Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2007, 14:39   #1
BHPian

Servicing car as per the kms listed by Car maker?

Hi,

I own a Ford Ikon flair 2006 and my running is very less only in City with office quiet close to my place and I keep travelling every fortnight out on Business travel.

Considering this, my car is natrually does less kms around 6000+ since 2006 May.

I seeking clarifications, is it a must to get the car serviced as per no Kms it reaches or by or by the time( months/yrs)?

If its by the time, can some one explain what are those vital apescts which needs the car to be serviced.

I noticed during one of the service visit, the engine oil is not dark or thick, but the service folks insisted to change and so I have got it changed.

Pls. share your thoughts here.
Old 18th September 2007, 15:09   #2
Senior - BHPian

One should stick to the number of KM's run for your routine servicing, like tuning, wheel balancing, tyre rotation but in your case since your overall running is too low. You should get an oil change done half yearly, since oil viscosity increase over time (even if not used) and therefore needs a change.

I suggest you should get a complete servicing done every 6 months, irrespective of you running under these circumstances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VC12 View Post
Hi,

I own a Ford Ikon flair 2006 and my running is very less only in City with office quiet close to my place and I keep travelling every fortnight out on Business travel.

Considering this, my car is natrually does less kms around 6000+ since 2006 May.

I seeking clarifications, is it a must to get the car serviced as per no Kms it reaches or by or by the time( months/yrs)?

If its by the time, can some one explain what are those vital apescts which needs the car to be serviced.

I noticed during one of the service visit, the engine oil is not dark or thick, but the service folks insisted to change and so I have got it changed.

Pls. share your thoughts here.
Old 18th September 2007, 15:20   #3
BHPian

Thank you Dadu,

Let me know any specific check list I need to ensure while get the service done.

In terms of oil change , which oils( brake, engine, clutch, power streeing.. etc) are vital to be changed?
Old 18th September 2007, 15:36   #4
BHPian

Get your engine oil changed as suggested by dadu.

Keep a regular check on the levels of the following:
  1. Powe steering oil
  2. brake oil
  3. coolant
The service checklist would be given in your car's service book.

The checklist is usually printed at the back of service slips.

You can also request the service centre to give you a one sheeter (service checlist), which they use.
Old 18th September 2007, 23:41   #5
Team-BHP Support

stick to service intervals, in your case months. with your kind of running periodic check up every 6 months is fine, instruct service guys to do a overall check up instead of routine repair and replace job.

routine check list is available with all manufacturer, follow that and then decide if any job is required, will cost you 600 to 800 bucks max (each visit) between 10 k kms marks. once you reach 10k km mark, do the prescribed service for that interval.

unless you demand, they will follow the clock work procedure of doing 10k service (iKON) on each visit.
Old 30th September 2007, 05:22   #6
BHPian

Quote:

I seeking clarifications, is it a must to get the car serviced as per no Kms it reaches by or by the time( months/yrs)?
PLEASE Follow what the owner's manual or service guide supplied with the car, AS the manufacturer RECOMMENDS.... The guys who compile these documents are Automotive Engineers and Aotomotive Technicians with at least 15 years of experience under them in this field......
Quote:
If its by the time, can some one explain what are those vital aspects which needs the car to be serviced.
Remember there will be the THREE free service and then the paid service coupons, it will be mentioned on that.(it is a set rule, that the info should be given.)

Quote:
Ya oil by its nature will not turn bad, but the additives that are added in the Oil during manufacturing tend to do the harm over time, specially you will have a lot of waxing over the valves, in the valve stems, in the ring groves, bearing gaps and that wax will spoil the flow to and from the oilfilter (causing something called dry starts, which will REALLY hurt the engine). So its better to change oil if your not using the car a lot, by the time schedule mentioned by the manufacturer.

Last edited by memo45_m : 30th September 2007 at 05:34.
Old 3rd October 2007, 10:58   #7
BHPian

Thanks Memo,

I intend to get in new oils as prescribed in service check list...

I dod agree even the oil appear neat but it vicosity levels may vary and hence the works manager suggeste dto keep this changed as well.

Cheers!!!
Old 23rd April 2010, 18:13   #8
BHPian

Santro 90 k service

Hello everyone

My Santro has done 90 k and is now due for her 90 k service. Could someone please tell me what this entails in terms of service, parts that need to be mandatorily replaced etc and how much it would make my wallet lighter by approximately.

Thank you.
Old 27th April 2010, 00:21   #9
Senior - BHPian

@msetlur, this information should be available in your owner's manual.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks