Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2007, 13:32   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by doomsday View Post
Way wrong, I must say. On the contrary the soundtrack was pure musical bliss, unlike anything one might expect the puny 800 to sound like with its small 3-pot mill.

P.S. Just went out and shot the video. Will be uploading it soon.
Wow man, now I gotta do this on my 800! Go baby go!
Old 18th September 2007, 16:49   #62

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

well all i see is members talking about fuel bill,students,working etc etc while nobody has even tried to answer the query.
@doomsday:even i have tried the same on the nch vtec,ford ikon 1.6,zen and siena 1.6 and out of all the above cars mentioned,only the ikon and siena seem to wheelspin from 1st to 2nd.
even i havent found the exact reason for this but the only thing common between the ikon and siena is lots of torque low down in the powerband.this could be the reason.
Old 18th September 2007, 19:01   #63
BHPian

Give me your car

Whoever advocating that kind of R&D on other's car (car bought by somebody else), I ask them to please let me have their car (bought by their own money-mind you) then i will show what kind of R&D can be done in car.

And I challenge nobody will come forward. Now I stop on this. period..........
Old 18th September 2007, 19:44   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek_pinkoo View Post
Whoever advocating that kind of R&D on other's car (car bought by somebody else), I ask them to please let me have their car (bought by their own money-mind you) then i will show what kind of R&D can be done in car.

And I challenge nobody will come forward. Now I stop on this. period..........
As long as the 'lender' doesn't seem to have any problem with 'R&D' performed on their car why are you bothered? Here somebody is doing something with a car belonging to his friend and with his approval.

And doomsday is not trying to show anybody what kind of r&d he did on the car. He just asked a question which he was looking for an answer.

If you want to show off your R&D skills, be our guest, entertain us all, do it on your car or on your friend's car if he's willing to lend it to you.
Old 18th September 2007, 20:30   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
If you get wheel-spin on starting, you are simply wasting power. If you get it any other time.... well, you shouldn't surely? wheelspin means no grip, and no grip means dangerous.

Try to make the whole relationship between your engine and the road a s m o o t h one: I think you'll find it worthwhile!
I think we should not offer driving advice to someone who hasn't asked for it. Thanks.

Quote:
No offense , but I am finding that all the favorable comments (advocating this kind of so called R&D) are coming from student category of TEAM-bhpian who do not drive the vehicle form their hard earned money rather parent's money.

I mean to say that what ever you are doing do with your own money or you are supposed to do that as professional task.
Excuse me, but am I missing something here? I think that kind of generalization is not called for. It is like saying people in 30s and 40s are an awful lot jealous and try to advise unnecessarily because we in our 20s earn much more than them. I hope you get the point. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Is it still possible that some 'divine' explanation will suddenly make an appearance?

Wheelspin, in ANY circumstance, is undesirable.

Redlining an engine is not something people do with cars they have bought with hard earned money. Give us a 'sponsored' vehicle, we'll give it a workout that will send its pistons into geo-synchronous orbit.
It is not really compulsory to post. I know that applies to me as well, but looking at compounded flaming, I decided to post (Read the last line of this post). If you can't contribute, please feel comfortable to not say anything. Someone else may post something useful. This thread is still alive. And remember that talking about OT, your post was as OT as mine is. Do I need to say that we're going nowhere?

Probably this is my first total OT post, hopefully the last one as well. Sorry mods.
Old 18th September 2007, 20:46   #66
Senior - BHPian

Nobody needs to prove anything here.There are owners who take their cars to the redline.There are people who buy cars which redline at 8000rpm.There are people who mod their indian cars to power-rev at13,000rpm.
As for the rest,they aren't enthusiasts wrt automobiles.They should stick with buying a car based on its fuel efficiency,spare part prices,and resale value.

Afterall everybody has different interests.The world would be a sad sad place if everyone were alike.

Quote:
Redlining an engine is not something people do with cars they have bought with hard earned money.
Would you car to explain why?

I would request you not to generalise,especially on a forum whose logo is tacho with a needle on the redline.

Last edited by binz : 18th September 2007 at 20:47.
Old 19th September 2007, 10:38   #67
BHPian

All the reactions coming from student category only. (as I mentioned in my post)

Here I am not bothering I am just making the people understand the value of money but people do not seem to know.

Now open challenge - only those will reply to my post who fall in following category

1. Who redlining his car, bought by himself
or
2. Who borrow the car from friend and he knows the kind of driving your are doing and car bought by himself (your friend)
or
3. Who can drive his father or mother car before him/her the same manner as mentioned in the initial tread.

Bottom line is this please respect the money and it will respect you.

If the owner of the vehicle knows the kind of driving you are doing, then I don not have to say any thing. (The kind of remark I am getting is really .....I am really sorry for you people)

Last edited by vivek_pinkoo : 19th September 2007 at 10:40.
Old 19th September 2007, 11:08   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now open challenge - only those will reply to my post who fall in following category
not sure why you are so aggressive, but who needs a challenge like you are offering, and why shud anybody even respond to that. you have made you point, and i guess everybody respects their money.

the way you are putting your point is the best way to get ignored, in an online community, or even in society/family. unless it hurts you, i don't see why you should go on pretecting other's fathers' or friends' money.

EDIT: clarifying, I poked my nose first because I did not want a wheel spin to happen on roads, that hurts many others, it could be me tomorrow.

Last edited by vivekiny2k : 19th September 2007 at 11:09.
Old 19th September 2007, 11:24   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
not sure why you are so aggressive, but who needs a challenge like you are offering, and why shud anybody even respond to that. you have made you point, and i guess everybody respects their money.
aggressive? not at all. I put my point in logical way. It is up to you take it aggressive.

Quote:
the way you are putting your point is the best way to get ignored, in an online community, or even in society/family. unless it hurts you, i don't see why you should go on pretecting other's fathers' or friends' money.
Don't mind getting ignored. But any sensible person (in a open forum and community even, in the family) will keep raising voice and give the direction. It is up to the person to follow or ignored.

Quote:
EDIT: clarifying, I poked my nose first because I did not want a wheel spin to happen on roads, that hurts many others, it could be me tomorrow.
It is showing the mindset of the people. I could see the underlined reason behind that and tried to highlight it. And it not surprising to me the reaction are coming up in that way when you talk some thing sensible in a forum where majority say something else. It shows in our country politics and every other places.

Last edited by vivek_pinkoo : 19th September 2007 at 11:25.
Old 19th September 2007, 12:12   #70
Team-BHP Support

This post inspired me to do the exact opposite.
Drove my Wagon R from home to office without the RPM moving over 2k ever.

well ok ok..I overtook the auto and the bus and auto by scratching 2.5k on the rpm.

I am so bored....
ha ha ha.

guys take a chill pill, all of you.
and someone please answer the original question.

sometimes my wagon R does a wheel spin on the 2 to 3 move when I am climbing a steep gradient.

wanna know why, she does it.
Old 19th September 2007, 12:12   #71
Senior - BHPian

C'mon you 2 viveks! This is largely off-topic and it's going nowhere.
I'd like to present the following:

Strangely, to my eyes, even the logo's so called 'needle on the redline' is NOT REALLY ON THE REDLINE but a bit short of it. Attention to detail, anyone?

Now as for why I said what I did, there is no need to explain any further, particularly on a thread populated with so many learned people; because each of you knows the pro and cons (of why we do not redline engines of cars....blah, blah).

The logo for a certain well known brand of computers is an apple.
Where is the relationship between the logo and the product?
So let's not be peurile. Logos are logos; please don't read too much into them.
And if logos and products are to be that well linked then most threads on this forum are OT because they do not deal with the subject of redlining engines.

Now, getting back to the topic, I would like to quote:
Quote:
If it is about quick-shifting to get the best acceleration figures, then wheelspin should be completely avoided.
If it is about inducing wheelspin, then redlining the engine is not normally necessary. It is factors like torque curve, gear ratios, harsh or soft clutch, type of footwear and type of road surface that go toward deciding it.
And further,
Quote:
Do these wheelspins indicate how fast you are shifting? No, they do not.

Has anyone added anything significant to the above points? Of course you can take it model by model and whip it to death, but none of it goes towards answering the original query which is eloquently worded and says:

Quote:
Originally Posted by doomsday View Post
Why do the M800 and the Ikon wheelspin and squeal while shifting at the redline (almost), while the Baleno does not; even though the factors like road surface, shift time/style remains the same. Also mentioned is the fact that all three cars are running factory stock (including the rubber) and the odometer readings have been mentioned in post #4. Later I also wanted to know if these wheelspins/squeals are an indicator of how quick I am shifting, coz AFAIK I am shifting equally quick in all the three cars from my end. (i.e. not taking into consideration the mechanical factors like the gearbox throw and gear ratios)

So what actually causes these wheelspins? Is it the gearbox alone or another factor/combination of other factors mentioned earlier?
Have these questions not really been answered yet? Or am I missing something here?

And I am saying nothing in my post regarding the AGE of the honourable members here. I have great respect for age: young age!! Which is not mutually exclusive though; I also have great respect for elders - they bring a wealth of experience, usually, though not always.
And finally, to take it step-by-step, here is another 'point of view' for your consideration:
Quote:
Originally Posted by binz View Post
There are owners who take their cars to the redline
A lot of them wind up doing it in ignorance.
Quote:
There are people who buy cars which redline at 8000rpm.
Nobody chooses a car on that basis. It might happen to have redline at 8000.
Quote:
There are people who mod their indian cars to power-rev at 13,000rpm.
They, hopefully, know what they are doing, and are doing it for a PURPOSE. They KNOW the consequences, but they fall into what I call a 'priveleged category'! And I say this because you mentioned 'power-rev', so they were not chasing an rpm, per-se, but 'a meaningful power package' for a specific application, which might be simply 'an adrenaline rush'! Since we are only talking about non-professional, non-sponsored individuals, I truly envy them: hence I refer to them as the 'priveleged lot'! I envy them; I'm not jealous of them, and I wish I could also afford something akin. (I'm clarifying lest a war breaks out)!
Cheers!
Old 19th September 2007, 13:39   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post

sometimes my wagon R does a wheel spin on the 2 to 3 move when I am climbing a steep gradient.

wanna know why, she does it.
Because there is not much friction between wheels and surface. Try tha same with fully loaded car (five people on board) and see.
Old 19th September 2007, 14:13   #73
Senior - BHPian

Sorry, in my post above, there is a spelling mistaketwice over: PREVELEGED. That should be PRIVILEGED.
Old 19th September 2007, 14:15   #74
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Because there is not much friction between wheels and surface. Try tha same with fully loaded car (five people on board) and see.

and my wife feels I should loose some weight.

makes sense. the climb up was also very broken. maybe the car just bounced on something.
this was my first wheelspin, did not really like it.
Old 19th September 2007, 14:33   #75
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
If you get wheel-spin on starting, you are simply wasting power. If you get it any other time.... well, you shouldn't surely? wheelspin means no grip, and no grip means dangerous.

Try to make the whole relationship between your engine and the road a s m o o t h one: I think you'll find it worthwhile!
so it means that all the rally drivers and drag racers simply waste power during starting by spinning their wheels??

Most Viewed