Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2008, 11:06   #31
BHPian

@Shyamtanu

Get your ride checked in a MASS. Sai Service Funkewadi is technically good. Contact Mr. Suresh Belgi - 9923208340.
Old 12th November 2008, 11:39   #32
Senior - BHPian

Want to try some "Home Remedy"??

Roll up all windows, turn up heater (and fan) all the way. Keep car in neutral, pull up handbrake and get out. Leave it running for 15-20 mins like this.

Logic is, hot air will kill most of the germs/fungus in AC. That is is its minor.
Old 12th November 2008, 11:54   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
the cooling coil can be cleaned. something may be there rotting inside which is giving that smell.

Remove rubber mat and fabric mat.
remove the water hole cap.
Empty the things inside the glove box and remove it. Now use the water jet (that used to clean the cars at service stations) to clean the coil housing through the circulating vents. Let it dry.

Total costs Rs.60 to the service station guy to use his powerful water jet.
Are you sure you can use the water jet so close to the instrument panel, ECM, stereo etc ? Better leave it to the experts.
Old 12th November 2008, 17:23   #34
BHPian

Quote:
the cooling coil can be cleaned. something may be there rotting inside which is giving that smell.

Remove rubber mat and fabric mat.
remove the water hole cap.
Empty the things inside the glove box and remove it. Now use the water jet (that used to clean the cars at service stations) to clean the coil housing through the circulating vents. Let it dry.

Total costs Rs.60 to the service station guy to use his powerful water jet.
To be frank, I am not that expert to do this by myself. Thanks for your and all others input though, it does seem that the problem is with the coil housing, and yess... I do keep the inside of the car truly clean... so not sure what is causing this?

Thanks Swifty2008 for the contact.
Old 12th November 2008, 21:10   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Are you sure you can use the water jet so close to the instrument panel, ECM, stereo etc ? Better leave it to the experts.
Thats when the technic/experience come handy. car electronics are very sturdy and sealed for harshest condition.
BTW stereo is quite far i am not talking about the centre console or vents that you see normally, the coil is quite below.
I did it recently, when i refitted the AC after the engine overhaul. I have a very good/expert AC mechanic. Atlantic Air, Khanpur, Ahmedabad.
People might get an idea that I am promoting him, but believe me you, Gujarat member will definitely benefit from him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyamtanu View Post
To be frank, I am not that expert to do this by myself. Thanks for your and all others input though, it does seem that the problem is with the coil housing, and yess... I do keep the inside of the car truly clean... so not sure what is causing this?

Thanks Swifty2008 for the contact.
ANy good/expert AC mechanic will clean the coil without disconnecting or releasing the gas, with a good jet of water.
Old 13th November 2008, 20:15   #36
BHPian

Quote:
BTW stereo is quite far i am not talking about the centre console or vents that you see normally, the coil is quite below.
Can you please show us any photos, will be of great help, many thanks in advance
Old 14th November 2008, 02:17   #37
Senior - BHPian

I havn't got any now, but will click and post it later.
Old 14th November 2008, 12:56   #38
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyamtanu View Post
The AC in my Alto started giving stale air with a pungent smell around 10K though I always run it on recirculation mode, with windows rolled up.
Hi there,

You try using an AC neutralizer. Its a product made by Gulf lubricants. All you have to do is buy a can (costs Rs. 350) and insert the long pipe that comes with it into your AC vents in the dashboard and spray the canister and the leave the blower on on a low speed for 15 mins to spread the cleaner thru your entire AC ducting and cooling coils..

The spray goes deep inside the AC system and cleans it leaving it free of any smell. I have used it and it works brillinatly.

Cheers,
gpa
Old 14th November 2008, 16:16   #39
BHPian

I think best option is to blow off for 5 minitues in begining and once while
with heater on.

Now as sugested above it is also good to try home vacume cleaner.
Old 20th February 2009, 01:00   #40

Pungent Odour from Air ducts

When I switch on the fan there is a pungent uncomfortable odour coming in. This happens when the air is kept to recycle and not when its pulling air from out. when the AC is on its not noticable either ways.. I have a long trip to go to in 2 days ...any way I can fix this myself or do I have to give it for a service?

Thanks.
Old 20th February 2009, 09:53   #41
gpa
Senior - BHPian

There could be some fungi and mould deposits in your AC ducting. The best way to get rid of this is to buy a can of Gulf AC Neutralizer for about Rs. 300 and use it following the instructions on the can. This will work and your AC will be rid of any pungent odours and you will get a clean fresh smell from the AC.

Cheers,
gpa
Old 20th February 2009, 10:13   #42
Senior - BHPian

Check to see if any little fella's (rat) got sucked in and breathed its last. This might also cause the pungent smell, as I read in the rat menace section on the forum itself.
Old 20th February 2009, 10:50   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by daemon View Post
When I switch on the fan there is a pungent uncomfortable odour coming in. This happens when the air is kept to recycle and not when its pulling air from out. when the AC is on its not noticable either ways.. I have a long trip to go to in 2 days ...any way I can fix this myself or do I have to give it for a service?

Thanks.
Since you're pressed for time, try this quick-fix solution.
First use the car for at least half-hour or more. This is to get the engine nice and hot.
Then park the car somewhere safe, with the engine running on idle, set the vent to outside air, set the a/c temperature to the hottest position, and put the fan on, but do not put the a/c compressor on. This will draw hot air over the a/c fins, and after ten minutes will effectively toast and kill any bacteria/fungi on the fins. You will have to stay outside the car during this exercise.
Thereafter re-set all back to your normal positions.
Old 20th February 2009, 15:08   #44
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
In case of NHC, entire dashboard has to be opened (including steering). Not a DIY, at least for me
This seems to be a problem with many new Hondas. Too many reports of the Civic, in particular, reporting this problem.

Note : Credit solely to Navin for his advice.

A friend of mine faced the same "stale air / stink" when using his Civic in the evenings. I remembered Navin posting on a similar problem, so I called him right away. Here is what the issue is : A faulty evaporator! Accumulated water (from the morning drive) was never disposed off the way it ought to be, thus resulting in fungus. Multiple visits to the Honda showroom didn't solve it for Navin, but a single visit to Four Seasons (air-con experts at Tardeo) did the trick.
Old 23rd February 2009, 15:39   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
This seems to be a problem with many new Hondas. Too many reports of the Civic, in particular, reporting this problem.

Note : Credit solely to Navin for his advice.

A friend of mine faced the same "stale air / stink" when using his Civic in the evenings. I remembered Navin posting on a similar problem, so I called him right away. Here is what the issue is : A faulty evaporator! Accumulated water (from the morning drive) was never disposed off the way it ought to be, thus resulting in fungus. Multiple visits to the Honda showroom didn't solve it for Navin, but a single visit to Four Seasons (air-con experts at Tardeo) did the trick.
Hmm...thanks Naveen and GTO.
So an evaporator coil replacement was done or a re-installation?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks