, cam, pistons, rebuilds etc. All of these are out, but it won't be fun to drive around in a stock car. Specially when you are used to that kind of power. But power is no use without reliability and the sacrifices one needs to make to achieve that.

Gearbox is being inspected once as a preliminary measure to check for any signs of damage. Will be getting updates on it shortly. One of the injectors has gone kaput, so need to find out if I could get a replacement under warranty. So all in all, car will run like this for a couple of months at least.

Thinking of sending the car into the paint booth and get it painted in white. Still unsure on what colour to choose. White? Black? Red? Or maintain the original colour? Bonnet needs a replacement, planning to get one made of fiber glass. Just waiting for the car to come back from the engine rebuild, complete the running in and decide on the colour.
Old 25th September 2007, 13:37   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
One of the injectors has gone kaput, so need to find out if I could get a replacement under warranty.

Still unsure on what colour to choose. White? Black? Red? Or maintain the original colour? Bonnet needs a replacement, planning to get one made of fiber glass.
Hey stumpy, i wonder how maruti will replace the injector under warranty considering your car was modded. But nevertheless, all the best.

Please maintain the original color. No point spending on paint when the car is still getting ogled at. Use the dough for the planned mod's... or better still throw a party for us all.

Get a CF hood. Worth the dough.
Old 25th September 2007, 13:50   #80
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Hey stumpy, i wonder how maruti will replace the injector under warranty considering your car was modded. But nevertheless, all the best.

Please maintain the original color. No point spending on paint when the car is still getting ogled at. Use the dough for the planned mod's... or better still throw a party for us all.

depends on how well you know the workshop.
Old 25th September 2007, 13:58   #81
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
There are plenty of ways to work around this . Will keep you informed IF i manage it.

Quote:
Car is in quite a bad shape wrt to paint. All the paint from the bonnet, bumpers, quarter panels has chipped off completely making it look real bad. Somehow, the paint job done last time was not good. So was planning to get the car back to looking nice.

Quote:
Not worth the money, when you could get a fibre hood with a CF replica sticker for way less. When it comes to weight, the difference is ok when you compare the prices. Besides it really doesn't make much of a difference unless you are seriously looking into racing. And I am not.

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 25th September 2007 at 14:00.
Old 25th September 2007, 14:06   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Further prodding revealed a gap of 12 tau almost twice the stipulated gap I am told.
What you are referring to is called as "Piston to Wall Clearance". All factory & aftermarket pistons have this clearance mention in their catlog. Cause piston expands when it gets heated up, this clearance gives sufficient room for expansion when pistons are running on high loads, that doesnt mean you can still get away with bad tuning.
The Clearance specifies that You have to be in that range for your pistons to work optimum. too less & you will scrape your cylinder liners & pistons skirts when the engine is run hard and it expands fast & when its loose, you loose compression & rings dont seal & they ultimately give away.

for eg: The Pistons i am running requires piston to wall clearance of 0.0035

What was your clearance when you put those 76mm pistons? You need proper tools to measure that which mostly most machine shop guys have.
Old 25th September 2007, 14:22   #83
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Rocam View Post
when its loose, you loose compression & rings dont seal & they ultimately give away.
I guess this is exactly what has happened.
Quote:
What was your clearance when you put those 76mm pistons? You need proper tools to measure that which mostly most machine shop guys have.
No idea Jitu. I didn't bother much into the details at that point of time. I just came to know that the clearance should be around 4-5 tau (?). Not so sure about the number, but I certainly remember that the gap now as 12 tau.
Old 25th September 2007, 14:22   #84
BHPian

The ring gap should be higher for forged pistons. Since they expand when warmed up, they need higher clearance than normal cast ones.

Rahul, cant you still use the forged crank with stock pistons or are the rods of diff length? I think a solid bottom end will lead to better reliability.

Remember you wanting a white baleno, if you getting a full paint job get it done professinoally in a paint booth.

If you are going turbo with a topmounted intercooler you may want a scoop. Think ahead when making your bonnet, or leave the fibre bonnet till you get that tubro.
Old 25th September 2007, 14:27   #85
BANNED

Sorry Robin, I forgot to mention the links. Posted from a cell phone in a hurry. Wont happen in the future. Totally slipped my mind.
Old 25th September 2007, 14:39   #86
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydiablo View Post
The ring gap should be higher for forged pistons. Since they expand when warmed up, they need higher clearance than normal cast ones.
Mohit, the pistons I had were not forged. Only the crank & conrods were. I had ordered a set of forged 76mm pistons but canceled it at the last moment. After figuring out how difficult it was to source 76mm piston rings for my current pistons, I though it was best to stick to stuff that is easily available here which is 75mm. Incase even if I loose a set of rings or pistons I can always go back to stock until the time I can ship down a replacement rather than keeping the car idle not being able to source 76mm pistons.

Quote:
Rahul, cant you still use the forged crank with stock pistons or are the rods of diff length? I think a solid bottom end will lead to better reliability.
The thing is, the forged conrods were about 2mm taller than the stock baleno rods. The crank is about 1.5mm shorter. The pistons were 3mm taller than stock. So sold off the conrods & crank so that I could get tailor made ones with the perfect sizes than trying to do a compromise.

Quote:
Remember you wanting a white baleno, if you getting a full paint job get it done professinoally in a paint booth.
Exactly what I have in mind. Planning to visit RNS for a quote. Unless some of you can suggest me a better alternative.

Quote:
If you are going turbo with a topmounted intercooler you may want a scoop. Think ahead when making your bonnet, or leave the fibre bonnet till you get that tubro.
The intercooler will be front mount rather than top mount. Honestly speaking I have this in mind.

PS job is done by SRK.
Old 25th September 2007, 15:09   #87
Team-BHP Support

mclaren - what happened to this?
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/459125-post304.html
Old 25th September 2007, 15:12   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Exactly what I have in mind. Planning to visit RNS for a quote. Unless some of you can suggest me a better alternative.
Yeah, Pandit & Co.,
53, Okhla Industrial Estate - III
New Delhi.

Old 25th September 2007, 16:24   #89
BANNED

Akshay, the PS job that you made I was told will be quite difficult to implement. Since the dimensions will have to calculated by rough estimates to make sure everything gels well. And the very nature of the front bumpers, side skirts being from various other designs the whole kit as such might not get the desired finish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Yeah, Pandit & Co.,
53, Okhla Industrial Estate - III
New Delhi.

Sure, just deposit 50k into my account and I'll leave immediately.
Old 25th September 2007, 16:37   #90
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Akshay, the PS job that you made I was told will be quite difficult to implement. Since the dimensions will have to calculated by rough estimates to make sure everything gels well. And the very nature of the front bumpers, side skirts being from various other designs the whole kit as such might not get the desired finish.
Sure, just deposit 50k into my account and I'll leave immediately.
. i thought so too. was quite a mix up but looked pretty good.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks