Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2007, 12:36   #16
BHPian

@ Rahul: I don't think both of you may be having the same problem pal.... just my 2c.

@ GTO: I have a similar setup on my OHC 1.5 but with a K&N stock replacement filter. Had been to Sundaram Honda to get my injectors cleaned and the chief technician (a good friend) there checked out my Greddy headers. He said the O2 sensor position might need to be checked because it seemed to have been mounted a bit higher than what it should be. But since my engine was running smooth on Idle he did not want to do anything as yet. The symptoms he described were the same as what you are experiencing now so you might want to get the O2 sensor checked.

I hope this helps.... am going in for a greencotton CAI in couple of days so will know if that made any difference to idling.
Old 10th September 2007, 13:13   #17
Team-BHP Support

I have a k&n and greddy headers and have no problems.

My guess is that the occassional use and the corrosive mumbai air has tarnished the sensors
Old 10th September 2007, 13:23   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
This had happened about two months back, but rectified itself automatically.
looks to be some loose connections or dust in idle IAC valve, A clean up & some WD40 on conectors should help.
Old 10th September 2007, 14:36   #19
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thanks guys. So its either a loose connection, leak, IAC or 02 sensors? Will have it checked and update this thread.
Old 11th September 2007, 03:47   #20
BHPian

could be IAC could be ICM
(a)test for IAC ..may sound silly.
Let your car idle, block the air intake with palm of your hand, see if the engine dies. If it dies your IAC circuit is fine you have no leaks.
If it continues to breathe you know where to look.

(b)Ask you dealer to check the ICM also..basically your ECU will tell your ICM to provide the correct primrary voltage to the coils, even if the IACV is fine and gives correct info to the ECU, the ICM may not be able to respond correctly to the ECU if its screwed up and you could get rough idle, so ask ur dealer to open up the distributor also and check the voltages with wire and body etc etc.

Last edited by chetanhanda : 11th September 2007 at 03:48.
Old 11th September 2007, 03:58   #21
Team-BHP Support

In carburetted cars a dirty carb or fuel filter could cause, this, wonder whether its the same for MPFI ones too?
Old 11th September 2007, 04:01   #22
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
In carburetted cars a dirty carb or fuel filter could cause, this, wonder whether its the same for MPFI ones too?
Possible Tanveer. A busted fuel filter. Will know for sure tomorrow since I am changing my fuel filter, oil filter and moving over to Shell Helix Ultra. Apart from getting the electronics and the IACV checked.
Old 11th September 2007, 08:28   #23
Senior - BHPian

if the engine hunts when cold..and disappear when hot..could be nothing major..
Old 11th September 2007, 08:52   #24
BHPian

I too am facing the same issue!

will spray around WD40 and see if it helps.
Old 11th September 2007, 18:50   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetanhanda View Post
could be IAC could be ICM
(a)test for IAC ..may sound silly.
Let your car idle, block the air intake with palm of your hand, see if the engine dies. If it dies your IAC circuit is fine you have no leaks.
If it continues to breathe you know where to look.
Is this info from a service manual or something you came up with? I would assume that IAV is still drawing air from the intake but just bypassing the TB. So, if you block the intake you are cutting off air to IAV also.
Old 12th September 2007, 01:28   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Is this info from a service manual or something you came up with?
No, I came up with this, I screw around a lot with my d16 vtec
I think Haynes manual suggests disconnecting the IAC from the TB and the main circuit and supplying it a external power supply to see if it reacts correctly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
I would assume that IAV is still drawing air from the intake but just bypassing the TB. So, if you block the intake you are cutting off air to IAV also.
U are assuming right ..basically bypass the throttleplate, thats exactly why I was saying bock the intake and see , becoz IAC needs air which has passed thru the airfilter, IACV wont use unfltered air...
The idle issue is occurring when the Throttle position = 0, in GTO's engine so at this point we are getting higher surges of rpm above 800 rpm, so possibly there could be more air being supplied..
IACV is supposed to keep the engine alive when Throttle position = 0, so at idle IAC is the only source supposed to keep the engine alive.

If u dont have any leaks anywhere the engine should die out...

we need to consider the ICM also..
Old 12th September 2007, 01:33   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilver View Post
@ Rahul: I don't think both of you may be having the same problem pal.... just my 2c.

@ GTO: I have a similar setup on my OHC 1.5 but with a K&N stock replacement filter. Had been to Sundaram Honda to get my injectors cleaned and the chief technician (a good friend) there checked out my Greddy headers. He said the O2 sensor position might need to be checked because it seemed to have been mounted a bit higher than what it should be. But since my engine was running smooth on Idle he did not want to do anything as yet
so you are saying the o2 sensor was mounted a bit more upstream so it may possibly disturb the idle of the engine ... ?
Old 12th September 2007, 15:43   #28
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Well, it was actually a smaller problem than I thought. No problem with the sensors or anything......there was carbon build-up on the throttle body.

I sent the Honda over to Arya Honda, since I am very happy with the service Shaman (same group) has given my Indigo. They cleant it up on the same day and car is back to smooth purring.

Thanks for all the help, guys!
Old 12th September 2007, 16:15   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
there was carbon build-up on the throttle body.
Hmmm. Carbon on the throttle body? That doesn't sound right. Maybe they meant the same thing as mentioned here...dirty MAF sensor.
Old 12th September 2007, 16:38   #30
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I thought so too, until I did a google and found its a common occurence.

BTW I did ask them to clean the sensors "just in case".

Most Viewed