Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2010, 12:18   #796
BHPian

Hi Wildon, Thanks tons!

I just noticed that you added a '0'. I was given just 16 digits by the dealer. Is that the correct place to insert the 0 ? Could you please explain why? I am getting the insurance done myself so definitely need the correct chassis number.
Old 20th June 2010, 12:23   #797
BANNED

You missed one Zero from that VIN so i added it. Yes its in the correct place.
In April Month the serial was like 012*** . So your's is 018***. That means from April - May, some around 6000+ vehicles they have manufactured.

Last edited by wildon : 20th June 2010 at 12:26.
Old 20th June 2010, 12:24   #798
BHPian

Thanks Wildon. 5 stars for your promptness and explanation - this thread rocks!
Old 20th June 2010, 13:07   #799
BHPian

Great thread.
Read few of the interactions with BMI and Wildon.
Just a doubt.Isn't VIN a public information,which is published by all automobile companies?

Whats wrong in decoding them?
How will it come under illegal info?
Old 20th June 2010, 17:02   #800
BANNED

The Problem is that in India no Manufacturer/ Dealer will give you the production details/Service history of your vehicle. This is because they say it is not mandatory.

You ask the dealer how you can find out whether my car is Euro 4 or Euro 3, they say only company knows or ask the ARAI who certify it !!

There is no law to protect the customer from bad things, if anything is there at all its easy for them to drag it for years.

The manufacturers may give you details to some extent but later they will ask you to contact the Authorized dealers.

Some dealers are good, but most of them doesn't gives you proper info even if you ask also. I have some good friends in some dealerships, even though they know the manufacturing/ repairing details they acts as they doesn't know at all.

Why they are hiding this from us !!,

I have checked 70+ vehicles of my colleagues , mostly Maruti (Sorry i'm not pin pointing one particular manufacturer here, as most of my friends owns a maruti) and found that most of them who bought the car in January/February/March expecting the new model has been cheated as they have been given November/December cars of previous year.

The car may be fresh and good , but why cheating !! saying that its s new year's model . Some cars do met with accidents before delivery, but the unfortunate customer doesn't knows at all.

So whom to blame !! ME because i'm trying to educate the customer to a particular extent , or the dealer/Manufacturer who doesn't want me here to post all, and says i'm doing illegal things .

Last edited by wildon : 20th June 2010 at 17:05.
Old 20th June 2010, 17:08   #801
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildon View Post
The Problem is that in India no Manufacturer/ Dealer will give you the production details/Service history of your vehicle. This is because they say it is not mandatory.

You ask the dealer how you can find out whether my car is Euro 4 or Euro 3, they say only company knows or ask the ARAI who certify it !!

There is no law to protect the customer from bad things, if anything is there at all its easy for them to drag it for years.

The manufacturers may give you details to some extent but later they will ask you to contact the Authorized dealers.

Some dealers are good, but most of them doesn't gives you proper info even if you ask also. I have some good friends in some dealerships, even though they know the manufacturing/ repairing details they acts as they doesn't know at all.

Why they are hiding this from us !!,

I have checked 70+ vehicles of my colleagues , mostly Maruti (Sorry i'm not pin pointing one particular manufacturer here, as most of my friends owns a maruti) and found that most of them who bought the car in January/February/March expecting the new model has been cheated as they have been given November/December cars of previous year.

The car may be fresh and good , but why cheating !! saying that its s new year's model . Some cars do met with accidents before delivery, but the unfortunate customer doesn't knows at all.

So whom to blame !! ME because i'm trying to educate the customer to a particular extent , or the dealer/Manufacturer who doesn't want me here to post all, and says i'm doing illegal things .
Yes.I fully agree with the first point.We don't have much laws to protect the customer. Thats why we face numerous issues,be it in automobile,banking or any other sector.

I'm sure groups likes ours (T-BHP) can act as a mediaum and create more awareness in customers, thus forcing these manufactures/dealers to give us more info.

Its because of groups like this,we've the RTI act available now.I'm sure educated masses can change any draconian rules.

Lets all fight together.
Old 20th June 2010, 17:23   #802
Senior - BHPian

Dear Wildon,
Kindly check this as well MAKGM253EAN1106097

The dealer said that this is new Euro4 and thus prices have gone up yet again. I want to double check with you.

Thanks!

5* for help
Old 20th June 2010, 17:31   #803
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r View Post
MAKGM253EAN1106097
Its a May 2010 Manufactured Honda City, So it must be Euro IV for sure.
Old 20th June 2010, 18:06   #804
Senior - BHPian

^ Thanks dude, I will have to pay more now arrrgh
Old 20th June 2010, 18:44   #805
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykal shoemaker View Post
Whats wrong in decoding them?
How will it come under illegal info?
It becomes illegal when manufacturers sites are hacked or used by stolen passwords. This tantamounts to section 500 of ipc - cybercrime

If legal means are used there is no problem at all, actually decoding a VIN is not a rocket science as you all think, certain alphabet denotes month of production and the year is any way given by a number and thats it!
Old 20th June 2010, 19:08   #806
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimi View Post
It becomes illegal when manufacturers sites are hacked or used by stolen passwords. This tantamounts to section 500 of ipc - cybercrime

If legal means are used there is no problem at all, actually decoding a VIN is not a rocket science as you all think, certain alphabet denotes month of production and the year is any way given by a number and thats it!
Exactly my point.
Every serial number or barcode says certain information and its in public domain.
These are not company confidential or restricted information.Hence sharing the knowledge between members doesn't break any Indian rules.Infact many companies do provide this information to public.

In India we may not have the VIN as standard.But as more and more international vehicle manufacturers are entering India,soon it'll become a standard.
Old 20th June 2010, 21:16   #807
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimi View Post

Also its not a rocket science as you think to get the Date of production too. Regarding the IPC Sections.. well i don't need to break any rules to get those infos. Also there are some IPC Sections out there too for putting false charges on some one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykal shoemaker View Post
Exactly my point.
Every serial number or barcode says certain information and its in public domain.
These are not company confidential or restricted information.Hence sharing the knowledge between members doesn't break any Indian rules.Infact many companies do provide this information to public.

In India we may not have the VIN as standard.But as more and more international vehicle manufacturers are entering India,soon it'll become a standard.
VIN varies from Country to Country or you can say continent to continent. In USA , Europe you can get the A-Z info of your purchased Vehicle/ second hand vehicles. There are professional services out there to help the customers. They have strict laws so manufacturers have to pay for the price if something goes wrong.

Even the manufacturers websites gives the definition of each letter of VIN for general info. What about here , we treated differently here.

When i purchased my i20 from Hyundai, i have asked the VIN info to the company as well as the dealer, what was the result ?!! no help at all from these guys.

At present as per my knowledge VIN is standard here as well.

Also i'm working on a web interface in which any one can input a VIN and in return they will get the desired result on screen.
Old 21st June 2010, 17:45   #808
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildon View Post
ENZ is May 2010. Its an error happened from RTO side. Yes you can get it correct the RC.
Talked to my dealer today and they said they have talked to the RTO people. They said they can't change it as it is a smart card and they would have to cancel it and then issue a fresh one. Since, it's only the manufacturing date, they will not change it . How stupid can it get? They made a mistake of typing 'R' instead of 'Y' and the date has changed from May to March, and now they are not willing to correct their mistake either :( .

Do i have any way to get this changed ?
Old 21st June 2010, 17:52   #809
BHPian

@Wildon: Thanks for your active contribution in this thread. I was beating my head trying to decode the following chassis number: MAT611457APC28445. Please help me in understanding it.
Old 21st June 2010, 19:57   #810
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newpunter View Post
Talked to my dealer today and they said they have talked to the RTO people. They said they can't change it as it is a smart card and they would have to cancel it and then issue a fresh one. Since, it's only the manufacturing date, they will not change it . How stupid can it get? They made a mistake of typing 'R' instead of 'Y' and the date has changed from May to March, and now they are not willing to correct their mistake either :( .

Do i have any way to get this changed ?
Go to the RTO and explain it, they will issue a new one with the updated details. Take the Copies of form which dealer has submitted it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSEA View Post
@Wildon: Thanks for your active contribution in this thread. I was beating my head trying to decode the following chassis number: MAT611457APC28445. Please help me in understanding it.
Its a March 2010 Manufactured vehicle. Can you tell me which TATA vehicle is this?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed