Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2007, 16:39   #1
BHPian

Issues with Headers - Alto

Team,

Has anyone else done headers in a 3 cyl Alto? The Steel-Wool get's burned up really fast in my car, The result is an annoying sound to which is not really 'Music to ears' One solution that my installer has suggested is to go for a SS Expansion chamber and End-can,

What do you guys think the reason for this can be or do I have any other alternative other than going for the SS Chamber and end can?

All inputs would be valuable

Thanks in advance
Old 12th September 2007, 18:13   #2
Senior - BHPian

Our Tbhp member, speedzak has headers on his alto.

Contact him for any clarifications.

I faced a similar issue in my car (esteem with 4x1 headers) where there was way too much flutter from the end can. Sounded more like an interstate bus. But i switched to a SS muffler and now... problem solved.

A SS muffler wont cost more than 5k and you get a lot of mugen, magnaflow replica's in the market.
Old 13th September 2007, 13:08   #3
BHPian

Hey thanks @n_adityaI had asked zak regarding this, and he also gave me the same reply, I cannot go for mugen or magnaflow replicas, It would look wierd on my alto, I already have an option for a custom SS muffler which is not as huge as the mugen or magnaflow replicas and expansion chamber,

However I wanted to know if there are any other options rather than this
Old 13th September 2007, 13:41   #4
BANNED

Hey! I did reply yesterday. But for some reason the post didn't appear here it seems. Posted from my phone.

I had Automech FFE installed in my Alto. It was mild steel one and it did last all the while till the car did. I didn't have to change the steel wool even once. And it was more than a year or so.
Could you please check if there is any leakages in your exhaust? Especially near the joints. Who did the installation for you? Did you speak to the people who made the headers for you?
Old 13th September 2007, 13:52   #5
BHPian

Thank you zakko, I got my headers done from Raj, , They suspect water seeping inside the expansion chamber and as a result the Glass-wool burns faster than it should so yes it can be a leak somewhere. Is there a simple way of checking it?

Advice was to go for a SS expansion chamber and a Muffler, I wanted to know if there is any other option available?
Old 13th September 2007, 14:03   #6
Senior - BHPian

A bit offtopic:

how long do the MS headers, pipes, expansion chamber last?

@ zak - the exhaust in your alto is back to stock?
Old 13th September 2007, 14:16   #7
BANNED

A very simple way of checking for leaks is to choke the engine. Yes! using some force, block the exhaust outlet while the engine is running. If it stops immediately, then there can't be a leak. If it carries on running (even if it is for sometime), or produces some leaking noises you can suspect a leak or two.

Oh my Alto! It is in a totalled state now! It had a BEEEG stunt and is almost beyond repair.
Old 13th September 2007, 14:49   #8
BHPian

Yeah, That is a very innovative way to check for leaks if any, Thanks Zakko,

I didnt know about your car, Sorry about that? Is it a Total loss? Are you planning to bring it back to life????

Planet rocker, As far as I know anywhere between 1-1 1/2 years, Again there are cases wherin the same has been used for 3 or 4 years without any issues, A lot depends on your driving style
Old 13th September 2007, 14:57   #9
Tapan

Hi,

This type of problem exists in alto ? I have bought one just now and its weird to hear this.! :(

Thanks.

Old 13th September 2007, 15:59   #10
BHPian

Hey Tapan ... Trust me you dont have headers in your new alto.. So you dont worry about this... The day you get a Free Flow exhaust fitted in your car ,then you might need to visit this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapan View Post
Hi,

This type of problem exists in alto ? I have bought one just now and its weird to hear this.! :(

Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks