Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2007, 22:45   #1
Senior - BHPian

Car was half submerged in water - What to do?

Due to the rains on Thursday our office basement got flooded and my car (Matiz) which was parked there got half submerged in water. Only today were they able to clear out all the water and mud from the basement.

I took a look at the car had been wet till the seats. There's mud on the car floor.

Now, what are the steps to be taken. I've not tried starting the car.

What would be damage involved?
How much would I have to shell out?
Can I claim insurance.

I don't want to claim insurance as I have a 45% no claim bonus which I don't want to ruin for no fault of mine. I'm trying to see if the office/facilities will pick up the tab.
Old 18th September 2007, 05:00   #2
Team-BHP Support

Inform the insurance immediately and get an estimate for the car from honda. Also understand what your contribution will be!!

If the claimable amount is more than your premium, go ahead via insurance. No need to spend 40000 to save Rs 15000 unless you are going for a merc next year.
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2007, 05:23   #3
Team-BHP Support

Matiz? I suppose not much is lost because its not a fully electronic car like new ones
Don't claim insurance, see a mechanic
Try to get the facilities to pay, its their responsibility.
Old 18th September 2007, 07:19   #4

Car was half submerged in water - What to do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Matiz? I suppose not much is lost because its not a fully electronic car like new ones
Don't claim insurance, see a mechanic
Try to get the facilities to pay, its their responsibility.

Facilities to pay, dont think that would happen. Just to Quote outside india in many companies employees are required to take care of parking since its thier own Car

Anyway there is nothing wrong in giving it a shot.
Old 18th September 2007, 09:37   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Inform the insurance immediately and get an estimate for the car from honda.
Thats a matiz. I don't think Insurance will help much. Just get the car towed (do not attempt to start) to your mechanic's & get it serviced.
Old 18th September 2007, 09:46   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Thats a matiz. I don't think Insurance will help much. Just get the car towed (do not attempt to start) to your mechanic's & get it serviced.
Yes this is exactly what you need to do. Please do not attempt to start the car. This will ruin the car's engine and transmission. car bearings will also be damaged if not serviced.
Old 18th September 2007, 09:55   #7
Senior - BHPian

The ECM module would have taken in water and conked off, and would definitely have to be replaced. Please get it to the workshop fast since the axle shafts, brake drums and tensioner assembles will start taking on rust, affecting the bearings, etc, and if you don't get them cleaned out fast, you may have to replace them at very high cost. Please keep in mind that when insurance companies honour claims, they will take into account the resale value of teh car notwithstanding the amount insured (and in the case of Matiz, that means very irrelevant sums will be paid out by the insurer).

And please don't even turn the ignition - simply have it towed to the workshop immediately. Since the car was parked, you are lucky that teh engine will not be damaged, but the exhaust pipe assembly may be.
Old 18th September 2007, 10:14   #8
Senior - BHPian

You wont find that kind of replacement spares of matiz noswadays unless you are buying from the junk dealers or some of the common ones can be used from spark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
The ECM module would have taken in water and conked off, and would definitely have to be replaced. Please get it to the workshop fast since the axle shafts, brake drums and tensioner assembles will start taking on rust, affecting the bearings, etc, and if you don't get them cleaned out fast, you may have to replace them at very high cost. Please keep in mind that when insurance companies honour claims, they will take into account the resale value of teh car notwithstanding the amount insured (and in the case of Matiz, that means very irrelevant sums will be paid out by the insurer).

And please don't even turn the ignition - simply have it towed to the workshop immediately. Since the car was parked, you are lucky that teh engine will not be damaged, but the exhaust pipe assembly may be.
Old 18th September 2007, 10:19   #9
BHPian

Get an estimate of the damages and then decide whether to file the claim based on your calculations.

As said earlier just tow away the car and dont attempt to start it.

I am not sure how you ran into this situation, you should have moved out your car. In worst case wrap the silencer with good amount of plastic to make sure that water doesn't get into the engine through exhaust pipes. But this is not a guarantee and is a short measure for say an hour and is advisable before you get somebody to push your car out of the water.
Old 18th September 2007, 11:02   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
You wont find that kind of replacement spares of matiz noswadays unless you are buying from the junk dealers or some of the common ones can be used from spark.
Spares are no problem in Bombay, although you have to be careful that you go to the ex-Matiz dealers/service centres who know the car's engineering and have their own supply chains for the spares. Nonetheless, one hasto be careful that used parts and sub-standard parts (happens with things like exhaust pipes) are not used.

Please make an assessment whether you will get insurance claim settlement before you undertake any costly repairs. The current resale value of the car may not justify any expensive investments on repairs with your own money.
Old 18th September 2007, 11:22   #11
BHPian

A little bit off topic.

I have seen the avaith Huyndai guys trying to start another half submergred santro in our office basement.Looks like the battery was darined up and they connected another additional battery and trying to start the car. They would have tried this at least for 5 minutes and i could see lot of mud and wter coming out throug the exhaust pipe. Finally they have given up towed the car away !!!!
Old 18th September 2007, 11:59   #12
Senior - BHPian

I just heard from someone that for flood damage insurance claims the car has to be visited on the spot instead of it being towed away and then checked?

Is that true? I've been unable to contact New India Insurance.

Anyone having a good tow company no.

thanks for all the suggestions. Yes I've not started it. That much I knew. :-)

Was unable to take the car as the flooding happened within a few minutes as a barrier wall in our complex broke and all the water collected behind it rushed through to the basement which is just a few metres away.
Old 18th September 2007, 12:03   #13
BHPian

Who's the insurance company and what year of make is your Matiz?
In all probability your car may have been insured for a paltry 1 lac by the insurer, which would mean a insurance premium of Rs.3500
Losing a no claims discount isn't much in such a case (a loss of Rs.4000 approx)
I would say go for an insurance claim without batting an eyelid.
Old 18th September 2007, 12:18   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorkats View Post
Who's the insurance company and what year of make is your Matiz?
In all probability your car may have been insured for a paltry 1 lac by the insurer, which would mean a insurance premium of Rs.3500
Losing a no claims discount isn't much in such a case (a loss of Rs.4000 approx)
I would say go for an insurance claim without batting an eyelid.
New India Assurance. 2001 Matiz.

Yes I know that. Just that I might be buying a new car and thought that I'll move the 45% no claim to the new car.
Old 18th September 2007, 12:30   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csentil View Post
New India Assurance. 2001 Matiz.

Yes I know that. Just that I might be buying a new car and thought that I'll move the 45% no claim to the new car.
Okay, then thats a different matter altogether.
I think New India would have made you sign a voluntary excess clause too for the Matiz.
Whats the estimate like?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks