Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2007, 18:38   #1
BHPian

M800 Troubles...

Currently I'm in my native place and since I have no means of transport available during the day (Dad uses the only car in the house), I'm using a 1998 M800 4-speed Carb version a friend lend me very kindly. The car has not been used much, in fact it has only 22K genuine kilometers on the clock. The car was being serviced periodically and was running well when it was handed over to me around a month back.

I had done some 200-300 kms on the car (all within city) until last weekend. On Saturday, when I cranked the car in the morning, it started normally. But when I revved the engine, it wasn't revving freely. Sounded something like when a vehicle runs out of fuel. I just thought that the engine may be cold and hence let it idle for 30 seconds or so and set off.

I had barely gone a few hundred meters when the car stalled. (Hadn't been out of first gear because of the traffic in the congested area). I pushed it onto the shoulder and called my friend who came with an unknown mechanic.

He popped the hood, removed the airfilter, opened the distributor and checked all the spark plugs. He was trying to remove the fuel line off the carburettor when it simply broke (old rubber, I guess). He replaced the fuel line, started the engine and it was revving freely. I parked the car back at my place and decided to get it checked at the workshop which maintains the car.

On Monday, I tried to start the car but it refused to start this time. I called the workshop and a mechanic came down who went thru' the same ordeal again i.e. remove airfilter, open distributor and check spark plugs. He then declared that the point condensor was 'shorting' and hence needed to be replaced (I later came to know that it was replaced at the last service just before the car was handed over to me). I asked him to replace the same but it did not rectify the problem. He asked me to replace the air filter as well. I promptly did the same. The car somehow started after 10 minutes of coaxing and we made it to the workshop somehow.

The workshop guys were flummoxed by the problem but wouldn't give in. They opened the carburettor and showed me the dust that had been accumulated within it. The carb and jets were cleaned and gaskets were replaced. Took close to 3 hrs. I drove the car for around 8-10 kilometers before heading back home. The problem seemed to have disappeared. However, just 100 meters before I reached home, the car started to jerk again. I somehow parked it and when I revved the engine- to my dismay the same problem had resurfaced. The engine isn't revving freely again. I am yet to inform the workshop guys about it. I cannot deduce what the problem is and what is its source?

Please note that my driving style can be termed as pretty enthusiastic. I shifted into second between 30-40 kph, third between 60-70 kph and fourth only above 75 kph. So mostly I'm in second gear in the city. Also at all times, there is at least 5 litres of fuel in the tank. The fuel needle is almost 1/4 way up on the fuel gauge.

Sorry for the long post. Thought it would be best if I put down every detail as it took place to ensure that I miss nothing. Please pour in your suggestions about what you think the issue might be, keeping all the above facts in mind.

Thanks.
Old 11th September 2007, 23:17   #2
Team-BHP Support

fuel filter first, then air filter, then to points and finally to carbs, yes fuel pump is another grey area. if its a sparingly used car clean tank also.

check for electrical connection to distributor also
Old 12th September 2007, 02:31   #3
Senior - BHPian

Ignition coil? Has that been looked into. Simple test, when the car refuses to start, take one of the plug wires off and point the lead to around 10 mm from a body edge. Then crank the car, if you have a arc then the fault is on your fuel pump/line (as the carbs already been cleaned)

If ignition coil has gone bad or is acting up after catching some heat, try enclosing the ignition coil in some wet cloth and then try to start after allowing it to cool for a minute or two. However, this does not seem like your case as your car has starting problems even from cold.

Last edited by 1100D : 12th September 2007 at 02:33.
Old 12th September 2007, 10:22   #4
BHPian

Hi DoomsDay, based on the "jerking" that you seem to be experiencing, I would hazard a guess & say that you seem to have a fuel problem. Since your points & air-filter are new, have your fuel-filter checked ? Also, ensure your battery terminals are making good contact. A carb M800, so it should be pre-2000 right ? And only 22000 kms on the odo, was the car not used for long periods of time ? If the fuel-filter's clogged up, you could also have the fuel-tank check out, just in case.

My previous car was an M800 too, & the engine would occasionally die on me when the A/C was working. The problem was totally random, & the service center, after much persuasion, took up the challenge. They finally tracked it down to a fuel vaporization problem. I was told they had to run car on a stand for 3 hours with the A/C on before the problem surfaced !

And I know a M800 where the rod in the fuel pump that moves the diaphragm was soldered & not riveted, the joint gave way & the car was stranded during a trip on the highway. It was put on it's feet by the expedient of the passenger holding on to a can of fuel, & a siphon line directly to the carb ! On confrontation, Maruti informed the owner that it was indeed a manufacturing mistake & that a silent recall had been initiated. They also replaced the broken pump with an imported one. As far as I know, the car is still running around on that pump, & this story is a good 20 years old !?!
Old 12th September 2007, 10:47   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
fuel filter first, then air filter, then to points and finally to carbs, yes fuel pump is another grey area. if its a sparingly used car clean tank also.

check for electrical connection to distributor also
The fuel filter, the oil filter and the points were replaced during the routine service about a month ago. The air filter has been replaced now as well. Yes, the car is very sparingly used. Done only 22K in about 9 years. So I guess tank cleaning is the next step.

Just for general info, why should one clean the fuel tank if the car is sparingly used?
Old 12th September 2007, 10:52   #6
Senior - BHPian

How about the float and valve assembly not allowing enough fuel or a vaccume leak in the valve assembly due to the rubber ring wearing out in the assembly?This would definately cause the car to loose vaccume and lead to bad pickup and mileage dont know about the shutting down part though.
Old 12th September 2007, 11:08   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
fuel filter first, then air filter, then to points and finally to carbs, yes fuel pump is another grey area. if its a sparingly used car clean tank also.check for electrical connection to distributor also
This cud be the probable cause! The inside wall of tank would've rusted and the rust particles might be entering fuel lines resulting chocking of fuel supply! Get this checked first! Check whether there is water inside also!

Secondly, the electrical area! Let us know whether the engine cranks or not when you try to restart the engine!
Old 12th September 2007, 11:34   #8
Senior - BHPian

I also think that the issue could be because of fuel from a rusty tank , had same issues with an Alto. get the tank cleaned out.. before trying out anything else and i expect that you will not need to look any further
Old 12th September 2007, 14:08   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkibike View Post
This cud be the probable cause! The inside wall of tank would've rusted and the rust particles might be entering fuel lines resulting chocking of fuel supply! Get this checked first! Check whether there is water inside also!

Secondly, the electrical area! Let us know whether the engine cranks or not when you try to restart the engine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellstar View Post
I also think that the issue could be because of fuel from a rusty tank , had same issues with an Alto. get the tank cleaned out.. before trying out anything else and i expect that you will not need to look any further
Tank cleaning then, seems to be the way to go. I'll check with the workshop today and will post the updates. Thanks for the suggestions guys and keep them coming.
Old 12th September 2007, 16:19   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by doomsday View Post
Please note that my driving style can be termed as pretty enthusiastic. I shifted into second between 30-40 kph, third between 60-70 kph and fourth only above 75 kph. So mostly I'm in second gear in the city. Also at all times, there is at least 5 litres of fuel in the tank. The fuel needle is almost 1/4 way up on the fuel gauge.
I would have not given my car to you. Sorry boss it is 800. Try to be little bit soft with the car.

Get it checked at proper ***

Last edited by vivek_pinkoo : 12th September 2007 at 16:22.
Old 12th September 2007, 21:38   #11
BHPian

Clarification

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek_pinkoo View Post
I would have not given my car to you. Sorry boss it is 800. Try to be little bit soft with the car.
I'm not driving the way I mentioned just because it is someone else's vehicle. I believe in using what each gear has to offer before I shift into the next. Be it my Dad's Baleno, my HH Karizma, a friend's Splendor or a M800. It is just the style of driving which I prefer 90% of the times when I am driving/riding. Thats all. I believe that engine are meant to be revved and not slouched. Although which is the first one to break down is a different issue altogether.
doomsday is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2007, 15:40   #12
BHPian

UPDATE: The "Head" Mechanic from the aforementioned workshop came down to inspect the car.(Since it was not in a condition to be driven to the workshop). The engine was cranking and sputtering to a start, but the idling was not stable and the engine was not revving freely and smoothly. He took out one of the spark plug connector, checked if current was flowing ideally and after sometime declared that the Ignition Coil was busted. Just after a minute or so of trying to rev the engine, the coil was boiling hot.

What happened was this. The bunch of wires from the alternator, lights etc. had broken free and were coming in continuous contact of the fan belt. As a result some wires were shorted. This consequently shorted the Ignition Coil; which in turn shorted the point condenser. Hence, the ignition timing was disturbed which lead to uneven idling and revving.

The last mechanic who had come down to inspect the car, just saw the point condenser shorted and hence replaced it. That was the reason the car ran for a few kilometers before it was busted again. So the Ignition Coil and the point condenser have been replaced and the wiring has been redone and secured properly. The total bill including labor costs came to Rs. 850. Hope this is the end of the M800 trouble...

P.S. The car is running even better now. I can take it upto 85 before I shift into fourth. The little 3-pot mill has a lot of juice, I must say. However, the brakes are horrible, even for the car of its size and power. I say slap on some fat rubber, some upgraded brakes and we have a nice hot hatch which is not a pain to live and cheap to run and maintain.

Oops almost forgot... A big thanks to all who contributed to the thread and helped me troubleshoot this niggle. Thank you all.

Last edited by Zappo : 14th September 2007 at 13:05.
doomsday is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2007, 17:40   #13
BHPian

hi maruti 800 2001 DX mpfi 5 gear

My maruti is creating a strange problem. My engine had a problem of overheating, so i gave it for a service to mechanic who was working with a maruti authorised service station. He changed gasket, radiator. Now the overheating problem is rectified but my temperature meter always shows full but in ac it always in the middle further to this if u start the vehicle it has been raising to the full level within few minutes for the past two days, the mechanic changed temp switch, radiator switch, all earth connections and temp meter but the problem hasn't yet solved. Someone pls help me out.
Old 13th September 2007, 23:08   #14
Team-BHP Support

@prasanna: your radiator fan might not be working and the when ac is on the ac fan/circuit is cooling.

@dooms: glad to know it was sorted
Old 14th September 2007, 12:49   #15
BHPian

Pls help me out from this problem.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks