Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2015, 15:59   #91
BHPian

Re: Car Air-Conditioner Cleaning to remove bacteria & fungi

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuseinZS View Post
Ok, having tried most of the options suggested & also constant follow up with Maruti Suzuki here is the update/development with the HVAC issue;

Sorry to say but none of the solutions/suggestions suggested here helped. What helped was the persistent follow up & arm twisting with Maruti officials.
must say this is indeed a strange and surprising incident. Was doubly sure there is some problem with the evaporator coil. It is an area where lot of muc, algae, bacteria thrive. As many suggested, its a tricky area and best to not DIY. It costs around 2500 - 3500 Rs to have this checked, cleaned, remove the associated parts, remove the gas, fill it back, do a road test and ensure no issues crop up. All the best with your drive and hope you dont have any more unpleasant smell coming out.
Old 5th February 2016, 15:02   #92
BHPian

Hi All,

A friend of mine is running into the case exactly as mentioned in http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post3764922 on his Ciaz bought a couple of months back.
And Maruti service centre is not able to figure out the issue because it is not reproducible always. Any pointers as to what could be done next ?
Old 5th February 2016, 15:48   #93
BHPian

@ashokraj: Omg. Same here!

The air conditioner in my Sunny randomly starts smelling. We have to open the windows and/ or switch off the air circulation mode. I have asked the service center to check this multiple times but they haven't been able to fix it.

The problem is that the air con has a mind of it's on and it randomly starts smelling. There is no way to really check if it is gone.

In my observation, the car usually smells when the thermostat cuts off and the blower speed reduces once the set temperature is achieved.
Old 5th February 2016, 16:32   #94
BHPian

Last year I bought this spray from Wurth for cleaning the bacteria & fungi in A/c ducts, it comes with a tube attached to the nozzle end. We're supposed to put the tube into the duct & spray while slowly pulling out the tube. Then keep the A/c on with blowers in full speed for 5 minutes (with windows down ofcourse).

Park the car in an open space > complete the spraying process > turn the car ON > switch ON the A/c at full blow > roll down windows > stand a step away from the car for 5 minutes.

It'll still not smell great, but I spray some household air fragnance onto the dashboard a/c ducts.

Can be done anytime & IIRC it cost ~900/can (back then) and I used it in my car 5 times (every 2-3 months) & my neighbours car 2 times.

The ASC charges something around 1200/- for such 1 time cleaning (viz daylight robbery IMHO).
Old 6th February 2016, 19:21   #95
Senior - BHPian

I had bought the wurth can. The nozzle with tube did not come fitted and while struggling to fit it on (it was not an easy fit plus liquid kept spraying while trying to do so) the depressable nozzle attached to the can got jammed and the entire contents emptied out in a few seconds.

I better option I found was CVC cleaner foam
Old 8th February 2016, 01:03   #96
Senior - BHPian

That is not the way to use Wurth. The extra long clear plastic tube has to be inserted in to the condensate drain pipe from which the water drains out and then the contents have to be constantly sprayed for 20 seconds in to the pipe. The force of the compressing agent carries it in to the entire system and then one needs to follow the directions regarding switching on the AC/fan etc

The AC cleaner that gets sprayed in via the air ducts is the one made by Abro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkingGuru View Post
Last year I bought this spray from Wurth for cleaning the bacteria & fungi in A/c ducts, it comes with a tube attached to the nozzle end. We're supposed to put the tube into the duct & spray while slowly pulling out the tube. Then keep the A/c on with blowers in full speed for 5 minutes (with windows down ofcourse).
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2016, 07:42   #97
BHPian

There's one more option from TufKote. They have A/C Cleaner and Disinfectant sprays worked for me to get the musty smell off.

One thing that triggers musty and fungal smell is moisture. Have you guys checked if your drain pipes are not clogged cause during my last visit to MASS, what I discovered is that DZire drain pipe is actually draining on the Axel right below the engine. And since the Axle has indentations, water collects in those pockets and drains only when I brake or if the car hits a pothole. And when I check the drain pipe locations of other models, most of them are very poorly designed. In Ritz, the pipe is so small, that even a couple of grass or hay that we drive on in highways can just clog and spoil the A/C fun. In another car, I saw foam cup tea cup stuck and slush has just caked on it.

Kindly check if drain pipes of your cars are well designed to drain away from car body. Also, if needed add one of those thin transparent leveler pipes that most contractors use for leveling surfaces and walls. I am going to do it next time I visit MASS.
Old 9th February 2016, 09:45   #98
BHPian

Swift DZire 2014 ZXi : Windshield water stinking

Dear Fellows,

The water in my windshield reservoir tank is stinking like something is dead in it. Have been using soap water and distilled water only except for a time when I added tap water.

Since then its been stinking so bad. I have tried draining it and then refilling it with fresh distilled water and then then draining it and then repeating it until the stink settled down.

But, inspite of adding MGP windshield washer fluid, I am still getting that nasty smell. What do I do to clean the stink off ?
Old 9th February 2016, 09:56   #99
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Swift DZire 2014 ZXi : Windshield water stinking

Only way is to remove the fluid tank and clean it. Before that check if you can peep into the opening and find something inside.
sagarpadaki is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th February 2016, 11:41   #100
BHPian

There is absolutely nothing in it sagarpadaki. I probed it with a torch light and did not see anything in it and there is no visible microbial growth.

I have Lizol / Harpic / Iso Propyl Alcohol in my kit. I m not sure if it will affect the plastic and other components if used.

Any idea how to disinfect and neutralize it without dismantling the tank !!!!

I am worried that it might spread to the A/C too which I m maintaining diligently. And do not want to infect myself or anyone if accidentally sprayed when washing the glass in traffic.

Last edited by prithm : 9th February 2016 at 11:44.
Old 10th February 2016, 14:29   #101
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithm View Post
There is absolutely nothing in it sagarpadaki. I probed it with a torch light and did not see anything in it and there is no visible microbial growth.

I have Lizol / Harpic / Iso Propyl Alcohol in my kit. I m not sure if it will affect the plastic and other components if used.

I am worried that it might spread to the A/C too which I m maintaining diligently. And do not want to infect myself or anyone if accidentally sprayed when washing the glass in traffic.
One option is to dry it completely . Spray all the fluid .Once there is no longer any fluid coming then keep the reservoir tank cap open and run for a few days. The heat of the engine bay should evaporate any fluid that is left. This way you can dry the tank.

Do not put the mentioned chemicals into the tank. The piping and the spray motor will go for a toss
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2016, 10:19   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Agree with above post of Sagar. Utilize all the liquid in the contraption. See that you are in Hyd. The heat would help dry up the tank in minutes. Leave the bonnet and the cap open for an hour. Maybe that would help. Am still surprised how tap water can contribute to foul smell. Just to be doubly sure, maybe travel a little to the underbody chassis and check for any dead rodents or lizards as well. They can cause ominous stink!
FuelInjector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2016, 20:07   #103
BHPian

The problem is recurrent problem. No rodents in the engine bay and its a nightmare in DZire to get the washer bottle dismantled. It just has been kept in so low and close to radiator, it will take me a day to just reach it.

Any disinfectant that I can use safely dissolve all the microbial growth in it ?
Old 16th February 2016, 08:05   #104
BHPian

Quote:
The problem is recurrent problem. No rodents in the engine bay and its a nightmare in DZire to get the washer bottle dismantled. It just has been kept in so low and close to radiator, it will take me a day to just reach it.

Any disinfectant that I can use safely dissolve all the microbial growth in it ?
Pour in 2 caps full of Lizol and let it sit for few hours. You can than use a hose connected top a tap to to flow out all the water from the container. Fill with fresh water and you should be fine.
sanjeevgpc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2016, 09:21   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Kiwi DrainX. It doesn't affect plastic/rubber but kills the stinking stuff. Don't shove down the whole packet.. just try small portions.
It will release gas (i think its chlorine, but don't know for sure) after reacting with moisture. Keep the cap open so that the gas can escape.

I also use Vinegar and Baking Soda combo to clean out any moss/bacteria/fungus etc.

I have NEVER tried it on a washer fluid tank, but I have cleaned Sintex and Cement water tanks using these methods.

Last edited by freedom : 16th February 2016 at 09:24.
freedom is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed