Team-BHP - Power valves - What are they / how do they work?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   Power valves - What are they / how do they work? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/28991-power-valves-what-they-how-do-they-work.html)

Guys, Im a little confused with this terminology "Power valves"
I came across this in one of the posts in TBHP by Veyron1...
I used to think it was something to do with bikes and 2 strokes etc.
Can anyone can provide more info,links etc what this is and where is it used in cars ? I tried google but it kept showing me stuff related to bikes etc but nothing related to cars.
Is it something too exotic and found only in "concept" engines?

yamaha patented tech is power valve.

It is a round cylindrical device which sits just outside the exhaust port of a power valve equipped two stroke motor. This device will alter the exhaust port timings in accordance with the rpm of the motor. At low rpm the exhaust port is partially closed to provide good low end torque and as the rpm increases the power valve opens up the exhaust port and thus allowing the engine to revv higher and make more power at the top end. The movement of the power valve is controlled electronically using a servo motor which gets the signal from the ignition module.

Kawasaki, Suzuki and Honda also tried their bit with the power valve system but they call it using different names.

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazydiablo (Post 568294)
yamaha patented tech is power valve.

Thanks , in short you mean its got nothing do with "cars" :)

I was told it is found in VGT or very high end turbocharged engines..like the ones found in WRC and they are located between the intake runner and the TB's to regulate boost etc...I really dont know.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sankar (Post 568376)
It is a round cylindrical device which sits just outside the exhaust port of a power valve equipped two stroke motor. This device will alter the exhaust port timings in accordance with the rpm of the motor. At low rpm the exhaust port is partially closed to provide good low end torque and as the rpm increases the power valve opens up the exhaust port and thus allowing the engine to revv higher and make more power at the top end. The movement of the power valve is controlled electronically using a servo motor which gets the signal from the ignition module.

Kawasaki, Suzuki and Honda also tried their bit with the power valve system but they call it using different names.

hmm..thats why I was so confused - never heard of it in cars.
dude so you are sure its got definately nothing to do with cars and the intake system, like used for regulating boost in between the TB and the intake runner..?
Hey Veyron1, your comments ? Im sure Veyron1 is trying to take me for a ride on this WRC "power valve" :)

No, chetan. Not trying to take anybody for any ride on any "WRC" cars. Perhaps I'm not aware of the exact technical term for the device. I shall try to get the exact jargon for you, as you'd like.

Clear you inbox, pal. Tried to PM you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by veyron1 (Post 568452)
No, chetan. Not trying to take anybody for any ride on any "WRC" cars. Perhaps I'm not aware of the exact technical term for the device. I shall try to get the exact jargon for you, as you'd like.

Clear you inbox, pal. Tried to PM you.

Inbox cleared ... please PM

Document Abstract: this should tell you something chetan and its also termed as as sleeve valve i believe not sure though,read on ...2-stroke power valve system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sleeve valve - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

you know what forget what i said this should do the trick actually
Carburetor Valve Problems - Tech Article - Chevy High Performance Magazine

Quote:

Originally Posted by nitroxx (Post 591208)
Document Abstract: this should tell you something chetan and its also termed as as sleeve valve i believe not sure though,read on ...2-stroke power valve system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sleeve valve - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hey thanks Nitroxx .. this is what I was waiting for :thumbs up
Seems power valves is not something which is NOT found exclusively in very exotic engines, its even found in regular low end econo boxes too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nitroxx (Post 591221)
you know what forget what i said this should do the trick actually
Carburetor Valve Problems - Tech Article - Chevy High Performance Magazine

I just saw the link , dude this is for carb based fuelling systems, I was looking for only FI systems..thanks

a found a couple of links to forum posts about a few nissan engines running them and stuff thats all...

There is a power valve associated with the carbs, I recently got it replaced on my esteem.