Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2007, 20:23   #1
Senior - BHPian

Car banged. Gear shifting problem!

Two days back some one came and banged against my car . Since the other guy was willing to pay for the damage , I agreed to let him go on the condition that he will fully pay for the damage caused . As he had said he kept his word and he got my car repaired.

Now the problem is ,there is something wrong with the gear box. It simply doest feel the same. At first I thought may be its just a feeling coz I hadnt driven that car for 4 days but that wasnt the case coz.
1. The gear doesnt shift to reverse without lifting the sleeve. It wasnt like that before . Now am not compalining about this , the point is why is it like that now ?
2. I shifft gears quite fast hence the path that a gear traces when its shifted from on to another is stored in my memory and its not again the same . On careful observation I noticed that the shift from 3 to 4 doesnt follow a straight line. I am sure coz I love fast shifting from 3 to 4 and 4 to 3.

Help me guys ! What can be wrong ? Is it my feeling or am I worrying for the right reasons ?
Old 13th September 2007, 20:28   #2
BHPian

Just check if clutch settings got changed in repairs, if yes, it's 10 mins job. Recently I changed my clutch plate and had similar problems. I got it fix in 10 mins.
Old 13th September 2007, 20:33   #3

>1. The gear doesnt shift to reverse without lifting the sleeve

maxbhp, do you mean prior to the incident you could shift to reverse withOUT lifting the sleeve around the neck of the gear knob? If so, isn't that itself a problem? I mean, you have been continuously defeating the accidental reverse shift protection and must have worn that out clean.
Old 13th September 2007, 22:05   #4
BHPian

Was your Car in gear when it was hit.?
If yes then the linkage from the lever to the gear box can be damaged...
Old 13th September 2007, 22:09   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirantanaranya View Post
>1. The gear doesnt shift to reverse without lifting the sleeve

maxbhp, do you mean prior to the incident you could shift to reverse withOUT lifting the sleeve around the neck of the gear knob? If so, isn't that itself a problem? I mean, you have been continuously defeating the accidental reverse shift protection and must have worn that out clean.
I understand that part as previously this car had been used in our factory by many drivers , so basically I got in that shape . But......the question is Why is it behaving this way now ? And the worst thing is After having an argument with him , what he asked me was " Aren't the gears shifting well now ? " , I told him that its none of his business coz I didnt ask him to touch that part !!!!!!!! All I had asked him was to paint .

The real reason is at around the same time a sienna came into the same garage with a broken sleeve as the driver tried to engage the reverse gear without pulling it . And I suppose some of my parts has gone in that.

Now coming back to my story , during the argument I asked him about the other Sienna , he's like , Which one ? We never attended to any other sienna during that week.

So after that am pretty sure.....the guy has surely made some gud bud !

But now what am really worried is why is the 3-4 not shifting in a straight line ? It goes down from 3 to neutral straight , but from neutral to 4th , it sort of moves towards the left a bit !!!!
Old 13th September 2007, 22:11   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetlife View Post
Was your Car in gear when it was hit.?
If yes then the linkage from the lever to the gear box can be damaged...
No re , There was no hit as such , A blood leaner scraped along the side of my car. Thats all . Just one clean line from the front fender to rear.
Old 13th September 2007, 22:12   #7
Senior - BHPian

And the worst thing is , now the gear seems to be a bit tight . Previously it was loose and free. Now its definetely not loose , and the spring action is missing.
Old 13th September 2007, 22:26   #8
BHPian

which garage did u give it to?? its possible that he could have told the mech to change some parts to bring his bill costs down.. or maybe he just messed it up to trouble u...
why did he pick on the gears question??
most probably the parts were changed!
Old 13th September 2007, 22:30   #9
Team-BHP Support

i really dont think gear box issue has anything to do with banging unless its a very serious one (which you posted is not).

check your clutch setting as well as gear linkages/cables/bushes.
Old 14th September 2007, 07:09   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post
which garage did u give it to?? its possible that he could have told the mech to change some parts to bring his bill costs down.. or maybe he just messed it up to trouble u...
why did he pick on the gears question??
most probably the parts were changed!
Not the usual one. If it had been the usual one , I wouldnt worry so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
i really dont think gear box issue has anything to do with banging unless its a very serious one (which you posted is not).

check your clutch setting as well as gear linkages/cables/bushes.
I will . I am taking the car to my usual guy and lets see what he has to say about this.
Old 14th September 2007, 09:48   #11
Senior - BHPian

Just came back fromt the work shop happy . Here is what happened.

Went there with a few of my friends in a couple of cars. Asked him in a decent way what had really happened . The guy insisted I was acting paranoid and there was no cause for such an outburst. At that moment I called up my usual service people , told them the incident , They came right over and assured me that the gear is surely been tampered though the guy wasnt sure about the real cause . So now 100% confident that its no more a feeling . Went back to the workshop blasted the living **** of the people there and when one of my accompany got physical he finally admitted that one of the service boys had broken the lever and that we can check on that matter again.......I told him my *** to your ****ing workshop , I assured him that he is going to loose lot of customers .

Finally he asked me to brink it back on a day the car is free and he will repair everything free of cost .

Problem solved and am a happy man again !.
Old 14th September 2007, 10:45   #12
Team-BHP Support

broken the lever? now how did he manage that? or is it just a cover up to avoid further confrontations?
Old 14th September 2007, 21:40   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
broken the lever? now how did he manage that? or is it just a cover up to avoid further confrontations?
He has obviously changed the part with the other sienna, he just doesnt want to admit that coz that can spoil his repo beyond repair.
Old 15th September 2007, 00:35   #14

I hope this sort of swaps were not done at a Fiat authorized workshop (I assume that you have a Sienna). No offences buddy, but if it was a wayside shop, what prevented you from sticking to the authorized guys for such serious jobs?
Old 15th September 2007, 08:11   #15
BANNED

Man! You have been to some good experiences. Voila! You came out in a not very badly hurt condition. You're also lucky that the OTHER Siena didn't come in with a more serious injury. Anyway, you're safe, sound and happy now!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks