Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2007, 09:51   #1
Senior - BHPian

Safari Dicor jerking

Hi. Maybe somebody could help me with this.
My Dicor has done 37K kms and I've had a whale of a time getting here.
I have been having a prolem for sometime and the symptoms are as detailed.
When I accelerate and then take my foot off the pedal the car slows, with a noticeable jerk, about a second after i remove my foot. When i accelerate suddenly, the jerk is noticed again.
This same jerk is present when I shift gears fast and release the clutch pedal fast (as in trying to maintain the momentum).
The problem was quite accute till last week, when the TATA service engineer decided to change my flywheel and clutch plate housing due to scouring and clutch plates due to uneven heat marks and weak torque springs).
The jerk is now reduced but still very evident, which has led me to believe that the problems in the clutch and flywheel, were actually created and compounded by the jerking problem and not the cause of it.
The prop shaft has been checked for play, the stars have been checked, the diff. play is well within limits and the centre joint bed is fine.
Any ideas guys?
Old 15th September 2007, 10:45   #2
BHPian

Umm! I don't know if this exists on diesel engines too, have the throttle body checked & cleaned? I was suggested that for exactly same jerk as you.

cya
A
Old 15th September 2007, 11:01   #3
Senior - BHPian

Didnt you read the fine print during the sale, they've mentioned all these and 100 other nagging problems with their vehicles being sold to you in their invoice, obviously as a good gesture, free of cost

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyobeb View Post
When I accelerate and then take my foot off the pedal the car slows, with a noticeable jerk, about a second after i remove my foot. When i accelerate suddenly, the jerk is noticed again.
This same jerk is present when I shift gears fast and release the clutch pedal fast (as in trying to maintain the momentum).
The problem was quite accute till last week, when the TATA service engineer decided to change my flywheel and clutch plate housing due to scouring and clutch plates due to uneven heat marks and weak torque springs).
The jerk is now reduced but still very evident, which has led me to believe that the problems in the clutch and flywheel, were actually created and compounded by the jerking problem and not the cause of it.
The prop shaft has been checked for play, the stars have been checked, the diff. play is well within limits and the centre joint bed is fine.
Any ideas guys?
Dont worry, the SC will correct it, the above statement was on a lighter note
Old 15th September 2007, 11:36   #4
Senior - BHPian

Did you get the injectors checked. Maybe some gumming has formed resulting in erratic delivery of fuel when you deccelerate or suddenly accelerate..! Or the ECU is mis-behaving?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyobeb View Post
Any ideas guys?
Old 15th September 2007, 11:40   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Did you get the injectors checked. Maybe some gumming has formed resulting in erratic delivery of fuel when you deccelerate or suddenly accelerate..! Or the ECU is mis-behaving?
Just sent him a PM with the same diagnosis, doc - Fuel delivery.

Mr. Dadu your command over the english language is noteworthy - would you mind using it to say something useful? There's a gent here with a problem - just as Rahul had a problem earlier - acidic humour hasnt really helped either of them.

Last edited by Steeroid : 15th September 2007 at 11:41.
Old 15th September 2007, 11:51   #6
Senior - BHPian

Jyobeb:
I have experienced the same issue and it was diagnosed to faulty fuel filter, which in my case led to CEL (code: fuel delivery pressure to low /too high) The beast was jerking in the same manner as u have described..somethings really fishy about the fuel filter.(in another thread it was mentioned that the fuel filters across dicors are being replaced due to some design fault on need basis i guess so from Dockrats)

In a more linear term, it seems that lot of gunk is getting accumulated in the fuel tank. Wild thought, get your tank cleaned. (I guess you would have changed fuel filter @30k service). You can also try some other dicors fuel filter to see if it helps at all

Last edited by Rahulk76 : 15th September 2007 at 11:52.
Old 15th September 2007, 12:22   #7
Senior - BHPian

my intention was not to fuel the fire but to make him aware that these are known problems and can be corrected, but in a more lighter way, perhaps i was not able to, .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Just sent him a PM with the same diagnosis, doc - Fuel delivery.

Mr. Dadu your command over the english language is noteworthy - would you mind using it to say something useful? There's a gent here with a problem - just as Rahul had a problem earlier - acidic humour hasnt really helped either of them.
Old 15th September 2007, 12:29   #8
Senior - BHPian

Mods, can we please have a slight modification of the title of this thread?!
A bit of an innuendo or perhaps just a double entrende!
Old 15th September 2007, 12:39   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulk76 View Post
Jyobeb:
in another thread it was mentioned that the fuel filters across dicors are being replaced due to some design fault on need basis i guess so from Dockrats
'Dockrats' ......lol!
here you go rahulk76...

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...le-owners.html
Old 15th September 2007, 13:12   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorkats View Post
'Dockrats' ......lol!
no pun intended.. silly typo Doc.
Old 6th June 2009, 17:25   #11
BHPian

Even I am experiencing the same problem with my May 2008 dicor 2.2. As what happened with jyobeb the clutch plate assembly was changed and the jerk reduced with gears 3 to 4. But it still sustains while shifting from 2 to 3. The guys from concorde, bangalore came today to check the vehicle and are going to send their feedback to Tata engineers. TASS guy said he will mark the mail with a cc to me.
Old 6th June 2009, 17:35   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absar View Post
I was suggested that for exactly same jerk as you.
Gosh, didn't know such language was allowed on T-BHP in the good ol' days!
Old 6th June 2009, 22:14   #13
BHPian

Hey Guys,

I have a 3L Bought Sep 06 and I am surprised many have this issue....more surprised that even 2.2L has it!!!!

So here goes what happened with me. Had these issues till last month:

1.) Clutch too hard
2.) Jerking. Especially when shifting from 2nd to third gear. This would happen only when I change the gear > Release the clutch and > Accelerate. PLEASE

NOTE that this would not happen if I change the gear > Press Accelerate Pedal a little and >Release the clutch. (Jyobeb can you also try the second technique

and see if it happens)

Went to TASS and they opened the clutch to find this:

1.) Pressure plate burnt leading to hard clutch
2.) Clutch showed uneven wear probably due to pressure plate issue
3.) TASS Guy not too happy with release bearing

So the whole kit with Clutch Plate, Pressure Plate and Release Bearing was changed in Extended warranty. The clutch became unbelievably light. SO much that I

did not even care to check the jerking thing.

Finally after a few days when I settled form the extra happiness I got with a great light clutch:
1.) Clutch getting little coarse again. May be the spring issue
2.) Jerking specially noticeable in gear shift 2 to 3 and 4 to 5. Again the second technique worked. If you give a little race and release clucth no jerk

found. Please note that almost all drives at TASS do gear shift this way here in Hyderabad and hence they were initially not able to replicate jerk

issue in their test drives

So Finally I was left with these jerks.

In the meanwhile something else happened. Initial days after service, when I used to switch the car off, there was a weird noise from silencer end. I thought

it was touching somewhere. TASS saw and fixed it. But they noticed something else. There is a pipe parallel to Fuel Tank and next to it. This is supposed to

connect the suspensions as well. When the guy hit ti, it made a noise. Diagnosis: Bushes gone Kaput at both ends. Cost: Rs 2,000. I asked the guy not to

change the bush as I was in Hurry that day and just asked a technical guy what would happen if I dont get it fixed. Wanted to check if it harms a lot. AND

GUESS WHAT!! He said noting sir...if you dont change this, when u shift gears, you will experience a jerk ?@#<>!*&

Status As On Date !!! Did not get time to get bushes changed.Just acclerating a little befor releasing cluctch...Tata Driver's guidance is helping me so far,

Hope all above is of some help...

Rajeev

Last edited by rajismine : 6th June 2009 at 22:17.
Old 7th June 2009, 02:40   #14
Senior - BHPian

I have faced this Jerking problem in my 3.0 Ltr after the Diesel Filter change at 30k service.

It was more pronounced while shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear and during the initial 10-15 mins of vehicle driving.

And this problem aggravated while i went to hills.So, wi was sure that its due to something with the Diesel Filter and like Steeroid already metioned too.

I told TASS about the same and they cleaned the injectors and checked the fuel delivery system.

And this problem is not faced after that.
Old 10th June 2009, 12:58   #15
BHPian

The guy from Concorde said he is going to send an email to tata's engineer and would keep a cc to me. The vehicle is under "observation" after the second service and they wanted me to drive the vehicle for another 1000kms and come back with the feedback.

In my case too the entire clutch assembly was changed in the first service and problems were limited to second to third gear shift. Its not very evident now and the problem happens when the clutch is released fast. if its done in a controlled manner by releasing the clutch very slowly it does create much of an issue. Hope we will see some resolution soon.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks